My cat does not go into his litter box anymore 😩

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everybody!
This will be a long thread 😅 (I will try to summarize as much as I can) and I really hope to find a solution.

1. Around September 2020, my husband and I were looking for a house so, we were out a lot for the search and visits. Also, we were having lots of conversations due to this. I think my kittie felt our stress at this moment and started to poop in front of the litter box (he was still going in to pee though). We tried to work on it and played with him more and the behaviour did not change completely but he was going in the litter box one time in two, I would say.
(He is an inside cat and does not go outdoors)

2. When we moved out around October, the start was smooth and he was doing all his necessities inside the litter box. The litter box was placed in the living room where he had eyes on us if we were in the couch watching TV, for example. The living area is quite big and the litter box was in a corner so, it was not really bothering to have it there.

3. Around end of November - start of December, he started doing it again - pee in the litter box and poop around it 🙄
In December, we had some renovations going on in the house (incl. the living room) and we had to move the litter box into our bedroom. However there, he went to pee and poop inside, no problem. Of course, after the renovations, we had to put back the litter box to its "original spot" - the corner in the living room - and, the unusual routine started again 😩

Around this period, I got the news that I was pregnant - Yay! More stress for my little furr-baby 😔

4. Around February, we moved the litter box (I know, again) into the corridor close to the living room as it was not possible for me to stay around his litter (toxoplasmosis issues) + we had pretty old wooden planks in the living room and the poop + cleaning was making it worse.
Litter box in the corridor -> did not go so well. He went to pee once into and the next times, pooping and peeing around it. It was "better for us" there as there are tiles and it was easier to clean up 🤷‍♀️ but I am sure not for him...

5. My thoughts were: "OK, so the spot is not OK for him." So, we moved the litter box into a room that he really liked playing in and watching the birds and cars from the window but this did not change anything. He was still pooping in the corridor and peeing around the litter box in the room 😩

6. Last week, we went to see a vet - hoping he had some health issues so that it could be easily "fixed" - but the vet just told me that it was a behavioural problem and nothing more. Since a few days, I installed calming diffusers for the kittie in the house and the litter box is still in the corridor.

I would love to have your insight, guys 🙏, I just have no patience anymore 😩 And, I am just too much in this to find any other solutions or see other things that might help.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! This sounds bad.
Although this has never been my problem, I think I have experienced enough with people giving up cats for the very reasons and under the same circumstances as you are describing, to be able to comment.

I'm not trying to criticise, just putting the situation from a cat's perspective.

An indoor cat is sharing your house and your life intimately. (No getting away outside to experience anything else)
A cat knows when things are bothering you. He knows when you are anxious.
Then you move and everything seems fine until......
(Now this is something my vet told me) he knows you are expecting before you do. He may not know that a baby is on the way, but you smell differently.
You start to get excited, the litterbox is moved regularly, what is he expected to think?
The cat gets anxious and shows his anxiety very clearly. Being clean, using a litterbox is the normal reaction of a healthy, happy cat. But, he is no longer happy. He ist anxious and doesn't know what to expect next.
When the baby comes, he may no longer be allowed in the nursery (where he used to play) and his bad habits get worse.

Sometimes we forget, how sensitive our cats are. They feel secure when they know they belong - but as soon as they notice that they are second or third class citizens, they become mentally disturbed.

If you think you can relax, stop moving the litterbox, and don't limit the cat's access to certain rooms where he was previously allowed, you may be able to solve this problem before the baby comes. If not, the baby will only add to his stress.

I know this doesn't make happy reading - but I've seen things like this happen too often for comfort.

☹ Sorry for my bad news. I just hope that the vet does find something physically wrong, and which is easier for you to deal with!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask what tests the vet did?
I was hoping he would do some tests related to his urine or something but nothing as such.
He just looked at his ears, mouth, held him a bit around his bladder and belly and that's it 🙄
You think he should have done more? To see if there is any infection or something?

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh dear! This sounds bad.
Although this has never been my problem, I think I have experienced enough with people giving up cats for the very reasons and under the same circumstances as you are describing, to be able to comment.

I'm not trying to criticise, just putting the situation from a cat's perspective.
The last thing I want is to give him away... I love him too much for that 😓 Nor am I thinking of doing it!
I am willing to clean up everyday after his things but I am starting to get tired of it.

If you think you can relax, stop moving the litterbox, and don't limit the cat's access to certain rooms where he was previously allowed, you may be able to solve this problem before the baby comes. If not, the baby will only add to his stress.

I know this doesn't make happy reading - but I've seen things like this happen too often for comfort.

