My Cat Drank Low-Splash Bleach Water

Sara J.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was soaking some kitchen rags with low-splash bleach that were still stained after washing.
My young kitty jumped up on the counter when my back was turned and drank a few sips. I've found several articles about bleach poisoning but none whatsoever about low-splash bleach which contains very little actual bleach from what I've read but am concerned about some of the other thickening agents or other chemicals. Unfortunately the label itself is unreadable as had been out in the sun for cleaning the exterior of the house. So far, he's not drooling and has not vomited. I gave him water mixed with tuna drippings and a bowl of milk. He's only drank about 1/3 of each bowl then wanted a nap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
20200325_115104.jpg
20200325_115353.jpg
20200325_130058.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Low splash bleach still has most of the ingredients that regular bleach has and I don't know if the amount is enough to hurt a cat or not. I would definitely go further with the poison hotline and find out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's the phone number for the FREE pet poison control hot line:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

Bleach of any kind is harmful to pets. Please get your cat veterinary attention ASAP! Give the phone number above a call. Most likely they will tell you to call or go to your vet or the nearest vet ER. With the Covid19 issue, many vets have specific procedures for seeing pets. Call ahead and ask before you head over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sara J.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did call my vet. Most of them aren't seeing any animals in my area due to the outbreak. Honestly he seems absolutely fine and they basically told me not to worry unless he exhibits symptoms. 🤦‍♀️ I am trying to be okay with that.