My Cat doesn't like anyone other than me and my girlfriend

lucymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lucy is almost 5 years old and is part tabby, part Maine coon and I just don't understand why she doesn't like anyone else. So many of my friends and family members want to pet her because she is so pretty but when someone tries to she hisses and will even try to scratch them. I really hate that she is like this and I have been asked why she is like this and I just don't know why. Can anyone give me any advice or facts on this?? Please

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucy is almost 5 years old and is part tabby, part Maine coon and I just don't understand why she doesn't like anyone else. So many of my friends and family members want to pet her because she is so pretty but when someone tries to she hisses and will even try to scratch them. I really hate that she is like this and I have been asked why she is like this and I just don't know why. Can anyone give me any advice or facts on this?? Please
My 4 year old ragdoll is also very selective on who he likes and only will tolerate myself, my sister, sometimes my mother and one of my friends. He usually hides when we have company. I have just learned to accept this as one of his many personality quirks. But if your cat actually comes out to see guests do not force interactions instead maybe have them play with her favourite toy or give her a treat, but make them keep their distance and let all interactions be on her terms. When I leave my cat alone he will sometimes come out for a visit when I have company but I never let them hold him and I will give him treats, sometimes he will let one person pat him. Cats can sometimes be very strange and there isn't always an explanation for their behaviour. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much I will try those few things that you mentioned guess I never really thought about any of this until recently, since some friends of mine really want to get to know her.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LucyMama-

The book "Think Like a Cat" by Pam Johnson-Bennett has a great section on how to help cats warm up to visitors in your house. It mainly involves respecting the cat's desire to not be interacted with, extending a finger the cat can choose to sniff or not, having visitors feed the cat, and playing with an interactive toy when visitors are around (kitty may just watch at first, but that's okay). I'd highly, highly recommend getting it from the library and reading the relevant sections. :) :) :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thanks I will definitely look into that book. It sounds very interesting. :)