My Cat Did Not Return Home, Is It Over ?!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To the OP @alice - we realize you're in a different country where things are more challenging, and many people view things, and cats, differently.

I think that you coming here and asking us for advice means that you care a lot about your cats, and are working to find the best way to do things. :heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:heartshape:I have dealt with lots of people on the site that live in places that don’t have access to many of the supplies we have here. I have also learned that people view cats differently in other places. You obviously went against common beliefs to keep this kitty. I know you may be going against the currents here. I think you are doing a great thing to keep this kitty to the best of your abilities in s place where it might not be popular with others. You typed in tiny letters to indicate your hesitation on certain things. You should be proud of loving this cat. Take the unconditional love and enjoy it. Become even closer to your kitty if that is possible. It is work to care for any living creature but you just treat this as your baby and you’ll be fine. It’s not a vast contagion of germs and it can actually provide calm and healing properties. Studies are being done on that very thing. I understand how we often turn to the love of a cat over a person since they give love so freely. People can misunderstand but a kitty will know trust and love. Kitties do get scared and run or scratch but you can learn kitty language just as well as people language. Maybe easier. Please keep writing in here so we will all learn about new places and what it is like for you and for kitties where you are. We will offer you support, information and a shoulder to lean on if you need it. Any ideas given to you that do not work there would be a good chance for you to tell us how things work there so we will be better prepared to help others in your area when they write in. Microchipping and some other things won’t be practical everywhere. I hope you and kitty have a wonderful day/night wherever you are! :):heartshape:

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this! I can relate as I had a cat that went away for 15 days. He was young and not "fixed". I would let him out overnight and in the morning I would jingle my keys and he would return. Then came the morning when there was no response to the keys jingling. I has my GRE that morning and had to go without knowing where he was. I thought it was "over", too. However, as I said, he returned. It was almost a scene from a movie. I saw him about a block away and we both started running towards each other. He jumped in my arms and he never had a desire to go outside again (I had him fixed, as well). Many others here have given good thoughts and ideas. It isn't over. I pray he returns to you soon!

Has your cat been spayed or neutered? If not, he/she just might be looking for love in all the wrong places.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is *ZERO* chance of a properly inserted microchip causing cancer.
Actually, cats are very inflammatory and some have developed inflammation at injection sites and microchip sites, and, of course, inflammation can lead to cancer. So there is some truth to it. But it's quite rare, much rarer than a cat getting lost and found with the help of their microchip. And the tumors that develop around microchips are generally easy to remove, and unlikely to spread if removed promptly.

In general, if someone lives in a place where the shelters/vets have scanners, I recommend microchipping. But if nobody has a scanner, well, there's no point in microchipping, even if you can find someone to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think people are just giving links so you can see a picture of the product. You don't need to order it from that source :). Just look around local pet stores/local websites and see if you can find something similar.
Unless it's produced inside the country, the price will still have the shipping cost added up to it.
Lol, if you think this is a lot of work and you’re complaining about ‘your’ cat being bored inside then maybe taking care of a cat is not for you.

You complained about them being bored, we explained how dangerous it is outside and suggested what you can do, followed by you being too lazy to try.

You don’t just get a cat, throw them in a corner and play with them whenever YOU want. They should be a part of your family, or don’t complain the next time you let them out, against all of our advice and they go missing.
It's just this one cat. The other one is happy, playful and dislikes going outside. Pretty sure I'm doing fine, although prefer not to waste much unnecessary time with them or anyone with nothing to gain from it. The cat still asks me to leave but I followed your advice and decided not to open the door for him this time, now what? Just live aimlessly a worthless life despite being an adult cat who suppose to serve the ecosystem even if it means shortening his lifespan? The suggested solutions to keep him entertained didn't work. I want to fulfill his wish and let him out, while being able to track & check on him if he's late, but how? I've seen owners use tracking device with harness so that it won't strangle the cat. It's my top-priority plan now, I'll wait for opinions before start doing it, since I didn't order one yet anyway. the idea just popped in my head while typing.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, cats are very inflammatory and some have developed inflammation at injection sites and microchip sites, and, of course, inflammation can lead to cancer.
I'd bet you, dollars to donuts, that any inflammation from giving a cat a microchip comes from the tool used to insert it or from complications during the injection procedure but not from the chip, itself.

