My cat coughs. The vet doesn’t seem too concerned

Becca_and_remmy77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My cat does like that wheezy kinda cough. Maybe like three times a week? I asked for radiographs and the vet said she might have a small asthma problem or lung worms so she was on dewormer. She’s still doing the cough thing. She was a street cat before I brought her in but shes maybe 8 months. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be this concerned? Her vet seems to think she’s fine. She eats fine and plays rough. What can I do to help her during these bouts!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper does this, sometimes, too.

He crouches down, sticks his neck out and makes a kind of honking sound as he coughs. It seems like he's trying to bring up a hairball but nothing comes out.

He's done it ever since we adopted him. It only happens once in a while but it's pretty distressing when it does.

We asked our vet about it and she said that some cats just do it.
Sometimes it's because of asthma, like your vet said. It might be caused by some kind of allergy. It could be caused by dust or pollen in the air. Pollen and allergy season is right around the corner, you know. Cats are affected by pollen just like people. It's hard to know for sure

As long as it only happens occasionally and it doesn't last for more than a minute or so, your cat will be none the worse for the wear. If it happens often or lasts more than a short time, you should call the vet right away.

If your vet thinks its asthma, there are special inhalers for cats that you can give them medicine with.
It's almost the same thing as the stuff that's used for people, only specially made for cats.

This is something you'll have to talk to your vet about.

If it's just an occasional thing and if your vet says it's nothing to worry about, just pet your cat and comfort her until she feels better. It usually lasts only a minute or so, then she should be going about her business as usual.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you haven't already the next time he does it record it on a video to show to the vet and share online. That would help for the diagnosis.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What does your cat eat?
I would also advise to brush daily, specter no longer has coughing issues because she eats wet and and os brushed daily, the wet helping the flow of hair through her system and brushing to avoid a overload of fur in there.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coughing could be asthma, or it could also be a polyp in his ear. One of our cats has had polyps removed and the primary way we knew he had one was coughing (bc it goes down the back of their throats sometimes). Are his ears clean? Polyps can be lasered out of the ears-- our cat hasn't had his return.