My cat does not go into his litter box anymore 😩

CathyWithaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. New person here. Two cats, Cooper and Tucker. Both adopted two years ago, and now age 15. Cooper started pooping outside the litter box five months ago. We took him to the vet, who diagnosed colorectal cancer. He had successful surgery to remove a mass in his colon in January, so has now been home for two months (on Palladin 3 times a week). He seems happy and healthy, but he is STILL pooping outside the box (peeing inside the box). It was every third day at first, so the vet told us to give him Miralax. Now he poops every second day, or rather night, but never in the same place. The last two times it's been on our bed. We can handle it, but would obviously prefer it if he went back to his normal ways. Some of the suggestions in this post are helpful, and we'll try them. But I do wonder if anyone else has had a cat go through the surgery and wonder if he'll perhaps be okay once he's fully healed?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. New person here. Two cats, Cooper and Tucker. Both adopted two years ago, and now age 15. Cooper started pooping outside the litter box five months ago. We took him to the vet, who diagnosed colorectal cancer. He had successful surgery to remove a mass in his colon in January, so has now been home for two months (on Palladin 3 times a week). He seems happy and healthy, but he is STILL pooping outside the box (peeing inside the box). It was every third day at first, so the vet told us to give him Miralax. Now he poops every second day, or rather night, but never in the same place. The last two times it's been on our bed. We can handle it, but would obviously prefer it if he went back to his normal ways. Some of the suggestions in this post are helpful, and we'll try them. But I do wonder if anyone else has had a cat go through the surgery and wonder if he'll perhaps be okay once he's fully healed?
Hello Cooper, Tucker, and CathyWithaC CathyWithaC and welcome to TCS! Fortunately, we do not have experience of this, but I just wanted to welcome you all and give you much encouragement and gratitude. I've used Nature's Miracle -- Just for Cats enzymatic cleaner for years -- used as directed, it is very effective for cleanup and since it's enzymatic, it takes care of the problem at the source. That's especially reassuring for bed "accidents". *PRAYERS* from the heart for sweet Cooper. Hoping others can give good information and suggestions.

CathyWithaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cooper, Tucker, and CathyWithaC CathyWithaC and welcome to TCS! Fortunately, we do not have experience of this, but I just wanted to welcome you all and give you much encouragement and gratitude. I've used Nature's Miracle -- Just for Cats enzymatic cleaner for years -- used as directed, it is very effective for cleanup and since it's enzymatic, it takes care of the problem at the source. That's especially reassuring for bed "accidents". *PRAYERS* from the heart for sweet Cooper. Hoping others can give good information and suggestions.
Thank you for your response and welcome, tarasgirl06! We'll be trying all the recommendations in this thread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! :wave2:
I am back to give you some updates; no, I am not jumping in the air yet but I have more information about my baby furr's condition.

Second opinion from another vet
So, I indeed went to a second vet to consult and she confirmed that Ptit Chou had no health issues and that he is just very stressed and anxious. Being a cat who is super emotionally attached to my husband and myself ("cat-dog"), he needs to be constantly comforted, played with, cuddled and kissed like a baby :sigh: I guess not all cats are independent, ay...

What she advised:
- the "Relax" dry cat food (she was quite confident with this one)
- making his litter box an "open" one (I had a closed one with the door flap removed) so, now I completely removed the upper part of the box. He went into it to pee once yesterday! But it was just once 😿

She was also a bit worried about the fact that he is been doing that for months and it might have become a habit and there is the risk to "re-train" him again. I am not so sure about this point though, honestly...

The enzyme cleaner
It did not work! Okay, I tried only one brand but still... 🤷‍♀️ After cleaning up, he went to the same spot to pee and poop as if there was nothing. I might try another brand to see how it goes... Any suggestions? (highly possible that I won't get the same thing in Europe though)

Adding a second litter box
It just gave Ptit Chou the possibility to do his things in another spot but of course, AROUND the box and not IN it.

