My cat died suddenly

Catsmother70

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat died suddenly yesterday. He just dropped dead. I can’t get my head around it.
My daughter who has Autism was very attached to him and he showed his love back to her and the whole family. She hasn’t stopped crying since it happened. He would always cuddle up to her in bed. She keeps saying she has lost her best friend which breaks my heart. He also helped with her mental health massively.

it was horrible watching him die so quick.Can’t face going in my lounge because of where it happened. Miss his meows and purrs.
We’re all heartbroken. He was fine one minute and the next he was gone.

I don’t know how to cope with this sudden loss 😥😥

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can only hope you and your daughter can move on after some time grieving. Cat's tend to not show any weakness when they are sick. It's the predator in them. I had a cat who died like that, called puma paw. Christmas Eve morning he was passed on the couch in his sleeping ball way. I figured a heart attack was the cause. After some time, hopefully you and your daughter can bring another into your life. Doing that helps you to heal. Again my heartfelt sympathies to your family.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so, so sorry! I can never decide which is worse...that sudden death, or a slow decline. Probably both. The loss is the same. But this is the deepest Truth I know...love never dies, it is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses your family, and sends his Love back to walk with all of you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Holding you and your daughter close in my own heart.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers are with you all......I'm so sorry, and so sorry your daughter lost her best friend. In time, I would get her a new friend to distract her from her grief and give her something to occupy that gaping hole in her heart.
It sounds like a heart defect, it kills suddenly and painlessly. Some cats can go for years with no apparent problems and vets usually don't check with no symptoms. i am so sorry......
Your child could benefit from knowing that every living creature that breathes has a soul and that that soul goes on forever. Just like love is spiritual so eternal. Her best friend will forever be as close as her thoughts and prayers. That is your decision, but children are so innocent, so wise in the ways of spirituality.
There is really no comfort at a time like this, over time, when your world has started again, you will find comfort in knowing you gave that sweet boy a wonderful life and he would never want you to be so sad because of his passing. go into the future and live it as you would have wanted him to go on if you were the first to go. He wants no less because that is love. in time your tears will turn to gratitude for what he gave you, a cat's love.......' Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened......RIP dear sweet boy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsmother70

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone

my daughter is still devastated. She hasn’t stopped crying 😢
I did mention about getting another kitty but she says that she can’t go through the pain of losing another pet. It’s a pity really because Milo really helped her. She is also feeling guilty. Feel quite helpless tbh.

Maybe in time she will change her mind. I had never known a bond like she had with Milo, he would always go to her for cuddles and followed her everywhere. She is very depressed atm and had to call the crisis team.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always feel guilty too thinking we are 'replacing' our pet. Not in the least. NOTHING can replace that love, it is in the soul forever. A new pet is a tribute to our departed, they showed us what love can be. Any new love resides beside the other, helping it to grow even stronger.
Maybe you can convince her to just go look at your local shelter. Sometimes just looking leads to love at first sight.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone

my daughter is still devastated. She hasn’t stopped crying 😢
I did mention about getting another kitty but she says that she can’t go through the pain of losing another pet. It’s a pity really because Milo really helped her. She is also feeling guilty. Feel quite helpless tbh.

Maybe in time she will change her mind. I had never known a bond like she had with Milo, he would always go to her for cuddles and followed her everywhere. She is very depressed atm and had to call the crisis team.
Poor sweet baby =( My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I dread the day I lose my Sammy. I love ALL my cats, but I understand that special bond and it sounds like she had it with her Milo.

We have always gotten pets shortly after losing one. It's always hard and they NEVER replace your baby, but I view it as "This is a vacancy in my home that can be used to warm another animal." And I personally think my animals would want their spot to be given to another animal in need. My way of coping isn't everyones way of coping though and I'm sure given enough time to mourn and grieve, she'll soften to the idea of a new animal one day <3

I am so deeply sorry for your loss though. We've lost a cat suddenly before and it is the worst feeling. Sending you and your girl hugs!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your sudden loss and I can't even imagine the shock you're in, that must be devastating.
Milo is sorry too for leaving you and your daughter so suddenly, he couldn't do anything to help it, but I'm sure he is already working to send you a new sweet kitty to help your daughter. When this happens, you will recognize Milo's heart, still there with you for a long long time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsmother70

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone

We’re still in shock and of course grieving. It is like losing a member of our family. The house is very quiet without him 😥 I am crying writing this, just thinking about what I wrote makes us miss him more. Miss his meows and purrs. Miss him cuddling and sitting on our laps.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor sweet baby =( My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I dread the day I lose my Sammy. I love ALL my cats, but I understand that special bond and it sounds like she had it with her Milo.

We have always gotten pets shortly after losing one. It's always hard and they NEVER replace your baby, but I view it as "This is a vacancy in my home that can be used to warm another animal." And I personally think my animals would want their spot to be given to another animal in need. My way of coping isn't everyones way of coping though and I'm sure given enough time to mourn and grieve, she'll soften to the idea of a new animal one day <3

I am so deeply sorry for your loss though. We've lost a cat suddenly before and it is the worst feeling. Sending you and your girl hugs!

this is how I tend to look at it. we're looking at two new kittens right now. we just lost one with slower lead up. we had about a month to come to terms with it before it was reality. but she was quite old. we lost another about 6 months ago. he was also quite old.

the case here does sound like a heart defect. I had a cat who died that way many years ago. nothing more heart breaking than a youngish cat going before their time.

imo getting a pair of cats without your daughters approval for you might be the way to go. there is no way she's not going to love them after meeting them.