My Cat Gave Birth To One Kitten Yesterday - URGENT QUESTIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My little lady named Babalon (we call her ChaCha sometimes) just gave birth to a healthy kitten yesterday morning at 9:05. We had expected to see more little ones, but Babalon has not gone into labour again. Babs is 1.5 years old. 

From the MOUNTAIN of reading I've done on the internet, and the numerous vet offices I've called (many of which had no idea what they were talking about, by the way, I knew more than they did) what I am able to bring forth is:

1. If she is eating and drinking (which she is, voraciously) she is in good spirits.

2. If she is settled and properly caring for her kitten (which she is, very competently and lovingly), then she is probably ok.

But her abdomen is still quite hard and lumpy! And I am not able to find anywhere that speaks thoroughly about what a cat's abdomen is like after giving birth, and for how long the uterus remains swollen for.

I have felt her tummy to see if there is any movement and there is not from what I can tell. Also, AFTER the kitten was born her stomach was a lot more large and lumpy than it is now. It just feels hard and her two uterine horns are pronounced but not huge by any means and certainly not as big as it was yesterday.

Also, there is no foul or green discharge, just some blood.

I am REALLY wary about taking her and the kitten out of the house to the vet because I don't want to cause them unnecessary stress.

Is there a chance that there are still kittens present inside of her? 

And also, she has not gone to the bathroom since before the birth (over 37 hours) - she seemed like she wanted to but was distracted by getting back to the crying kitten. Her vagina is quite bloody, could this scab and prevent her from peeing?

Please get back to me, I appreciate some input.

Thank you,

Scarlet 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a questionable situation. Some of her behaviors sound very normal. For example, it's normal for Moms not to use the litterbox for several days after giving birth. However, her stomach should not still feel so hard, and I'm concerned that you are seeing a lot of vaginal bleeding. A little bit of bleeding is normal but a lot is not a good sign. 

Were you present for the birth? Do you know for sure that she delivered the placenta? 

If I were you I would err on the side of caution and get her to a vet. It will be stressful for her and the baby but if she has retained a placenta or even a kitten her life is very much in danger. I think it's better for them to be a little stressed out now but be sure everything is okay. 

It is also possible that she's having an interrupted labor. That is where there is a longer period of time between deliveries. During that time the Mom will act totally normal and is seemingly done giving birth, only to start up again later. However, since it's been over 30 hours I really think she needs to get checked out. If possible have the vet do an ultrasound (as opposed to an X-ray) to see if there are any babies still in there. 

If she does only end up having one kitten you need to watch her closely. One baby is often not enough to keep Mom's attention and she is more likely to lose interest and "abandon" the kitten earlier. Have bottles and KMR on hand just in case this happens. Also, you may want to check with the local shelters and see if they have any abandoned litters. Many Moms are comfortable being surrogates to other kittens. It will hold her interest longer and save some lives! Before committing to this make sure you talk it over with your vet and with the shelter to make sure it's a good idea. 

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with Babs and that she is just settling into Motherhood. Please keep us posted! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I'm just so out of sorts that I left some info out.

Yes I was present at the birth and yes she delivered the placenta and ate it. Also I should have said a little bit of blood, she is not bleeding a lot at all. Just a tad and she licked it away. Also, right after writing this post she went pee - a huge pee.

Lastly, (things really got active right after writing this post it seems!) she got up out of the birthing box 3 times to seemingly investigate the room post-birth (she has been with her kitten every moment until now.)

I took that opportunity to replace the towel in the box. I gently moved the kitten into a smaller bed and she began crying of course which upset Babs. Babs cried and paced and did not know what to do. I placed the baby back in the fresh box and now seemingly all is back to normal. Babalon was so upset though she was panting.

I was able to feel her belly while standing (which again I wasn't able to do since birth) and I pressed up slightly and despite the uterus being a little swollen it had a lot of "give" as though there is nothing really in there.

Do you still think that the overall consensus is that I should get her to the vet?

Thanks again,

Scarlet

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure the placenta/afterbirth, has also come out?

Otherwise, as you say. Many times Forumists are in the same situation as you. One left, or what??

And the answer is alike you yourself gave:  does she seems distress, in trouble, panting or whatever? Contact vet.   Does she seems contend, happy with the situation, calmly busying herself with the kittens, etc?

Observe, but you can wait.

Besides, cats can have several hours, even days, between deliveries. Not the most common with days, but happens.

Her bloody vagina is bothering me a little. Doesnt she clean herself?  Im not sure how to interpret this.

How far is her litter?  Try to have it near, so she can see and hear her kitten from the litter.

You had contacted several vets. With various results.

Part of it is maybe, it is not always the vet who answers random phones. Random phones are often taken by the receptionist.

But otherwise, it is true. Not all vets are good at cats.  And not all are so good at small kittens care.

Anyway. You had contacted several.  Try to phone the best of them and ask.

OR phone one of them who is nearest for real, the one you will rush to if you must rush in, explain it is sharp now, and ask...  Hopefully the vet himself will answer.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and lastly, am I to understand that the uterus is not supposed to still be swollen at this point? It's not very very hard just firm and the swelling is minimal. I thought that some swelling for several days was normal? Thank you :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah that's a hard call to make. It sounds like things are better than I originally thought, but there is just no way for any of us to tell you without being there and seeing her. Really, I would probably still take her in. If nothing else it will put your mind at ease that everything is okay. When it comes to labor and delivery I just don't think you can go wrong with erring on the side of too much caution. I think you need to listen to your initial gut reaction and follow it through by having her looked at. 

