My cat gave birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Linda garcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat Luna escaped one day when I opened the back door, she didn’t come back till a few hours later then a month past and I was noticing she was gaining weight not a lot but I could tell the difference. I didn’t think anything about it because she eats her dry food and then she eats the dogs food also so I just thought that was the reason for weight gain. Then some time after my daughter looks in the dogs house and said there’s a mouse in Bobby’s cage so when we look closer is was a baby kitten we were in shock we never knew our cat Luna was pregnant she didn’t act any different either still woke me up every morning played with me eating the same everything normal. It made me real sad because if I knew she was pregnant I would of watched her closely and helped her when she gave birth. then I started to panic because I only saw one kitten and I was searching all over the house for more and I didn’t find any more kittens. Is been about almost 2 weeks and I’m still searching for more kittens and nothing nowhere.
Is it normal for a cat to have only one kitten?
Oh Let me add that for being a first time mom she’s doing such a great job she’s always with her baby and hugs the baby a lot doesn’t leave her baby’s sight, when she has to she makes sounds like if she’s calling me she meaws really loud and she won’t stop until I come to her and sit next to her baby then she goes to use the bathroom ext she would not walk away from her baby until the babysitter gets there lol she’s the best I love her so much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its not unusual a cat has just one kitten. Here we can be fairly sure it was just one kitten. because you didnt even noticed she was preg.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, and do you plan to spay her once this kitten weans? Do not let her outside to mate again in the meantime.

She sounds like a very loving mama cat! If you keep her baby, the two will be friends for life. My cat used to ask me to babysit also, and 7 years later she and her daughter are best friends!