The chip is as small as a grain of rice, sealed in a tiny, glass ampoule. It is sterile and biologically inert. However, the tool used to insert it is basically a large-bore hypodermic needle with a plunger inside which pushes the chip into place under the animal's skin.

If the person doing the procedure doesn't do it right... If they push the needle in too far, not far enough, if they put it too close to a bone, if they somehow cause tissue damage...yes...the chipping procedure can cause health problems and, conceivably, cancer or even death.

This is why you should always have your pet microchipped by a reputable veterinarian who has been trained how to do it properly and who has done the procedure many times. You should also ask the vet questions like, "How many times have you done this?" and "How often do you experience complications from the procedure?"

Before we had Casper chipped, I did a lot of reading on the subject and, I asked a lot of questions. I asked the vet questions, too. I am as certain as a person can be that complications from microchips are very rare and, on those rare occasions when they do happen, they come from something that happened during the procedure but not from the chip, itself.

Bottom line: Yes, get your cat chipped but get an experienced, reputable vet to do it and ask questions before you give the go-ahead.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At the moment he can think of little but going out. Be strong and don't let him out. Some cats accept it quickly some can take a few months. He will eventually accept that he is staying in and look or things inside to do. If he hasn't played with toys before he might need you to teach him how to play. Make the toys move like they are alive so he wants to kill them.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It takes some time to get them used to being inside, it's an adjustment. Don't give in to him asking to go out. He may need to learn to play with you and the other cat.

Your other cat is happy inside so you see firsthand that it's possible.
Who cares if he's productive or useless?
He's a small little animal who deserves to live a safe happy life without fear or suffering or torture. That's your job because he chose to love you.
If you want a productive animal, get a horse or a dog and train it to do a productive job that benefits society. Or buy a cow or goat and sell the milk.
Don't let the poor cat suffer. Here we actually have bird shortages from too many stray cats so sick evil people torture and poison and kick and shoot the poor cats who ate just trying to survive.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If people in your country hate cats it's all the more reason to keep your cat inside. Some especially boys will throw rocks at animals they don't like. men will attack them because they can and to impress their women. This is also why you need to be very careful about going outside alone at night. A place where most do not respect animals will have little to no respect for women.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just piggybacking off all the comments here that say to keep your cat inside. I live in a very urban area near a major street, and even here my cat's at risk of getting attacked by ferals or eaten by a coyote. I would never let her out.

She used to basically live outdoors for several years before I adopted her, and only came inside to sleep. Her old owner assured me she was very smart and the neighborhood was "safe" but she'd gotten into catfights and almost got her eye bitten out before. The same owner then left her with someone who kept her outside for two months, and I'm lucky I got her back alive. When we brought her home she was very skinny, had chunks of fur missing all over her body from being bitten by other cats, and had worms. Even then, I feel so lucky that the worst she caught outside was worms.

Like yours, mine's a cat that's smart and gets bored easily and is used to being outdoors. But she's safe, well-fed and loved inside - what's a little boredom compared to catching a disease, getting run over, getting eaten or poisoned outside. We don't even have a particularly big space for her to live in, but she has window perches, automatic toys, places to burrow, and gets interactive play. She is doing very well, even though she literally used to roam the balcony right outside every day before I got her. They really do get used to being inside - her whole routine now is different from when she used to be indoor/outdoor and it's quite predictable. I boarded her for 6 months before I was able to adopt her, and her previous owner insisted she be let outdoors "for exercise," so she constantly had outdoor access. When she knew she was allowed to go out, she was constantly restless and unhappy inside. Now she knows she is not allowed out under any circumstances and that, along with her horrible 2 months fully outside, means she's learned to be okay as a indoor cat.

I observed her for hours when I was trying to trap her outside - they're on high alert 100% of the time, there's no time to relax because and they're always afraid. Everything is a threat. Compare that to a comfortable life inside where there's always food, fresh water, a warm bed and someone to love them.

Last edited: