My cat fell of my balcony ( 6 storeys)

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys, im new around here. I have a turkish angora who is around 4 months old. I woke up today when she fell from my balcony. Luckily she is still alive and was bleeding from her mouth. I took her to the vet and he examined her, he said there's no broken bones, she was moving but how scared she was made me even more scared, she was breathing heavily i asked him if theres blood in her lungs he said its normal and theyll go away in a while. Shes sleeping because she is under medication, she got a stitch on her upper lip and a broken tooth that will go away and grow later on. I saw a hole on her upper jaw that is long, the vet said its normal all cats have this. I cant trust vets im sorry thats why im asking you guys here, she was moving a bit at first, do you think i should be concerned about her breathing or not ? Thank you

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest finding a different vet, especially if you are still concerned. A second opinion will make you and kitty feel better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Draco Draco i did, same thing. But i just got home and i keep watching her, shes too tired everytime she tries to sleep she turns her head like a yes or no sign several times then stops, should i be concerned about this?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
6 stories is a really big fall. I'd take her for a second opinion.Cats are so good at hiding pain. She's so little too. 
  I hope she' s OK. 

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 it breaks my heart everytime i look at her :( I hope she's going to be better soon, i'm never used to seeing her like this

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else, it sounds like a second opinion is needed.  Did they take x-rays?  examine her head/neck? Do an ultrasound to see if there were any internal injuries?  I'd recommend a second opinion for sure!   Keep us posted.  Sending up a prayer for your little one.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
If her head is shaking like that. She could have some brain damage. Is there a feline only vet near you?

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if signs of traumatic brain injury are somewhat similar in cats an humans. But, I would be on the lookout for any clear fluid that accompanies the blood in her mouth. If the anatomy is at all similar this clear fluid would be cerebrospinal fluid, and this indicates a skull fracture. This indicated to be watched for due to the damage to her poor face. That goes for her nose and ears as well. Did the vet do a CT scan? An X-ray only shows bone breaks and such, but even without a break, a brain bleed is very possible. It is important to watch her pupils: be sure they are equal (not one eye blown and one eye pinpoint) of normal shape, and reactive to light. These are signs are indicators of swelling in the brain, and are considered an emergency (it is in humans so I can only assume in cats) Watch for seizures. This another indicator of traumatic brain injury. I apologize I can only be sure of these signs in humans, but I do imagine mammals are similar enough for this basic trauma assessment. If she does start to go downhill, it will be very fast so you must be vigilant. How are you doing? Do you have anyone to help you look after her? Or take turns watching her? Anyone with vet experience that refutes anything I have said, please do. Sometimes I wish I wasn't only a people healer.

Last edited:

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Draco  @Angels mommy  @ellieandwinnie  I can't express how happy I am I finally found people who love and care about cats this much. She's doing better thankfully, still toooo tired and mellow though, her eyes are doing well and when I call her she replies, my parents are at home so they can take care of her. She's getting up a bit and goes to drink or sleep somewhere else in the house. My neighbor has a cat of the same breed which is a Turkish Angora too, he is a couple months old he fell off the balcony too 10 days ago but it was a two floors fall and on some plastic stuff so he recovered better. She brought him up an hour earlier today but he got too scared and my cat didn't accept him easily, I know these are usual signs but at least she moved and expressed her usual emotions in front of other cats which is good I guess. I am still taking her to the vet for antibiotics and vitamins, I took her twice yesterday and once today and will keep doing so until he removes the stitch from her mouth. However I noticed a hole in her upper jaw and both vets told me it's very usual because it's for breathing purposes. I did some researches and turns out that it's called a Cleft Palate, I read that it is something abnormal though, I was scared because it was filled with blood at first after the fall. Has anyone of you guys witnessed something similar in their cat's mouth ? I never saw the inside of her upper jaw before. 
Thank you everyone.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize for echoing the advice of others, but I would stilll take her for  a second opinion; especially if there were no x-rays taken...

That is a huge fall for such a tiny kitty...

sorry if I sound so blunt....but I am thinking of the poor baby..

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Draco
 @Angels mommy
 @ellieandwinnie
 I can't express how happy I am I finally found people who love and care about cats this much. She's doing better thankfully, still toooo tired and mellow though, her eyes are doing well and when I call her she replies, my parents are at home so they can take care of her. She's getting up a bit and goes to drink or sleep somewhere else in the house. My neighbor has a cat of the same breed which is a Turkish Angora too, he is a couple months old he fell off the balcony too 10 days ago but it was a two floors fall and on some plastic stuff so he recovered better. She brought him up an hour earlier today but he got too scared and my cat didn't accept him easily, I know these are usual signs but at least she moved and expressed her usual emotions in front of other cats which is good I guess. I am still taking her to the vet for antibiotics and vitamins, I took her twice yesterday and once today and will keep doing so until he removes the stitch from her mouth. However I noticed a hole in her upper jaw and both vets told me it's very usual because it's for breathing purposes. I did some researches and turns out that it's called a Cleft Palate, I read that it is something abnormal though, I was scared because it was filled with blood at first after the fall. Has anyone of you guys witnessed something similar in their cat's mouth ? I never saw the inside of her upper jaw before. 

Thank you everyone.
I wish I could tell you what the insides of my kitties mouth look like but they never keep them open long enough for me. Are you sure it's a cleft palate? Where exactly in her jaw is it? Are you sure it's not just the end of her soft palate and where the Pharynx (sorry for using these words I don't know lay terms for it) begins? Can you take a picture of it? Please don't bother your recovering kitty just to get the shot though. Awake and responsive, and oriented to visitors is a good sign. Please do not be lulled into a false sense of security though. And please don't take anything I've said over the two vets you've seen

Last edited:

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ellieandwinnie ellieandwinnie i saw it when she was sleeping under medication after her fall, it is located in her upper jaw in the middle, doesnt stretch to both ends though.

djokeey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ellieandwinnie ellieandwinnie exactly, i couldnt know if its just on the surface or a deep hole, i am taking her again to the vet today. She barely replies and is still too sad :-( is it normal for them ?

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not knowledgeable on kitty cleft palates, but it sounds like a secondary cleft palate. IF that is what it is, you have one lucky kitty that she is now 4 months old. Definitely find a vet that will confirm and talk with you about treatment options

Last edited: