My cat gave birth to one kitten 7 hours ago and now nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her first baby at around 2:25pm today and now after 9pm there hasn't been anything else. She is sleeping. Her breathing is a tad bit rapid but nothing that I haven't seen before. She is 1 year 1 month old and this is her first and will be her only litter. This litter was an oopsy due to a stray that we were feeding indoors. I know there are more babies in her. I can feel them moving. Any advice on this? I am more worried than she is. She is not up moving around but is eating and drinking if it is given to her. She is letting her baby nurse well.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dont know if this is considered an emergency but for sure tomorrow if no more come out by then. I know sometimes if they're having problems, the vet will dose them with something to help with labor. Im sure other people on here can tell if its an emergency right now or if just to wait overnight

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have two options. You can monitor her closely to make sure she's okay and wait until tomorrow to see if she passes anymore kittens overnight, which is entirely possible. Or you can take her to an afterhours/emergency vet and let them determine what might be causing the hold-up, such as a baby blocking her birth canal. Its not unusual for cats to take up to 16 hours or more to deliver though, so given that she is still eating and drinking I wouldn't panic yet. If there are no more kittens by mid morning tomorrow I would contact a vet and have a chat.

If she shows signs of distress or seems very weak then I would take her in immediately. Monitor her gum colour, it might be a bit pale during labour but should still be pinkish. Any sudden bleeds or vomiting I would rush her in immediately as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will definitely be calling our regular vet in the morning if she has not had anymore tonight. She just ate a nice helping of tuna mixed with some raspberries and drank some water. The only thing that seems different about her is that she is breathing a little more rapid than normal. Other than that she is spry and looks good. I am attaching a picture for reference. She chose the smallest box around. I really wish she would have decided to go into labor in the nice big comfy spot we made for her.

She so far also has not left this box. I think she is afraid to leave the baby. I am worried about her not using the bathroom though.

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just ate a nice helping of tuna mixed with some raspberries and drank some water.
It's great that she is eating, but be careful. Cats are obligate carnivores and as such don't require fruits or veggies. While raspberries aren't toxic in small amounts, they aren't all that good for them either. Tuna should only ever be fed if it is encased in water not brine, the high salt content can dehydrate her. Tuna itself isn't great for cats due to mercury levels, but a little to entice her while she is in labor shouldn't hurt too much. I've got a link here on the raspberries if you like for some more info:
Can Cats Eat Raspberries?

If her breathing is a little rapid that is okay, she is going through some intense stuff. As long as she isn't struggling to breathe she should be okay. Don't worry about her using the bathroom, she knows what she's doing and will attend to her needs when she is ready. Just be careful to watch she doesn't squish any kittens in that box - I wouldn't try to move her yet as that can upset her, especially if its the spot she chose.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had read to mix a little raspberries into some tuna to possibly help induce labor. That is my goal with that meal. I am just trying it to see if it will help induce things. Our nearest emergency vet is 2 hours away. I don't know how to check if the baby is getting enough milk. I just weighed it and it weighs 2.9oz.

Unfortunately that is the spot she chose. :( The first baby was out within 15 minutes of contractions but I haven't seen any contractions since then. She just keeps going to sleep and then waking up to tend to her baby. Her and the baby have both been clean and dry for hours but there are definitely more in there.

This is nerve racking. I can promise this is the first and only time this happens with one of mine. I have only taken in a stray before that had babies before she came into the house. They were all raised and fixed. I could beat myself up for missing getting her spayed. So much has been going on and I lost track of time. I just don't want to lose her. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had read to mix a little raspberries into some tuna to possibly help induce labor. That is my goal with that meal. I am just trying it to see if it will help induce things. Our nearest emergency vet is 2 hours away. I don't know how to check if the baby is getting enough milk. I just weighed it and it weighs 2.9oz.

Unfortunately that is the spot she chose. :( The first baby was out within 15 minutes of contractions but I haven't seen any contractions since then. She just keeps going to sleep and then waking up to tend to her baby. Her and the baby have both been clean and dry for hours but there are definitely more in there.

