My Cat Had A Spontaneous Abortion!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
0ADF8058-326C-40B6-BF11-4B9A2AC406E0.jpeg
Hello! This is my first thread on TCS!
I have a Ragdoll cat, about 1 year old and she was about 5 weeks pregnant. Just yesterday, I found 2 little pink kittens in her bed. They weren’t fully developed..:( this was her first litter. So I was wondering, is it possible that she is still pregnant and will give birth to more kittens later? I want to get her wormed but won’t risk it if there is a chance she is still carrying kittens.
Thank you guys!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that she has other kittens. Cats can spontaneously abort fetus that have a low chance of survival for the betterment of the others. It would be best to take her to a vet to confirm and ensure there isn't something going on with Mom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is possible that she has other kittens. Cats can spontaneously abort fetus that have a low chance of survival for the betterment of the others. It would be best to take her to a vet to confirm and ensure there isn't something going on with Mom.
Ok, thank you so much! Is it common for cats to do that?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, thank you so much! Is it common for cats to do that?
It's not super common but it also isn't uncommon, if that makes sense. You still want to check for medical problems with Mom to be safe but in most cases I've heard of it is related to the kittens development.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not super common but it also isn't uncommon, if that makes sense. You still want to check for medical problems with Mom to be safe but in most cases I've heard of it is related to the kittens development.
Yes, again thank you!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will it be safe to bathe her?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she isn't stressed out by baths and you aren't using a chemical shampoo, I don't see the harm.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she isn't stressed out by baths and you aren't using a chemical shampoo, I don't see the harm.
I would be using Dawn soap...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then as long as she doesn't get stressed by baths. You don't want to add to her stress and trigger additional problems.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then as long as she doesn't get stressed by baths. You don't want to add to her stress and trigger additional problems.
I don’t know how she would react to a bath... she hasn’t had any in a long time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So safest not to bathe her at this moment. Wait at least some till she has calmed down, got down the stress niveus.

Dont forget the vet check up, which shall be done asap you can manage it.
It not crash emergency if momma seems OK, but shall be done asap.
I don’t know how she would react to a bath... she hasn’t had any in a long time.

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So safest not to bathe her at this moment. Wait at least some till she has calmed down, got down the stress niveus.

Dont forget the vet check up, which shall be done asap you can manage it.
It not crash emergency if momma seems OK, but shall be done asap.
Ok, thank you! How much would a checkup be?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is Mom just chillin! I love her!
4D3F2EAF-8216-428B-BC08-AD54B769D927.jpeg
76E3FF1A-8D8C-460F-BAD1-DD7EC9044B3C.jpeg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet rates depend on the vet. You can call a few and ask.

Are you a breeder?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet rates depend on the vet. You can call a few and ask.

Are you a breeder?
Yes, I am just starting out. I got my Queens and King from a registered cattery. I am completely willing to take Mom to a vet it’s just that she is a very shy cat and I’m afraid that she will not enjoy going to a vet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m concerned that you don’t have a relationship with a vet already. Not all births go well, and you need to have someone accessible to you, who knows your cats. In addition, your cats really should be tested for genetic conditions like HCM before breeding.

Do you have a breeding mentor? Is your male separated from your females in your home?

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m concerned that you don’t have a relationship with a vet already. Not all births go well, and you need to have someone accessible to you, who knows your cats. In addition, your cats really should be tested for genetic conditions like HCM before breeding.

Do you have a breeding mentor? Is your male separated from your females in your home?
I have a experienced breeder who is mentoring me. My cats are tested and negative... yes my male has a room to himself. As for a vet, you are right. I haven’t yet established a strong relationship with any in my area... I have talked to several many times and I know exactly where to go and what to do in case of an emergency. I do plan on getting a vet very soon. My cat are healthy and I have done much research. I also have experience breeding many animals. I lived in the Philippines as a Missionary and I worked in the villages as a farmer. I had many many animals such as cows, horses, goats, ducks, geese, chickens, fish, turkeys, turtles, guinea pigs, rabbits, dogs, and don’t forget my beloved cats. I also have some veterinary experience because there are no reliable vets in the Philippines. I live in the US now... I know what I am doing and thank you for your concern.. not every breeder breeds in the best interest of their cats. I understand. Thank you though :)

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called vets and they said everything should be fine and I should just let her chill. Just tonight she gave birth to another kitten. It’s looks older. I’m not sure if it’s premature or if she is giving birth when she’s supposed to.