My Cat died today

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my 8 year old cat in for a dental today and he died under anesthesia. All blood tests were normal before the surgery at a loss. I feel so guilty....he didn't want to go this morning and I had to drag him from under the bed. I wish I just let him be this morning then he'd be alive.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
:hugs: How awful, my heart is breaking for you, I'm so sorry! You were being a good cat guardian, doing the right thing. There is no way you could have known. I know it doesn't ease your loss but I hope you will be kind to yourself. Your kitty knows how much you are hurting and how loved they were! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was the kindest sweetest cat I ever had. I'm looking for answers and Its just breaking my heart that there aren't any. Had cats all my life this is the first one I've lost this way.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so very sorry! :( Do you know if he had a heart murmur or anything like that? This is so one of my worst fears with my babies, and I'm so sorry it happened to you :(

:hugs:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so, so sorry for you loss! I am devastated for you. Truly am stunned...you poor thing. Try not to be too hard on yourself: you were trying to do what you thought best for your baby boy's health.

You had no reason to think or know that this would happen. 

Again, my deepest condolences 

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what happened. I have a cat with a heart murmur he wasn't the one. Everything was normal with him, blood test, he was intubated during the procedure. He was healthy except some unexplained weight gain in the last 3 months. He was admittedly obese. Just heartbroken. Vet looked over him internally and my baby looked fine. I'm going to let him rest in peace because I just don't think there are any answers.... It's going to be hard next time another cat needs a dental. I wish he was still here.

Last edited:

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet baby boy.. There are so many things that are out of our control and it sucks, my heart truly goes out to you.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one be complacent with anesthesia. I have had so many fur baby's have no problem with it I never thought it would happen to me and my baby. Always remember kiss and hug them and let them know they are loved before any anesthetic procedure no matter how routine.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  We all have been told that there is a risk with anesthetic but I guess I just never thought anything ever really happened.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to look for the answer to why? but I guess the saying that God always takes the good ones first, applies to felines too. I never heard one hiss from this cat his entire life he was the biggest sweety.

Last edited:

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss.  Very heart breaking.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was absolutely no way to predict something like this was going to happen, like you said, you have had many cats and nothing like this has ever happened before. But something was wrong, either your cat had an undiscovered health issue that was not diagnosed, or your vet misused the anesthetic. Either way there is no way  to ever change the outcome and you are beating yourself up now over something that can never be changed. And that brings nothing but heartache, believe me I know. The only thing you can hold on to now is that you gave that sweet boy 8 years of love and a wonderful life, that is all he ever wanted and he will rest in peace knowing that.  He would NEVER want you to be so sad when remembering him and what you two had together, somehow you must distract yourself from dwelling on that horrible last day and concentrate on the good he brought into your life. He loves you too much to bring you so much pain, and he loves you too much to ever hold anything against you.

What you did you did out of love, you cared for him and wanted him to be as healthy as possible, you did what you did because you thought it was the right thing to do, but horrible things happen for no reason to good people and we will never know why. My heart cries for what you are going through, it is not fair and it never should have happened.

A broken heart takes a long time to heal, I'll pray for you both and I would like you to  know you are not alone in your anger and your grief. Let it out, it helps to let some of it seep away with the telling.

RIP sweet boy, you were a prince among cats and your gentle life will earn you a place in the heavens where your star will shine bright.  You will always be missed and never forgotten, you will always have a place in a loving heartt that will cradle you forevermore!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right he wouldn't want me to dwell. Not ever knowing the truth does hurt. He had a weight issue and was obese and I know that carries more risk with anesthesia but they did take the precautions. They have been caring for my baby since he was a kitten and know him well. I was there when they were trying to resuscitate him and both the vet and the tech were as upset as me. He was a favorite of theirs and they showed me photos of the staff loving on him prior to the surgery. He was a big boy who never gave them problems whatever they had to do. Those photos showing the their snuggles does calm my guilt regarding the car ride to the vet that he hated so much in the morning.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so sad. I am sorry this happened to Hexie. Sometimes when we are doing everything we can to take good care of our babies, things happen anyway. It sounds like everybody who knew Hexie loved him.
I hope that in time your memories will bring you peace and comfort and you will be able to remember all the good things and good times. I hope you have some people friends who understand your loss and will give you many hugs right now.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for the words. There are kitty owners that won't risk anesthesia on yearly dental cleanings and though I don't agree, I'm still wishing I did bc my baby would still be alive. His teeth were fine still.....

bootse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You LOVED that CAT unconditionally and the best thing you can do in HIS memory is go to a shelter and find a cat who needs a home like yours and a Mommy to give it plenty of UNconditional LOVE. You'll be fine Sweet baby[emoji]128062[/emoji]

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I still have a brood left that I love and love me, we are one less today. It just helps a lot hearing the kind words from people who understand....thank you

neenee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heart breaks for you, I just lost my cat on June 24th, also unexpected, I loved her so much, just like you. I've been telling myself I gave her the best possible life a cat could have, or maybe even a person.... please don't blame yourself I did that and it doesn't solve anything and it diminishes her memory. My cat will always live on .....