This is nerve racking. I can promise this is the first and only time this happens with one of mine. I have only taken in a stray before that had babies before she came into the house. They were all raised and fixed. I could beat myself up for missing getting her spayed. So much has been going on and I lost track of time. I just don't want to lose her. :(
Interesting tip, this with raspberries and tuna for inducing labor. I must look this up. My tip is give something calcium rich,
because too little calcium may cause weak labor.

When you weigh kittens, its easier to weigh in grammes. With the rule of thumb increase 10+ grammes a day is good.

The weigh of 2,9oz sounds OK. it corresponds to 82 grammes. On the low side, but OK.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens seem to be nursing fine and mama is doing well. We think she is done but her belly is still contracting. She is jumping around like normal and eating and drinking but if she sits on your lap she is still having contractions. Do they have contractions after giving birth until things settle down? Could she have a placenta left? I didn't call her vet since she delivered more this morning and was doing great. I don't know what to think now. Maybe there is another one to come?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you count placentas as they came out? It’s possible she may still have a kitten to deliver, but there are after-pain contractions which can last intermittently for a couple of days. I’m hoping that’s what this is, but if she seems in distress or is pushing with no outcome then you’ll need a vet pronto.

Keep us posted!

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We left her alone to deliver since she seemed to do better with the quiet area so I unfortunately did not get to see the placentas. I feel a lump in her belly but my husband insists this is her nipples and milk. She doesn't seem in distress but I don't like the contractions. We have checked her out thoroughly down there and do not see anything hanging out. Of course these things always happen when the vet is closed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s likely after pains. Time will tell if the contractions slow. If she’s done delivering they should stop other than the intermittent after-pain ones. A cat’s uterus is often lumpy after giving birth until it shrinks back down over the next week to ten days to two weeks. People often mistake this after-birthing lumpiness for another kitten. It’s generally not anything.

However, if you continue to have concerns, please call your vet tomorrow for a checkup. Bring the kittens in the carrier with her as they need to be with mom.

Otherwise, give her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink. She needs the extra calcium for nursing, and the extra calcium generally calms cats down.

Do keep us posted.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! We are definitely watching her. I hope it is just another kitten coming or placenta and nothing life threatening. When I touch her belly or press gently on it to see if feel anything else is when she has the hardest contractions. My poor girl has been through such a long journey. I just want this process to be over for her. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Don’t press on her anymore, and do give her formula. The calcium helps with labor also. Cans of powdered PetAg are at Walmart for about $10. Get a can and mix it with water and give her some to drink.

When you say contractions, are they big, hard ripples, and does she seem in pain with them? Have you seen her trying to push but with nothing happening? If this is the case, she may need a vet. If something - kitten or placenta - is stuck, she may need vet help.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It appears her stomach is doing the hard wave movement but she doesn't appear to be pushing to me. It is like her stomach is having a spasm when I touch her and they are hard spasms that make her whole body lift up. She don't appear to be in pain. She is expressing no vocals at all. She is snuggling with her 3 kittens and if I pet her stomach it will contract up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, leave her be. It sounds like she is done. Get the kitten formula though. It will help her. If she is STILL doing this in the morning - without you touching her - you’ll need to see the vet.

I say stop touching her because it is clearly stimulating her. She is sore and does not need touching. Don’t know if you’ve had a human baby yet, but I was SORE and having after-pains for a couple days after having my daughter and the last thing I wanted was someone touching or pressing on my belly.

Also, nursing several kittens is HARD work, so her body is in overdrive. This again is where kitten formula comes in. Many new cat moms breathe heavily after birthing and as soon as they get kitten formula to drink their systems calm down. I gave it to my cat to drink daily for a full 8 weeks after giving birth. They really need the calcium.

lilbit1123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will run out to the store and get her some kitten formula. Unfortunately this is my first time experiencing any kind of birth. I can't have children and all my animals have always been fixed. If so many drastic family things had not have happened in the past 8 months she would be fixed too. Time got away with me and we end up feeding the stray cats in our area and unfortunately one got her when we walked away. We let one particular one come inside to eat and to keep warm or out of the rain. We are going to get him fixed too because she does love him. She likes playing with him so we are going to take him in and get both of them fixed so that this doesn't happen again. My nerves are torn up from all this. Thank you for all your help and I will be sure to update the thread as I go so that people searching can see it later on and hopefully help someone else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.