My cat doesn't want to go home

18mitsume

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We initially had two cats. Then adopted one mother and her baby cat. The mother cat was pregnant and then gave birth to 4 kitties. They used to just stay downstairs but now that they're becoming more playful, the run around and goes to the second floor. Now our two first cats, one is maybe 3 years old and the other is about 1 and a half year old. The younger one used to be playful but now she just seems grumpy. Most of the time she stays in the empty house beside us now (we live in row houses). She'd leave through the window and just come back for food, sometimes she'd stay for a while but leaves when other cats come around. She's usually alone next door. I got her home tonight and decided to just close the window. I hate to have her staying out as of she was a stray cat and unwelcome in our home. But she seems agitated most of the time and wants to leave. I'm not sure if she's fearful of the 2 month old kittens or what, but I want her home. What I don't get is that other older cat has gotten used to the kittens since we did try to introduce them from the first month. I don't know how she'll get used to the kittens. Do I just let her out if she wants to go? Will she be able to cope up that way or will she totally leave us that way?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not an advocate for letting cats outdoors - too many issues can arise, up to and including death. So, just to let you know, my comments are based on that belief. It would be better to work on doing more introduction type steps and try to get her to the point of at least tolerating the kittens as opposed to taking the chance that her being able to go outside to get away from them means she ends up spending more and more time away from your home - which is very possible.

She is also maturing a bit which means some of the loss of playfulness might have just as much to do with that aspect as it does with being bothered by the kittens. I would give her space inside your home to get away from the kittens, so that she doesn't feel like she has to escape your house to accomplish the same thing. Perhaps, you can create a 'sanctuary' for her in one of your rooms and restrict access for the kittens - someplace she can go instead of outside.

Maybe you can find some tips from these TCS articles? I included one about kittens and an older cat - not because your girl is older, but because some of the things that irritate an older cat about kittens may apply to her anyway.
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This seems to be a common problem with indoor/outdoor cats. They never get used to the kittens if they are allowed to chose how much time they spend inside. Getting used to them takes time in proximity. A couple minutes here or there adds up to nothing -- meaningful time chunks are required.

I have not seen any solution to recommend other than keeping the cat indoors during an introduction/acclimatization period.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also kittens are annoying!!! The 3 kittens (now three years old) ganged up on the passive senior cat at my mom’s house. They are pushy jerks towards him!

So I second sanctuary time but I would vote the kittens only get run of the house for half the day, the same hours every day. When you go to work, maybe lock the little adorable terrors in one room?

Also catifying your house with more cat shelves can help. &/or adopt the kittens out, spay mom & let your house settle down again.