My cat Fires Creek has become aggressive towards other cats

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found Fire 3 miles into a Bear Preserve on a mountain top road. There was a guy breeding Servals in our town and he would dump the ones he couldn't sell in the wilderness. Fire is a 6 yr old neuterd male who up until I moved in with my boyfriend had never been aggressive with other cats in the house. So he started targeting an old neuterd Bangle male that is declawed and weak. It has escalated to bites that required a vet visit. I don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
So, my apologies if you did, but assuming you didn't do any method of introducing the two feline groups, try these things, all of them;

Keep the older boy separated somewhere til this gets straightened out. Give him his things food water and litter, and he'll be fine, he may even appreciate the time away from the hassle. Stress like this is hard on a cat, so cat music might be good to help calm him.

See about getting plugin calming products.

And, take a look through these;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above advice, but also want to reinforce what is in the articles above - since Fires Creek is in a new home, he first needs to be acclimated to the home, starting with his own 'safe' space, before any introduction with the other cat(s). The resident cat(s) get 'free reign, so to speak, at the onset of this whole process.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't say, but how long did you live together before Fire started being aggressive? I admit I was thinking it hasn't been very long. ... ?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. They need to be completely separated. The younger Savannah is going to seriously hurt the. Bengal. The Bengal should keep most of his usual space. The Savannah shouldn’t have access to him at all ever. Slow introductions won’t work in this case. The Savannah thinks he just found the best chew toy ever, the Bengal.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found Fire 3 miles into a Bear Preserve on a mountain top road. There was a guy breeding Servals in our town and he would dump the ones he couldn't sell in the wilderness. Fire is a 6 yr old neuterd male who up until I moved in with my boyfriend had never been aggressive with other cats in the house. So he started targeting an old neuterd Bangle male that is declawed and weak. It has escalated to bites that required a vet visit. I don't know what to do.
Also, please ensure if you haven't already that Fire has had a vet visit to rule out illness. Some cats act out during illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
So, my apologies if you did, but assuming you didn't do any method of introducing the two feline groups, try these things, all of them;

Keep the older boy separated somewhere til this gets straightened out. Give him his things food water and litter, and he'll be fine, he may even appreciate the time away from the hassle. Stress like this is hard on a cat, so cat music might be good to help calm him.

See about getting plugin calming products.

And, take a look through these;
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
He never needed to be slowly introduced before. Fire has always been social with other cats dogs and he loves people. He has become possessive of my boy friend and territorial of the yard. ( wild cat clan in the woods next property over) . We isolated the 2 cats and I'm taking him to the vet asap. I'm also going to try the calming products. Catnip gets him riled up instead of calming him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a situation now with a young flame point boy who was all sweetness and light when he got here, but has taken a dislike to one cat in particular. I do keep them separated for most of the day with plenty of space for each to feel comfortable. I agree that you need to see how this trends and not consider it necessarily solved. If you leave the house, I would separate them for the time being.

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is good! But just be very super vigilant in watching them when together. The previous bites that led to vet visits are not necessarily done, especially if all you are relying on are calming collars. Keep us posted.
I am making him an appointment with the vet tomorrow after a consultation to make sure he isn't sick and to discuss the difference between a pride cut and regular neuter. He had a pride cut. We are still keeping the cats isolated from each other unless we are watching them.

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You don't say, but how long did you live together before Fire started being aggressive? I admit I was thinking it hasn't been very long. ... ?
About 8 months but we rescued Sugar about 6 weeks ago and Ben just sat her down in front of him and that's when it escalated.

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 8 months but we rescued Sugar about 6 weeks ago and Ben just sat her down in front of him and that's when it escalated.
Fire is very intelligent, cunning and most of all a smart alleck . He might be being nice because he does not like being put in the bathroom when he gets into mischief. He doesn't think like regular cats and he understands alot more especially with Ben.

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a situation now with a young flame point boy who was all sweetness and light when he got here, but has taken a dislike to one cat in particular. I do keep them separated for most of the day with plenty of space for each to feel comfortable. I agree that you need to see how this trends and not consider it necessarily solved. If you leave the house, I would separate them for the time being.
We keep Tiger the Bangle in the bedroom that we sleep in with the door closed. He doesn't have any contact with Fire. If Fire gets the chance he goes straight for Tiger. Fire is behaving with the rescued cat Sugar ( 1yr old had her about 6 weeks now) with supervision only. He attacked her on day 1 but he goes to jail ( the bathroom with his blanket and toys food etcetera) if he threatens her. Anytime we leave or sleep Fire goes to his space, door closed and the other cats have free reign. Tiger has gained half a pound this week keeping them apart and the vet says he is healing nicely. My new vet is researching Savanah cats and we have an appointment next week. I will keep you posted. Thank you for all your ideas.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Savannah cats are extremely active. They need extensive play and climb areas. They are "wilder" acting than Bengals. Some of this depends on if they are an F1. 2.3.4.5.6.or 7. But they are not easy cats at any percentage. They are really best living with large outside fenced in (think zoo) areas to create chaos. A young adult is just a big dangerous kitten. They mature slower than other cats. I have worked with many Savannahs, Savannahs breeders, and a few Servals. When i have seen them living peacefully, as peacefully as you can with a Savannah, they are always with a cat that was a litter mate.

This is my experience with them. They also go for about $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 where I live.

They are super active cats with extremely high play drives and tend to cause damage when they get bored, and they get bored allot.

FYI, I absolutely love Savannahs.

Teresa McLaren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fire has a fenced in back yard where he watches the birds possum and racoons from a little post he does get bored very easily. He had littler mates there were 3 kittens in the wilderness but one couldn't survive the first week on kitten food that's when I began to realize that they were special ( along with the spots and chirping instead of meowing) I knew the man that was backyard breeding the Savanah in a trailer on his property ( scary guy) and had seen one of the kittens before ( tried to kill a small dog even as a kitten) but my kittens didn't look as full blooded. Lighter colored spots medium hair but they where found in the wild and hers was purchased directly from the backyard breeder. He kitten was aggressive from the getgo and mine were very loving. I couldn't hold hers only she could .

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good. I am glad you have a safe set up for him and understand how much work the breed is. The guy breeding and dumping needs to stop.