My Cat Got A Fracture And I Need Ur Help

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
so my cat got a fracture in his hip and the vets said that it cannot be cast and we have to let it heal naturally -if it will-,
The problem that they told me to separate him from the young kitten we have because he has to completely rest and not engage in any activity for the next month at least.
they told me so because I told them the kitten loves to wrestle with Tiger (the one got the fracture) and also Tiger sometimes attacks him and engages a long play session with the kitten.
the situation here is kinda complicated. I live in a very small apartment and I live alone. so if I put any of them out of my room or in a crate he'll be extremely vocal [from past experience]. and given the space of the whole apartment it's gonna be so annoying and I study most of the time and by having them separated I will have to feed/play with/groom/pet/switch twice, so everything will be doubled.
I don't say I won't ever do that, I mean I will if I have to but maybe there are some alternatives that I don't know.

I thought of maybe tie the kittens' leg so he cannot be so free that he wrestles or play.
I even tried put an e-collar on the kitten but still he'd attack Tiger and wrestle with him.

I'm totally willing to separate them if that is the only option. But I've been hoping you have some tricks/procedures that can do the job instead of the separation.

tell me what u think.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your cat's fractured hip. How did he injure himself? And how old is he?

It's only, hopefully, for a month, so I would take your vet's advice and do exactly what he recommended so that your cat has the best chance of having a full recovery.

And please don't tie the kitten's leg, or do anything that might cause him to become distressed. Just keep the 2 cats separated until the hip fracture is healed.

Sending vibes that the hip heals quickly. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your cat's fractured hip. How did he injure himself? And how old is he?

It's only, hopefully, for a month, so I would take your vet's advice and do exactly what he recommended so that your cat has the best chance of having a full recovery.

And please don't tie the kitten's leg, or do anything that might cause him to become distressed. Just keep the 2 cats separated until the hip fracture is healed.

Sending vibes that the hip heals quickly. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
he's 7-8 months old, the injury I don't how exactly happened, I was sleeping and I heard something fell in the hall and went back to sleep, when I woke up I found the cat tree/tower I have on the ground and him crying in pain. not sure what exactly happened.

and regarding the recovery, well the month is only for the rest thing, vet said he might take a year or so, cuz the fracture is in a sensitive place, somehow in the joint.

and thanks :blush:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor kitten. My Ruby has sometimes jumped up into her 2 level cat condo and it's fallen over, so I know that can happen. Are you able to secure the tree/tower to the wall so it can't fall over again.

Your cat is still a baby. And keeping him confined, I'm sure, will be frustrating for him, and you, but sounds like the best chance of him having a good recovery.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor kitten. My Ruby has sometimes jumped up into her 2 level cat condo and it's fallen over, so I know that can happen. Are you able to secure the tree/tower to the wall so it can't fall over again.

Your cat is still a baby. And keeping him confined, I'm sure, will be frustrating for him, and you, but sounds like the best chance of him having a good recovery.
yes I can do that.
the other one the energy ball is even younger, he's 3 months and both of them will be frustrated and depressed if I keep them away from me (not in the same room with me and the other kitty)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had a cat break his femur and another the tibia. From my experience you need to follow the vets guidance to the letter if your cat is going to heal properly. That means crate rest for the entire month. No free time no matter what. To do otherwise risks damaging the leg futher or causing permanent damage to your cat.

I understand the worry about crying or getting loud. I had the same worries. It was completely unfounded. Something about the cat being in a crate made my other two leave him alone and he was mostly quiet. There were moments but if I sat next to the crate and read to him he usually calmed down.

Good luck and please do what you vet told you. It's only a month to make sure your cat heals properly.

Edit: It sounds like the cat tree fell on him, you may want to look at options to stabalize it so it doesn't happen again.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there is an important info I forgot to share,
The incident was a week ago, I took him to a vet immediately but that vet has no x-ray, and told me it is no fracture, for a while I was reassured, but I'd seen him struggling and crying all the time, so I suspected that the vet's diagnosis may be wrong, till today I took him to a vet hospital where they did the x-ray and found it was really fractured.
during the last week, the small kitten was playing with Tiger most of the time but I always stopped it immediately cuz Tiger was crying once the kitten touches him [back then when I didn't know it is fractured]
now he is better, I mean he is chasing the younger kitten and playing, I mean still limping and not rely on the broken leg but relatively better, unlike the first 4 days of the injury.

do u think it's too late for any procedures to be taken?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

here is the x-ray of the injured joint.
compare the normal one below with the circled one

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat was gone for four days and came home with the broken leg. The vet was unable to do surgery for another five days. It's not too late to start either treatment or enforce crate rest. You may have gotten lucky that the injury wasn't made worse during that time. All it will take is a bad jump, misstep or twist to make the break worse, nick a vein or misalign it to the point it will never be straight. Crate rest needs to start immediately and be maintained for the entire month. No exceptions.

