My Cat Did Not Return Home, Is It Over ?!

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been 13 hours, the weather is so hot now, he only eats cat food, or anything that I eat in front of him. Why hasn't he come back ?!!!! Is this normal?

I can't imagine that my cat would actually die when there are kittens living on their own in the same area! I left a collar on him with my phone number, but I doubt anyone would bother to help.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I don't know where your at, but yesterday was the first 70 degree day here. So yeah, it could be very normal. All cats are different, but when the weather gets nice they tend to say out longer. I have one that does 18 hours once in a while. Also, just because the cat hasn't brought you a mouse doesn't mean it hasn't caught and eaten something now and then. My chubby and kinda slow cat has brought a bird home -- I was like what happened, did it have a heart attack and drop on his head?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats may return home days or weeks later, sometimes because they have been inadvertently shut up in someone’s garage or shed or even taken in by someone. Of course a loose running animal may also have been injured or picked up by animal control. They are busy folks so you can’t assume they would be calling you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have a microchip? Cats are really good at getting out of their collars.

You will have to go to animal control and or the shelter and look at the cats. They almost never have the time to look and see if they have one that matches your description of your cat. Most of the time if you call they'll just say no and he might be sitting in a cage waiting. You will have to keep going by every few days (find out how long they hold strays before adoption/pts) because even if you leave a picture the odds are against whoever answers the phone having time to go look.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live in the boonies and, around here, there are just too many things that will kill and eat a cat so, no outdoors cats for me. Anyway, I have a longhair and he would be an absolute mess if he got out. I hope you find your kitty. You sound like you live in a nicer place. Cats like to explore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
26 hours, hasn't returned .... this is very concerning but I have to get over it and believe that me and my cat made the right decision. I looked everywhere, except the road.

Please tell me what happened when your cats left for days/weeks? is it really normal? What do I do ?!

Yes he's spayed. No, no microchip and no animal shelter in the whole city.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20 hours I'd definitely do a walk around calling name and shaking treat bag for starters. Looking alone isn't enough, cats can hide all sorts of places. So you have to call out, who cares what neighbors think.

Hopefully, its just a "its finally nice out" thing. That is definitely a real thing for cats. But 20 hours for a cat that has never even done 13, I'd definitely go around calling for the cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you gone outside and called for him. Even sit out there for awhile? Take a bag of treats/food and shake it while calling him? Checked with neighbors? Did you read the article that rubysmama rubysmama gave you? Can you put his litter box outside, blankets that he has laid on? Can you put Lost Cat flyers with picture on them around your area?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about leaving out some of his regular food, it might attract him.

I hope you find him. Did he come when called? Walk around slowly outside, calling his name. Walk slowly. Cats can take awhile to make up their mind when outside. They are cautious creatures.

Good luck!

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20 hours I'd definitely do a walk around calling name and shaking treat bag for starters. Looking alone isn't enough, cats can hide all sorts of places. So you have to call out, who cares what neighbors think.

Hopefully, its just a "its finally nice out" thing. That is definitely a real thing for cats. But 20 hours for a cat that has never even done 13, I'd definitely go around calling for the cat.
I did call out, the whole time, for hours! :(
If he's close(mostly under a vehicle) he would at least extend his head, which will result in the collar's bell to produce sound, or maybe follows me in secret if he's lost. Right?..

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
26 hours, hasn't returned .... this is very concerning but I have to get over it and believe that me and my cat made the right decision. I looked everywhere, except the road.
I think your cat would be disappointed in you, if they could see you have wrote this. Unless you were abusive towards him, he would never want to run away. Don’t even think that.

smh
———
I don’t see you responding to the other members suggestions about doing the more important step of putting out his cat litter outside?

It’s important to put out the cat litter box because it has a strong smell that if able, he will pick up from a few kms away as the wind carries it.

There could be numerous reasons he might not be able to return, and him not wanting to return is obviously not one of them...

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your cat would be disappointed in you, if they could see you have wrote this. Unless you were abusive towards him, he would never want to run away. Don’t even think that.

smh
———
I don’t see you responding to the other members suggestions about doing the more important step of putting out his cat litter outside?

It’s important to put out the cat litter box because it has a strong smell that if able, he will pick up from a few kms away as the wind carries it.

There could be numerous reasons he might not be able to return, and him not wanting to return is obviously not one of them...
He didn't escape, I let him out upon his desire; I'm like a mother to him and he's no one's "pet"; his life is so much more valuable to me than anyone else, including my parents and my own life. But if that's his choice, I shouldn't feel guilty or let the infinite sadness prevent me from moving forward after making sure that I did all I could to find him.
He doesn't use a litter box, but I can leave an opened cat food can out if the smell can actually reach him +700 ft. away(is it possible? should I do it?)

Last edited:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
He didn't escape, I let him out upon his desire; I'm like a mother to him and he's no one's "pet".
He doesn't use a litter box, but I can leave an opened cat food can out if the smell can actually reach him +700 ft. away(is it possible? should I do it?)
You should only leave the cat food can out during the day. As during the night it might attract other animals/predators which could end up harming him.

But yes, during the day of course! Anything you can do, try! Never give up unless you have definitive proof.
———
If he isn’t actually your ‘pet’ and you put a collar on him with a bell that a pet would wear.... you’ve taken a huge chunk of his ability to hunt away (which he would need now if he’s lost).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've posted before about wanting to keep him at home. And members here gave you information about that. If you don't make him an indoor cat, he will roam when he wants and for as long as he wants, and he will return home if and when he wants.

He's not a pet, he is your child, and you his mother. But, a mother would not let her child (and that is what cats are - childlike) wander outside.

Hopefully, he will come home! And, when he does NEVER allow him out again. And, if you need to ask us for advice on how to accomplish that, please just ask us to help.

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should only leave the cat food can out during the day. As during the night it might attract other animals/predators which could end up harming him.

But yes, during the day of course! Anything you can do, try! Never give up unless you have definitive proof.
———
If he isn’t actually your ‘pet’ and you put a collar on him with a bell that a pet would wear.... you’ve taken a huge chunk of his ability to hunt away (which he would need now if he’s lost).
Ok, I'll try it now, thanks.
As for the collar, it was just to make sure that I would receive a call if anything happened to him. For example, accidentally walked inside someone's house; adopted, or went to another human for help.
I will definitely swap it with a tracking collar if only he would come back :( :(

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
If you don't make him an indoor cat, he will roam when he wants and for as long as he wants, and he will return home if and when he wants.

He's not a pet, he is your child, and you his mother. But, a mother would not let her child (and that is what cats are - childlike) wander outside.
Couldn’t have said it better if I tried.