☹ Sorry for my bad news. I just hope that the vet does find something physically wrong, and which is easier for you to deal with!
I did not limit him to any rooms. He still comes to our bedroom as before and cuddles with my husband and me.
He gets more cuddles and kisses since I knew that he was stressed; even more treats and play time.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment x

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First off, any places that he has peed or pooped outside the litter box needs to be thoroughly cleaned with enzymatic cleaners - if he can smell his scent outside of the litter box, that is like an invitation to go in those places again and again. Secondly, have you tried placing two litter boxes close together, or side by side, in case he has decided he doesn't want to pee and poop in the same box? Thirdly, have you tried both a covered and uncovered box to see if that makes any difference? You can also place puppy pee pads around the boxes to help with clean up, and reduce left-over scents, as you work through trying to resolve his issues.

I am not sure where to propose you place these litter boxes, but if at all possible I would either place them in the location he last used the best, or place at least one in each of the locations you have tried and see if he ends up choosing one or more of them over the others. At least that way, you have an idea as to what locations are more in alignment with his preferences.

As far as testing, it wouldn't hurt to have a urinalysis/urine culture done just to be sure there is no UTI/crystals/inflammation going on - although, since poop was his initial problem before the inappropriate peeing came along, it would seem less likely to be the issue. But, it couldn't hurt.

I am including links to several TCS articles so you can read them and see if there any possible solutions you would like to try. Sorry for so many, and while there may be some overlap, there are different points/ideas addressed in each.
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles
Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered! – TheCatSite Articles

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping he would do some tests related to his urine or something but nothing as such.
OH MY! Yes, yes, yes he needed testing...
Cats are notorious for developing urinary issues, and no it's not always "behavioral" (it's actually quite the contrary)...although CAN develop behavioral avoidance issues if the health problem does not get fixed.
I'm SO surprised that not even an analysis was done....I think you may need a new vet.
OK rant over... :biggrin:

So, as mentioned, he needs to have a urinalyses, this will check for crystals/stones, the PH, as well as if there is any presence of blood, protein and a few other things that can point you in the right direction of what's going on. A urine culture should also be done to check for infection. An analysis can see the presence of possible infection, but the culture will be more specific and also tell you what bacteria is the culprit so the proper antibiotic is used....especially if it turns out it's a more "stubborn" infection.

The thing with litter avoidance...if the health issue is not resolved...no amount of behavioral techniques will help.

Our kitty did the exact same thing as your boy...it started with pooping out of the box and eventually (we thought) "spraying"...so we thought "behavior". Turns out he had crystals, and although he did not ever block, it was painful for him to poop as it put pressure on the urethra/bladder....So first he would avoid the box for pooping...then the "spraying" was actually just his posture and straining he did to pee in an attempt to lessen the pain and irritation of the crystals.
There could also be some cystitis going on...usually brought on by stress. Which does fit due to the big changes that has happened. With cystitis, the bladder and urethra become inflamed and irritated, eventually leading to the shedding of cells within. It can also restrict the flow of urine. And as such...can cause crystals to form and of course bacteria to fester...
And again...the pressure of pooping could be causing him discomfort due to it pressing on the inflamed and irritated bladder/urethra, which is why he avoids using the box to poop.
Cats will sometimes avoid the litter box if they feel pain or discomfort while doing their business....they associate the pain with being in the box and then don't want to use it anymore...

In the mean time, until you get back to a vet...

Try to increase his water intake and feed him wet/canned food.
You can also work on trying to lower his possible stress levels by introducing a routine for him....feeding times, play times...etc, just be consistent...cats like routines and the familiar.
Be sure you provide him with some quiet areas he can escape to if he wishes and try to "catify" your home with things like cat trees or other "high up" places for him to hang out on.

And I'm not suggesting you have done this...but cats do not respond well to "punishment" (squirt bottles, "mean" yelling/screaming, hitting...dominant aggressive behavior) it only makes them more insecure and fearful which will further complicate the issue. And I say "mean" yelling because it's one thing to say a firm "NO", if they do something they shouldn't, but yelling/screaming and rushing them to scare them to stop is not helpful.

I'll stop here since FeebysOwner FeebysOwner posted several links for you to read thru which might just repeat anything I would say, but please start (again:rolleyes3:.....I'm so mad at that vet:mad:) with going back to a vet for proper diagnosis...

Last edited:

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. First off, any places that he has peed or pooped outside the litter box needs to be thoroughly cleaned with enzymatic cleaners - if he can smell his scent outside of the litter box, that is like an invitation to go in those places again and again. Secondly, have you tried placing two litter boxes close together, or side by side, in case he has decided he doesn't want to pee and poop in the same box? Thirdly, have you tried both a covered and uncovered box to see if that makes any difference? You can also place puppy pee pads around the boxes to help with clean up, and reduce left-over scents, as you work through trying to resolve his issues.