Ah yes, the puppy pee pads
Sometimes, he pees on it (which makes it soooo much easier to clean up) and sometimes underneath it, don't ask me how :lol:
But never poops on it, this intrigues me though.

For lowering his stress levels
- I bought the dry food that the vet advised
- I also bought some kind of paste that it supposed to also calm him down (however, I saw that Taurine was present in the ingredients 🤔 Can anybody tell me if that is bad for him? I have my doubts...)
- Feliway diffusers in ALL the rooms that he usually goes to (they do not cover much m² in my opinion)

I think I covered almost everything... And, I'm mostly sad as I have no idea of his stress level and what to do - more or not - rather than him doing his things outside the litter box :sigh:
Anyway, I'll surely keep in touch if anything changes/improves and a big THANK YOU to all of you with your tips and tricks :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all! :wave2:
I am back to give you some updates; no, I am not jumping in the air yet but I have more information about my baby furr's condition.

So, I indeed went to a second vet to consult and she confirmed that Ptit Chou had no health issues and that he is just very stressed and anxious. Being a cat who is super emotionally attached to my husband and myself ("cat-dog"), he needs to be constantly comforted, played with, cuddled and kissed like a baby :sigh: I guess not all cats are independent, ay...

What she advised:
- the "Relax" dry cat food (she was quite confident with this one)
- making his litter box an "open" one (I had a closed one with the door flap removed) so, now I completely removed the upper part of the box. He went into it to pee once yesterday! But it was just once 😿

She was also a bit worried about the fact that he is been doing that for months and it might have become a habit and there is the risk to "re-train" him again. I am not so sure about this point though, honestly...

The enzyme cleaner
It did not work! Okay, I tried only one brand but still... 🤷‍♀️ After cleaning up, he went to the same spot to pee and poop as if there was nothing. I might try another brand to see how it goes... Any suggestions? (highly possible that I won't get the same thing in Europe though)

Adding a second litter box
It just gave Ptit Chou the possibility to do his things in another spot but of course, AROUND the box and not IN it.

Ah yes, the puppy pee pads
Sometimes, he pees on it (which makes it soooo much easier to clean up) and sometimes underneath it, don't ask me how :lol:
But never poops on it, this intrigues me though.

For lowering his stress levels
- I bought the dry food that the vet advised
- I also bought some kind of paste that it supposed to also calm him down (however, I saw that Taurine was present in the ingredients 🤔 Can anybody tell me if that is bad for him? I have my doubts...)
- Feliway diffusers in ALL the rooms that he usually goes to (they do not cover much m² in my opinion)

I think I covered almost everything... And, I'm mostly sad as I have no idea of his stress level and what to do - more or not - rather than him doing his things outside the litter box :sigh:
Anyway, I'll surely keep in touch if anything changes/improves and a big THANK YOU to all of you with your tips and tricks :heartshape:
Taurine is essential for cats' health; it keeps their hearts and eyes healthy, and cats often do not live without it. All good cat foods contain taurine. Cats are obligate carnivores. This is why they cannot be vegetarians.
We have used NATURE'S MIRACLE-JUST FOR CATS for years with very good results. Be aware, though, that while the spot has just been treated, before the product dries, it will still smell of urine. And you may have to apply it more than once for very stubborn spots. Enzymatic cleaners work by destroying the molecules so they are very effective.
Most cats do not like enclosed litter boxes. And cats in their natural habitat prefer sandy substrate for their elimination. We have always used clumping clay litter. Cats also do not like perfumed litter, as their sense of smell is far more sensitive than ours. I buy SoPhresh which contains an odor counteracting ingredient. It is very good litter and my cats have always used it well.
You may wish to place something over the spots you have treated, like a piece of foil. This will discourage Ptit Chou from reusing the spot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What she advised: - the "Relax" dry cat food (she was quite confident with this one)
Is there a canned version of this food? The added moisture from canned food is helpful with keeping the bladder flushed out and aiding in avoiding inflammation - which can be a contributor of inappropriate eliminations.
I also bought some kind of paste that it supposed to also calm him down (however, I saw that Taurine was present in the ingredients 🤔 Can anybody tell me if that is bad for him? I have my doubts...)
And, as I just saw posted above, Taurine is added to all cat food, so I think you are OK on this one.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across your thread now and quickly skimmed it, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. Have you tried Cat Attract litter? Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

