My Cat Got Angry

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was at my desk playing a game and Nyke jumped up there to see what's going on. I was right in the middle of something. He went to climb on my keyboard tray and I stuck my arm out and said no. He got angry and clawed me. He was getting ready to bite but I pulled my arm back. I totally quit doing what I was doing. I don't understand why he has such an attitude. I spent the hour before giving him attention. I wanted this time for me. I guess I'm not a very good cat mom.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm not a very good cat mom.
Don’t say that, and don’t read too much into it.

If you spent an hour prior to that with Nyke, he could easily have been overstimulated when you moved your arm.

Next time try hissing at him when he does something aggressive towards you. He doesn’t have siblings to teach him limits, no?

If you spent an hour playing with him, you’ve already done more than a lot of self-proclaimed cat lovers do who just get a cat and throw them in a corner like an accessory.

Feel free to ask any questions or state concerns :purr:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If my cat does that I distract her by throwing a toy. Keep one handy. She is 7 yrs old and has a temper if she doesn't get what she wants. She does not like noise on my tablet so she will bite. You could also put some catnip on the floor. My cats roll around in it and eat it. Or trixie puzzles or treat dispensers

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think he was angry, he was probably just frightened by the sudden gesture, and react the way any cat would react...

next time instead of sticking your arm into the line of fire, hiss really loudly into his face, and then gently push him away. My cat is very gentle and calm, but I've noticed that instinct takes hold of him before his brain, so if i stuck my hand suddenly at him, his first instinct is to attack, fortunately he is very fast at recognizing it as my hand, and will stop mid attack - this is a verrrry calm cat, so I can imagine that any other cat won't really know what they're attacking until they've done what instinct had them do.

It's the same when I want to bring my cat inside when he's starting to wander off after his potty break. if I run after him, his first instinct is to bolt. He will slow down after a bit when he realizes it's just me, but that's usually after I've chased him quite a distance. so I've found the best way is to approach him calmly and casually pick him up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I spent the hour before giving him attention. I wanted this time for me. I guess I'm not a very good cat mom.
If you played with him for an hour, then you certainly ARE NOT a "not very good cat mom". It's just that your cat obviously loves you, and wants to be with you all the time. That's not totally a bad thing, but you do have to have time to do things without an adorable furball trying to "help". And it's perfectly fine to put him out of the room when you need to do something.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

BTW, with the number of cats and computer memes, I think it's quite common for cats to try to "help" when their humans are using computers.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raja is the sweetest and most gentle cat I've ever known and even she has tried to nip me when something unexpected occurs. Once we were on the couch and I needed to shift my arm because it had fallen asleep so to move it, I had to place it under her. She didn't realize it was me and almost nipped my finger before she caught on. A stern "no" was all it took for her to realize it. It's ok, it happens.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's something of a size thing. Consider the size of the cat. consider your size. It must be slightly confusing to the cat to keep track of the fact that all of that is you. Particularly the smaller quicker moving parts.

I also don't think they understand how the computer could possibly be interesting. Well, unless you have birds or fish videos going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He got up on my computer desk last night while I was working. I decided to move to the sofa and called him over. We spent about 10-15 minutes cuddling and then he was Okay. So that will be my thing with him.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. Some times it's hard trying to figure out what to do.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well this time he attacked me for no reason. He jumped on my keboard tray twice. The first time I gave him attention. The second time I just let my hand rest on my mouse and I watched him. He decided to bit my hand three times. He was holding it in place with his claws. I'm really shocked by his behavior. I don't understand. Why would he be acting out all of a sudden?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to British studies cats can hear the electricity moving through wires. This means they can hear noises from the mouse that we can't. Okay, they can hear a bunch of high pitched noises we can't. Is your mouse old? Is it starting to make noises because of it's age? Did you drop it recently? Can you get a new mouse and see if that helps?

If you get a lazer mouse, and who doesn't, is he trying to chase the red light?

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You were staring at him? That can signal aggression to a cat.
I was just watching him. He was going back and forth side ways on the keyboard tray. I think he brushed his head against my hand. But I didn't move. Like I said, I was just observing him.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to British studies cats can hear the electricity moving through wires. This means they can hear noises from the mouse that we can't. Okay, they can hear a bunch of high pitched noises we can't. Is your mouse old? Is it starting to make noises because of it's age? Did you drop it recently? Can you get a new mouse and see if that helps?

If you get a lazer mouse, and who doesn't, is he trying to chase the red light?
Yes, it is over a year old and has been dropped a few times. That's a good idea to look into. He does like the laser mouse.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're also having a lot of static electricity right now. They can hear that, and more importantly, sometimes you can't hear it or feel it and they can. At least I assume they can since they jump occasionally when I can hear the pop when my hand is near them, and also when I can't.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try to train your cat to leave you alone when it's your "me time". The way I do it is to ignore him, or shut him out of my room entirely. It's okay for him to hang around in my room if he just wants to nap, but if he has the zoomies and start bouncing off the walls I put him outside and shut the door.

I don't recommend giving your cat attention when he demands it, if he succeeds distracting you even once during your me time, he will feel rewarded and be sure to try again. So the next time you ignore him when he seeks attention, he will try to escalate his behavior, which may or may not explain him trying to attack your arm. You will need to teach him that attacking your arm is not okay. Make sure to really hiss loudly at him, and then shut him out (or shut yourself somewhere he can't get to) then ignore him. Make your displeasure known, repeat this every time he attacks or try to play rough with you. Cats play really rough with each other, and it takes a while for them to realize that humans don't have the same protective fur that they do.

Personally I believe teaching my cat to work around my time, instead of being at my cat's beck and call. It's less frustration for both me and the cat when the expectations are clear (he demands attention during my me time = be ignored or kicked out). My cat is less than a year old, so he's still very active and can forget to tone it down sometimes, but generally speaking he's very well behaved. When I put him outside or my room, he knows I'm kicking him out and will leave me (and the door) alone until I'm ready to let him in again. And there's no hard feelings!

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had trouble with the constantly jumping up and walking around on the desk thing. Finally I took a basket and put a towel in it. She loves it. I let her walk in front of the keyboard a couple of times, then gently push her towards her basket. She will sometimes sleep there when I’m not even in the office.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Those sound like good approaches. I think his aggression is getting worse though. He was in my computer chair like he does from time to time. I talked softly to him and tried to pick him. I said we're going to the sofa and he tried to bite me. He's never done that before. I just jerked my hand away. He just had a check up. He's in good health. So I don't understand. I'm starting to think about surrender. Last year he attacked my arm while we were cuddling. I excused that. He's attacked me other times as well. I'm becoming afraid of him.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he didn't have an x-ray you don't know whether or not he has arthritis, neither does your vet. Vets don't usually suggest x-rays until cats are 10, but arthritis can happen at any age. My cat developed it before she was a year old. It formed on three of her vertebrata. Dasuquin has made her much nicer, less scratching, no biting.

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he didn't have an x-ray you don't know whether or not he has arthritis, neither does your vet. Vets don't usually suggest x-rays until cats are 10, but arthritis can happen at any age. My cat developed it before she was a year old. It formed on three of her vertebrata. Dasuquin has made her much nicer, less scratching, no biting.
I hadn't thought of that. He could need a more thorough exam. The more I think about it the more I want to try to work with him. Thanks for sharing.