Edit, looking at the x-ray and with minor skeletal/muscular schooling, I see why crate rest is the best option. Please do not take chances. There is serious risk that continued motion will make that worse. My cat rebroke his previously broken leg because I allowed him out early. He walked on it like there was no problem.It was my fault that my cat rebroke his leg and had to redo crate rest for even longer. Don't put that guilt on your concious. Follow your vets guidelines and deal with whatever yowling or meowing that happens. One month is a small price to pay to not prolong or worsen your cats condition.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was gone for four days and came home with the broken leg. The vet was unable to do surgery for another five days. It's not too late to start either treatment or enforce crate rest. You may have gotten lucky that the injury wasn't made worse during that time. All it will take is a bad jump, misstep or twist to make the break worse, nick a vein or misalign it to the point it will never be straight. Crate rest needs to start immediately and be maintained for the entire month. No exceptions.
ok tell me how exactly did u do it.
I mean the crate is so small that cannot take litter nor food or water. so I have to let him out for the meals and the litter box, right?
I do care about those little details sorry

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We used a dog kennel/crate with a small litter pan, food dish, water dish and just enough room to turn around.

Check Craigslist, OfferUp or any local swap meet for a cheap kennel. I see them at yard sales in my area for $20 a lot. Or you can buy one online.

The other option is if you shower/bathtub has solid doors you can set something up in there temporarily.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if you are in the US? I have a crate similar to what Kieka Kieka posted above. I used it for my girls when they were kittens and could get under the doors in my old house. It was sold as a dog crate. Before that we had an emergency situation with one of our old cats and we were able to borrow a special crate from an organization in our area. Maybe something like that exists near you? The vet hospital might have ideas for you or even offer rentals.

I hope your kitty will make a full recovery. It does sound like crate rest is really necessary. It might be one of those things where it's not fun; but once it's over and you can put it behind you it won't seem so bad. Please keep us updated on how it's going too. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where are you located?

That is a bad break!

I would think a vet might put a pin in the hip joint to aid the healing. Did the vet who took the x-ray not suggest that?

Did the vet give you any medications for your cat, such as pain pills or anti-inflammatory pills?

If the vet hospital did not do any of the above, why not?

Please read about broken hip joints and treatment:

Broken Bones in Cats

Hip Dislocation and Post-Op Care in Cats

Can a friend or family member keep your younger cat for a month while the injured cat heals?

Also, you will need to find a way to secure the cat tree to the wall so that in the future it cannot fall over. Otherwise, you will need to stop using it.

samyoz samyoz

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went and got an appropriate crate, 1mtx0.5mt.
and put the litter box in there,
but Tiger is really really upset about it, he literally did not stop meowing since I put him in there, sounds like I'm not going to sleep tonight.
please any advice is welcome now, from the crate set and forward.
anything that would make the recovery process less stressful for me and him.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where are you located?

That is a bad break!

I would think a vet might put a pin in the hip joint to aid the healing. Did the vet who took the x-ray not suggest that?

Did the vet give you any medications for your cat, such as pain pills or anti-inflammatory pills?

If the vet hospital did not do any of the above, why not?

Please read about broken hip joints and treatment:

Broken Bones in Cats

Hip Dislocation and Post-Op Care in Cats

Can a friend or family member keep your younger cat for a month while the injured cat heals?

Also, you will need to find a way to secure the cat tree to the wall so that in the future it cannot fall over. Otherwise, you will need to stop using it.

samyoz samyoz
I'm not in the US.
the vet who took the x-ray said the only way for the fracture to mend is naturally, and by resting the elimination of activities will help the natural healing process.
gave him an anti-inflammatory dose
and no pills no painkillers were suggested. I do not know why
no I don't think someone can take the younger kitten
I have already secured the tree

the recipe I follow for making their food already contains calcium, vitamin B complex and E, and I give them multivitamin on a regular basis,
what else should I do or give them?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, my god, he started trying to escape the crate like crazy, he bites and scratches the bars.
he's so stressful, hopefully that won't last for long time

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is going to injure himself more in the crate.

Can you take him to another vet?

Read the links. Breaks like this that are not set with pins may heal badly and leave him with little movement in the hip joint.

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
there aren't many vets in my region. and in my country, all vets with limited potential and tools, the vet who diagnosed him first said that this kinda fracture can't be treated but naturally heals.
I'll read the articles first thing in the morning, it's been a long day

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He should calm down once he realizes he won't be getting out. You might want to call the vet and see if you can get a painkiller as that will help some with the hyperactive (at least in some cats). My guy paced for a day or two before settling but all cats are different. Your guy may do better with you talking to him or in a room alone, try both for a few hours and see which settles him more.