It's normal for Babs to get upset whenever you handle or move the baby. The only time I do during the first few weeks is to get a weight. Especially with having just one it's vital that you weigh the kitten at the same time everyday to make sure they are properly gaining (on average 10-15 grams a day). Only handle the kitten directly in front of Babs and be as quick as you can. 

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I will take her in. Are there any special things I should do to make the trip to the vet more safe/comfortable? It's winter here and I'd take a cab (don't drive) so maybe a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket?

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to clarify though, so the uterus isn't supposed to be swollen after 40 hours? It's really not *that* swollen. And it is not too hard, it has give to it. I'd just really like to know about if possible because she is very happy, has a great appetite, just peed and is calm. I want to err on the side of caution as well but I don't want to jump the gun unnecessarily either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin with phoning your chosen vet, and ask!  The vet will know what follow up questions to give.

And as it is "sharp question" now, for real, it will be the vet answering himself, not his receptionist.

Yes, much in there IS swollen afterwards, that is surely why so many of our forumists thinks something is left, although most often - it wasnt.

It is for the last piece of often, you must safeguard and contact the vet... As there is some unclear moments.

Better safe than sorry.

Your idea of a warm bottle is good.   :)

Have a leash on Bab, or at least, something to hold her with [collar]...  I hope you have a good sized carrier, or a small cage.  Having them in just a box??... As said, have her in a leash.

Good luck!

ps.  Part of this hard stomach was probably her not peeing yet, and thus, the urine bladder overfull.

But lets not guess, let the vet guess.  Phone if they are good at answering telephone questions, or drive in directly.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ps.  Part of this hard stomach was probably her not peeing yet, and thus, the urine bladder overfull.

But lets not guess, let the vet guess.  Phone if they are good at answering telephone questions, or drive in directly.
I agree with Stefan that phoning the vet and asking them directly is a great idea. Also, that her belly may have just felt hard because of the full bladder. But, as he says, it's better to let the vet determine that than for us to say she is fine and have something go horribly wrong. 

Make sure you have a carrier for her and the baby. If you don't have a plastic or soft sided one you can buy cardboard ones at most pet shops. I do think you need her securely enclosed though, especially with the baby. I would put the same blanket in that you have in her nest right now so it smells familiar and cover the outside with a blanket or towel so it's nice and dark inside. The hot water bottle is a good idea too just make sure she can move away from it if she gets too warm. 

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes her belly is much smaller and less firm now that she peed. My "momma intuition" is saying there are no others, just the one little darling.

I have a cage which can fit a bed, so I will go with that plus the hot water bottles and towels. But first I will call a bunch of vets again in my area and get an actual veterinarian on the phone, I won't take no for an answer! :)

thank you both so much for your advise and expertise, this is way better than searching the net for random answers to these questions! I will write next after I've spoken to the vet.

Goodnight for now,
Scarlet

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a home-visit vet, perhaps that might be a solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check how much a home visit will cost vs a vbet visit plus taxi!  But the advice to ring first is what you need to do.  Also find out when the vet is willing to spay her.

Also with just one kitten she could come back into call and get pregnant again very soon - as little as 2-3 weeks - so don't let her out. 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oops that posted too many times. There is a home-visit vet, perhaps that might be a solution?
Yes, it should be, if the rates isnt too horrendous, and the vet is decently skilled on new mommas.

Question is also, if say ultra sound is called for, does he have it?

Often home-visit vets what they do, is to give the last injection as a big part of their tasks.

But still, he should surely give a better advice after say, look-and-palpation on place, then our telephone vet.

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed! 

So it turns out that there were no other kittens. Just him. He is 5 days old now. Everything seems fine except Babalon is anxious sometimes. She is VERY chatty, to the point that it seems at times she is trying to convey concerns, but she is not acting strangely. Still eating and drinking like a fiend and peeing/pooping.

She also really, really wants out into the rest of the loft but we don't let her because of the other cats. We don't want to disturb the fine balance. She seems to be soothed when we gently coax her back into the box with the little one and she lays down. 

Is this behaviour normal? It seems like she has just gotten her energy back and wants to use it but feels a bit confined and perhaps restless. She always returns to the baby but sometimes it takes a bit of coaxing from myself or my partner.

Here he was at 4 days :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not uncommon for Queens to want to leave the nest and have a break from the demands of motherhood. The problem with singleton kittens is they oftentimes aren't enough to hold Mom's attention and to keep bringing her back. You need to keep a close eye on them and be certain she is still nursing and eliminating him. The best way to tell of course is with the daily weigh in.

If you haven't yet I would take some time to read through some these links: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/249018/...regnant-cats-kitten-care-articles-and-threads . They may give you some answers to her behavior and how to hand rear if you need to. Be sure sure you have a bottle and some Kitten Milk Replacer on hand just in case. It does sound like she's getting the urge to wander and you need to be prepared in case she decides to give up her baby completely. 

scarletkiphoebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Well the thing is that she's only anxious really in the very early morning hours-just before lunchtime. And even then she is still attentive to the baby, checking on him, cleaning him, eliminating him, and feeding from what I can tell (I've been sleeping about a foot away from the birth box.) But it's this constant mewing, trilling, and sometimes anxious digging that is strange, especially because she doesn't do it at any other time of the day or night.

For now it doesn't seem to be a case of losing interest at all, just anxiety or over-concern...

It's perplexing!

petlover76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mamma cat vampiss had 1 male kitten in her first litter and just today she had just 1 kitten again this time behind our washer..I moved them....so far she wants out to ROM around....she was very attentive to the first kitten in her first litter....

Status
Not open for further replies.