Welcome to TCS, btw. Sorry though for the situation that's brought you here. Hopefully we can help you find a solution.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around this period, I got the news that I was pregnant - Yay! More stress for my little furr-baby 😔
I have been following this thread - but passively, hoping that some health issue would turn up. But, no - so back to square one.
So, how are you doing, Z Zeeha ? Is everything going according to plan, have the repairs to the house been completed, is the nursery ready for the baby? You have a lot on your mind at the moment and it is hardly surprising that you are excited and perhaps a little nervous. I know that I was hardly prepared for my first baby and it was a happy but very stressful period in my life.
The reaction of the second vet was hardly surprising.
With the help of the wonderful TCS Members. you are doing everything right as far as Ptit Chou is concerned, But don't forget yourself. I'm not the right person to advise you as I have never taken a dose of my own medicine. But take care of yourself, try to relax and the very stressed and anxious Ptit Chou will no doubt start to feel better as well. I know it's not easy and I'm feeling very sorry for you in this situation. I wish you and your husband and Ptit Chou the very best of luck. ♥

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taurine is essential for cats' health; it keeps their hearts and eyes healthy, and cats often do not live without it. All good cat foods contain taurine. Cats are obligate carnivores. This is why they cannot be vegetarians.
We have used NATURE'S MIRACLE-JUST FOR CATS for years with very good results. Be aware, though, that while the spot has just been treated, before the product dries, it will still smell of urine. And you may have to apply it more than once for very stubborn spots. Enzymatic cleaners work by destroying the molecules so they are very effective.
Most cats do not like enclosed litter boxes. And cats in their natural habitat prefer sandy substrate for their elimination. We have always used clumping clay litter. Cats also do not like perfumed litter, as their sense of smell is far more sensitive than ours. I buy SoPhresh which contains an odor counteracting ingredient. It is very good litter and my cats have always used it well.
You may wish to place something over the spots you have treated, like a piece of foil. This will discourage Ptit Chou from reusing the spot.
Thank you!
I saw that I could get the Nature's Miracle here so, I'll try that :D
Yes, my vet asked me to put aluminium foil and vinegar, they repulse the cat.

Zeeha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been following this thread - but passively, hoping that some health issue would turn up. But, no - so back to square one.
So, how are you doing, Z Zeeha ? Is everything going according to plan, have the repairs to the house been completed, is the nursery ready for the baby? You have a lot on your mind at the moment and it is hardly surprising that you are excited and perhaps a little nervous. I know that I was hardly prepared for my first baby and it was a happy but very stressful period in my life.
The reaction of the second vet was hardly surprising.

With the help of the wonderful TCS Members. you are doing everything right as far as Ptit Chou is concerned, But don't forget yourself. I'm not the right person to advise you as I have never taken a dose of my own medicine. But take care of yourself, try to relax and the very stressed and anxious Ptit Chou will no doubt start to feel better as well. I know it's not easy and I'm feeling very sorry for you in this situation. I wish you and your husband and Ptit Chou the very best of luck. ♥
Hii! :wave3:
Indeed, the start of the pregnancy has not been easy for me - you know, sickness, nauseas, the whole package - but now, it is getting much better. Yes, the repairs have finished since December already and it is calmer in the house :) And no, I still do not realise that I am pregnant 😅

Yes, so many times, I feel like Ptit Chou's emotions are very much linked to mine and if I just take it one day at a time and enjoy the little things around, he might just also start relaxing a bit 😅
Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement, that's so nice of you :lovecat:
My best wishes to you and your family. Stay safe and healthy 💓