I am not sure where to propose you place these litter boxes, but if at all possible I would either place them in the location he last used the best, or place at least one in each of the locations you have tried and see if he ends up choosing one or more of them over the others. At least that way, you have an idea as to what locations are more in alignment with his preferences.
Hiii :wave2:
1. Yes, for the enzymatic cleaners! I saw it earlier also in one of the main subjects here on the site - I will do that for sure!
2. I was thinking of another litter box but the main question, of course, was where to put it. I will try like you said, the previous location.
Thank you for the puppy pee pads - I did not know of those.

Thank you!

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OH MY! Yes, yes, yes he needed testing...
Cats are notorious for developing urinary issues, and no it's not always "behavioral" (it's actually quite the contrary)...although CAN develop behavioral avoidance issues if the health problem does not get fixed.
I'm SO surprised that not even an analysis was done....I think you may need a new vet.
OK rant over... :biggrin:
🤦‍♀️ God... I'll look for another vet... I really hope it's nothing bad.

Be sure you provide him with some quiet areas he can escape to if he wishes and try to "catify" your home with things like cat trees or other "high up" places for him to hang out on.
I have to say, before in our apartment (which is so much more smaller than the house that we moved in now), he used to sit on top of the staircase which was in the middle of the flat and had an eye on everything that was going on - that was the only living space.
Now, the house has several floors but we put a spot for him in every living area so, that he still has that "eye" on us, if you know what I mean, whenever he follows us.

And I'm not suggesting you have done this...but cats do not respond well to "punishment" (squirt bottles, "mean" yelling/screaming, hitting...dominant aggressive behavior) it only makes them more insecure and fearful which will further complicate the issue. And I say "mean" yelling because it's one thing to say a firm "NO", if they do something they shouldn't, but yelling/screaming and rushing them to scare them to stop is not helpful.
Honestly, at the start, we scolded him (no yelling but just asking him angrily, why he did that, you know - never hitting, never) because we thought he was being nasty but when I quickly realised that it was not completely "his fault", my husband and I stopped. We just cleaned up without saying anything.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, the house has several floors but we put a spot for him in every living area so, that he still has that "eye" on us, if you know what I mean, whenever he follows us.
If you feel like several big bulky cat trees is not a great option...especially when baby furniture tends to take over the home ;) ...you can put some nice "wide-ish" shelving that he can access from the back of the couch or one cat tree, in a multi level pattern for him to rome around on. You could also cover the tops of the shelves with a small piece of carpet for some traction too.
1615152558294.png
1615152573311.png
1615152587640.png
1615152624815.png

1615152717113.png

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy used to poop outside of his litter box (actually the little rat would run up from the basement to poop on my bed) when it wasn't clean enough. I clean it once a day but if there was a poop in it he would ......................ummm let me know. He was ok with going pee a few times in the box but THERE SHALL BE NO POOP when I have to go poop again. I bought another litter box because I could not always be on guard for poop clean up duties. This stopped the issue. Now your guy might have other reasons as mentioned above. So I agree will the posts above get 1 or 2 more litter boxes, get the litter with attractant, clean the places he used with an enzyme cleaner. The last resort option would be to put him on anti stress meds. He knows you are pregnant and you smell different to him, I am certain that is causing him some concern. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and help him work though this.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat really needs two litter boxes. Cats ALWAYS have a reason for avoiding the box, you just have to figure it out. I think he wants one box to pee in and one box to poop. He has had a lot of stress in his life lately and so have you. You didn't change litter types or boxes? I would try two boxes and see how it goes.

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ALL for your time to read my frustrations 😅 and give me some tips, I really appreciate it and feel more confident that it will go better. I started already to do some things and have to pick up his second litter box and see how that goes.
I will keep in touch and let you know when it FINALLY stopped and what worked.
Thank you again 🤗

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm completely shocked that your vet failed to do a urinalysis or any bloodwork. That's completely inexcusable. I would absolutely find another vet. I wouldn't trust your existing vet.

