My Cat Got A Fracture And I Need Ur Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
since I locked him in, he spread the litter all over the place out of the box, he spilt his water and milk on the ground beside the constant meowing.
I think either he or I gonna lose his/my mind xd

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your lucky your cat can drink milk ... lots of cats are lactose intolerant. He should calm down with his messes when he figures out he is trapped. If needed they make giant water bottles for cats/dogs that you can hang on the crate bars.

Since he is going to need crate rest for so long, can you possibly stick his crate in a room next to a window? Then hang a bird feeder on a stand or a tree near the window? That way he gets cat TV (the bird feeders that stick to the windows seem to not attract birds.) If my cat was on crate rest I would give him the bird window, light feather wand play (provided he only used his front paws) and I would probably give him a small plastic square beta tank (with a lid) that had a cricket home in it next to his crate.

My first thought when I heard your story was buying or renting a cat wheelchair. That way out of the crate you can strap it on and he can safely run around the house. I like the pin in the hip idea too! It might be worth asking your vet about.
*If you look up cat wheelchair, walmart sales one for cheap. This place lets you rent to buy on a 2 week basis. :

Cat Wheelchair Rentals - Only at K9 Carts Pet Mobility Experts Since 1961

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't there a risk of stiffness? I mean I got a fracture in my finger several months ago, and because of the cast it got stiff till today, I had to do to physiotherapy for months to get it somewhat mobilizable.
wouldn't my kitty in risk of that too? with a month exercise-free rest couldn't the joint get stiff and he'll face difficulties in future?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your lucky your cat can drink milk ... lots of cats are lactose intolerant. He should calm down with his messes when he figures out he is trapped. If needed they make giant water bottles for cats/dogs that you can hang on the crate bars.

Since he is going to need crate rest for so long, can you possibly stick his crate in a room next to a window? Then hang a bird feeder on a stand or a tree near the window? That way he gets cat TV (the bird feeders that stick to the windows seem to not attract birds.) If my cat was on crate rest I would give him the bird window, light feather wand play (provided he only used his front paws) and I would probably give him a small plastic square beta tank (with a lid) that had a cricket home in it next to his crate.

My first thought when I heard your story was buying or renting a cat wheelchair. That way out of the crate you can strap it on and he can safely run around the house. I like the pin in the hip idea too! It might be worth asking your vet about.
*If you look up cat wheelchair, walmart sales one for cheap. This place lets you rent to buy on a 2 week basis. :

Cat Wheelchair Rentals - Only at K9 Carts Pet Mobility Experts Since 1961
it is kittens milk, so it should be lactose-free.
yeah the bottle idea is great. but I did something else, I taped everything in the crate including the litter box to the crate, so he cannot move anything no matter how hard he tries.

yeah the window idea is nice too, but maybe I cannot do it because here the weather is kinda too hot [122 F] so If I do that I have to open the window [ since my windows are blurry] or take him to another room. the problem with the two options, if I open the window me and him will the room will be too hot and the AC won't be effective anymore. In other room, he will the temperature problem for him is still there and he won't like the idea of him being in a room alone.

also the problem is that the crate isn't that big [ 3.2 feetx1.6 f] and the litter box and the water/milk bowls take a lotta the space, so I cannot really put the the tank in.

if u have any other Ideas I'd really appreciate them

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cricket idea can work. You get a small plastic cage with the venitilated plastic lid on it. Then add some dirt, some twigs and maybe a piece or two of the egg carton (from the bottom half that holds the eggs) to give them tunnels. Plus cricket food and I think they need a moist cotton ball but you can Google it. The point is if you put 10 crickets in there you would have lots of random live critter movement to entertain your cat.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is the cat doing in this small crate?
well, he is doing fine now, I mean after he made me pay the price of locking him in and took him vengeance xd. He made a mess inside the crate although I taped everything to the crate he managed to spill the water, milk and litter all over the place, beside the constant meowing first 48 hrs.
But as Kieka Kieka said, he calmed down when he realized that all his protesting won't get him out, he's spending most of his time grooming or asking me to pet him, I think the rest of the months will go smooth.

Thank you for asking,
and thank you guys for helping me out, me and Tiger are grateful .

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope he heals well and quickly. Do you give him a break from the crate each day?
last night I thought of taking him to sleep next to my pillow [where he loves to sleep when I go to sleep], but I thought maybe this will get him through the I'm-locked-up-and-I-have-to-get-used-to-it again, and that can make things harder for me and him,
what u think? don't u agree?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he will need to adjust to coming out and going back in. It is not healthy for him to stay in the crate non-stop.
I just gave him a shower since I found him really messsed up when I got home and left him out to play and wander,
hopefully he won't make me suffer after I get him back in there.

p.s: his leg is surprisingly better, I saw him run and chase the other kitten, he's playing like there's no tomorrow atm

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry he's stressing over being in the crate. Hopefully he'll relax (and you too) as time goes on.

Here's an older thread that might be helpful:

What Made Your "confined-to-crate-rest" Cat Relax? Offer Some Handy Tips...

Plus:

Recovering Cats Needing Cage Rest
( rubysmama rubysmama - I was hoping that thread of mine would have more 'handy tips' responses from other TCS members, so I'm not sure how helpful it may turn out to be... -- but I like the 2nd article you posted! I hadn't seen it before; it's a good 'un.)

Hello, samyoz samyoz ! - If your vet indicated strict cage rest, you really need to not have the cat outside of his crate, moving around a lot and playing! It looks like a difficult injury to me, and limiting his movement for at least when the vet prescribed will let the soft tissues, and hopefully the bone, start to mend together and heal!

I know how HARD it is to have a young cat confined to a crate ... I had to confine my kitty twice, and for 8 weeks at a time each time! It is exhausting and hard, and I barely got any sleep. Even with my husband to help, it was hard and grueling. But it is only AFTER the enforced crate confinement that you can slowly let your cat walk for several weeks, then do more running and jumping. Doing this will hopefully help your cat heal more properly, even though I would have hoped he could have surgery with that kind of injury.

There is no getting around how stressful, involving and HARD it is. But I agree with Kieka, >> quote: ("From my experience you need to follow the vets guidance to the letter if your cat is going to heal properly. That means crate rest for the entire month. No free time no matter what. To do otherwise risks damaging the leg futher or causing permanent damage to your cat. ...")

Each time you let your kitten out to run and play, he is actually not letting the soft tissues mend themselves together -- which will hopefully help his bone to repair as best as it is able. You can actually injure the cat further by not following confined crate rest. I know you want him to run and play but, like your vet, I'd advise against it! Look at that xray! wow.

Hang in there! You are doing great by trying to reach out to others who can try to help you get through this.

Last edited:

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
guys, is it healthy for Tiger to watch the other kitten play freely while he's in the crate?
I mean it could be positive so he watches something instead of nothing,
but also could be provoking watching the other kitty free and he is imprisoned,

it's not like I have many choices since I live in a small apartment, but asking so if it is something too bad I may need to do something

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should be okay unless it makes him crazy.

When I said he should get a break from the crate, I did not mean run and play. I meant an hour out to lie on your bed and stretch a little. :)

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It should be okay unless it makes him crazy.

When I said he should get a break from the crate, I did not mean run and play. I meant an hour out to lie on your bed and stretch a little. :)
yeah I don't think It's possible, he'd go crazy the second he gets his head out of the crate, it's not feasible so he might need to have all the time inside

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can take him out and hold him on your lap for a few minutes daily. If not, then he should stay in the crate.
yea I think that's possible.
thanks