My cat food was discontinued

webdj777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat was extremely picky with what she eats. My vet and I arrived at a beef flavored one, and my cat liked the Wholehearted beef dry food.

Unfortunately, when I went to Petco today, I discovered it's discontinued, and completely unavailable online or in stores.

Normally, I'd transition slowly to another food, but since I'm totally out, I have to transition TODAY.

I'm giving her some of the same variety in wet form for the moment, but she doesn't want it.

Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Didn't PetCo recommend any replacement/similar dry foods? You could compare the ingredients in the one you have been feeding your cat to their other recommendations to see if one of them comes close. Since it is a PetCo brand, couldn't your store check across the country to see if any of their locations have any left?

You could also call your vet and ask for their ideas as well. Maybe lamb, venison, or veal, or another game animal would work for her? I take it the standard chicken/poultry foods will not?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just curious if you checked with PetCo - both about an alternative food, and if they could reach to other PetCo's nationwide to find a bag or two that might still remain. Also, don't hesitate to ask the vet for his suggestions of a replacement food - they may know of the discontinuation and have identified some alternatives.

Let us know what you find out!

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try giving the cat like 3 different bowls with 3 different foods. See which one they like. I'd be pretty shocked if they chose to eat nothing over a 24 hour period when presented with 3 different foods. Then give them the one they eat most of. They might not eat any right away but overnight they probably will choose one. Remember when you first got your cat maybe they were too nervous to eat. But overnight when they are solo they feel more comfortable and eat something.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise