My cat doesn’t eat- transition to new food

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

10 days ago my is diagnosed with early HCM and our vet advised me to change her food (She was eating Acana but since it has very high protein vet recommended to start Virbac). Almost for 10 days I am trying to make the transition slowly but still she is not eating enough. I am still mixing it with the old one.

The new food’s shape is very different than the old one (bigger, almost double size) She looked like she couldn’t chew. I tried to put her fav wet food on top of it but it didn’t work either. Other than that she is active, normally pooping peeing no vomitting etc

Do you have any suggestions, i am very concerned because she is almost underweight, and with newly diagnosed heart condition. Can you share your experiences?

Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try different foods that would be good for her, do a little research on the internet. My cat was diagnosed with HCM when he was 9 and lived a happy life on Lasix and a normal diet until 16. You might research some supplements sold on sites like Amazon and PetMeds and start giving those. My cats have done very well after leukemia diagnoses on DMG and Life Gold. I wouldn't worry too much about a diet, just make sure he doesn't get a lot of sodium. The important thing is to keep him eating. Call your vet and see what they suggest.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

10 days ago my is diagnosed with early HCM and our vet advised me to change her food (She was eating Acana but since it has very high protein vet recommended to start Virbac). Almost for 10 days I am trying to make the transition slowly but still she is not eating enough. I am still mixing it with the old one.

The new food’s shape is very different than the old one (bigger, almost double size) She looked like she couldn’t chew. I tried to put her fav wet food on top of it but it didn’t work either. Other than that she is active, normally pooping peeing no vomitting etc

Do you have any suggestions, i am very concerned because she is almost underweight, and with newly diagnosed heart condition. Can you share your experiences?

Thanks!
I no nothing of the food but can you use a pill cutter? Wet instead of dry,one reason cats can gain weight. Some are OK with it some not. If she is senior try to transition her to wet. Sooner the better before health issues could arise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is just 1 year old, I tried to cut the food but nothing worked ☹ Tomorrow im gonna take her to vet today she ate very little amount

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Virbac makes dental products for animals mainly. Are you sure that's the product name? (I couldn't find ANY foods under that brand name) As far as I am aware, diet isn't usually changed for HCM except for try to buy foods that aren't too high in sodium, which our Vet said means if Salt is listed in the ingredients, don't buy it.

Is she on any medications? That's how it's normally treated. In the meantime, until you can get back with the Vet, I would feed her anything she will eat, because eating is the most important thing right now, over anything. Not eating can cause other health issues, which you definitely don't need :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am attaching the photo of the package. Yes she is on etenolol and diuretic (lasix). Yesterday I gave her 100% her old food: Acana and she started to eat. I assume all this was because the new food ☹

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well I'll be darned! I don't think this is available in the U.S. (but could be wrong). Now that I looked it up using a different search method, I see it also comes in a poultry flavor, which he might like better, but i also couldn't see any reason WHY it's necessary to feed this simply because of HCM. Maybe he just wanted you to use this because it's high protein, low carb? More so than the Acana? I would talk to the Vet and let them know about the SIZE of the Virbac being a problem and ask if it's really necessary.