cjobrian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I had this issue with one of my cats for almost two years! We finally solved the issue by using those Feliway plug-ins. I also use the Feliway spray. Apparently, his issue was related to a passive-aggressive turn war with our oldest cat. The key to having Feliway diffusers work for us was to plug them into outlets in the room(s) where the cat's hung out most of the time. I hope you find a solution soon. It's very stressful to constantly be cleaning up kitty poop. Fingers crossed!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ALL for your time to read my frustrations 😅 and give me some tips, I really appreciate it and feel more confident that it will go better. I started already to do some things and have to pick up his second litter box and see how that goes.
I will keep in touch and let you know when it FINALLY stopped and what worked.
Thank you again 🤗
Hello Z Zeeha and family, and welcome to TCS! Here are my suggestions:
1. Different vet right away.
2. Yes, more than one litterbox, in quiet, low-traffic area. Cats tend to prefer privacy as people do, when in the bathroom.
3. I scoop 5 times daily. This is not a problem for me. Cats are very fastidious. Like people, they do not like to use a dirty toilet.
4. Feliway, definitely. I use the spray.
5. Always buy the highest quality wet cat foods you can. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic. There are many varieties. I feed 1/2 of a 5.5. oz. tin, 3 times daily, to each of my two cats. They love variety, so I buy many formulas. We get our cat supplies auto-delivered from Petco.com. Not sure your location, but you may want to check out something like this.
6. Cats in their natural ancestral habitat (desert) prefer sandy substrate. I have used soPhresh scoopable litter for years and it is very good. Cats' senses are much more acute than ours, and they do not like perfumes. SoPhresh is unscented. I get the 30# tubs, which are very convenient and recyclable.
BEST of luck to you and your cat! Please do let us know how he is doing.

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I had this issue with one of my cats for almost two years! We finally solved the issue by using those Feliway plug-ins. I also use the Feliway spray. Apparently, his issue was related to a passive-aggressive turn war with our oldest cat. The key to having Feliway diffusers work for us was to plug them into outlets in the room(s) where the cat's hung out most of the time. I hope you find a solution soon. It's very stressful to constantly be cleaning up kitty poop. Fingers crossed!
Hi :wave2:
Yes, I bought 3 to put in the different big rooms that we have 😅 as one covers, I think, only 70m² something like that... It's been a week now...
Did you like really clean up all the time for 2 years? 🤯 When did it stop and how?

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Z Zeeha and family, and welcome to TCS! Here are my suggestions:
1. Different vet right away.
2. Yes, more than one litterbox, in quiet, low-traffic area. Cats tend to prefer privacy as people do, when in the bathroom.
3. I scoop 5 times daily. This is not a problem for me. Cats are very fastidious. Like people, they do not like to use a dirty toilet.
4. Feliway, definitely. I use the spray.
5. Always buy the highest quality wet cat foods you can. I feed Blue Buffalo and Soulistic. There are many varieties. I feed 1/2 of a 5.5. oz. tin, 3 times daily, to each of my two cats. They love variety, so I buy many formulas. We get our cat supplies auto-delivered from Petco.com. Not sure your location, but you may want to check out something like this.
6. Cats in their natural ancestral habitat (desert) prefer sandy substrate. I have used soPhresh scoopable litter for years and it is very good. Cats' senses are much more acute than ours, and they do not like perfumes. SoPhresh is unscented. I get the 30# tubs, which are very convenient and recyclable.
BEST of luck to you and your cat! Please do let us know how he is doing.
Hiii tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 :wave2:
I have not been to another vet yet 😿 With this COVID crisis, it is super hard to get an appointment.
For the other litterbox, I am going to pick one on Saturday. I will see how that goes 🤞
For the food and litter, a bit same as you, he likes varieties and eats fine - no stress there, fortunately. And sandy one too for the litter, it's been the only one we used since he was a "baby"

Thank you! I am feeling a bit more hopeful and hope that the little things I am doing now (from your advices here) will help <3
I will keep in touch for sure!

cjobrian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi :wave2:
Yes, I bought 3 to put in the different big rooms that we have 😅 as one covers, I think, only 70m² something like that... It's been a week now...
Did you like really clean up all the time for 2 years? 🤯 When did it stop and how?
Yes! Two years of cleaning up poop multiple times a day. It started several months after our oldest cat passed away. The remaining two cats always got along great, so we were completely clueless as to why Jojo started pooping outside the box. He only did it when we were at home. (We take them to our place in the mountains and the place at the beach, and he always pooped in the box when staying in these houses.)
I switched to unscented litter. And did everything I could to encourage him to use the box—treats and praise after he used the box, etc.
I had tried Feliway at first, but I plugged it in near the litter box. That didn’t help at all. After almost two years, I have the Feliway another try and plugged multiple diffusers in the rooms where the cats spent most of their time. Two days later, he started going in the box again. About 4 weeks later, he went outside the box. I checked and the diffuser in the bedroom where he stays most of the time had run out. I replaced the diffuser and like magic...he returned to using the litter box.