My cat chews on wooden tables and baseboards

sambomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My BoBo is almost 2 years old. He lives with his brother Samson who is a littermate and my husband and I. Our house is fairly quiet. No kids running around to cause stress. The kitties are indoor only. They are very happy brothers and are best buddies.

BoBo has always liked to chew on the corners of tables, but lately has been ruining all the trim and baseboards in the kitchen area. It's like a game for him. He seems to do this when I am in the kitchen most often and he has chewed pieces of trim off all the corners of the walls. I have tried to distract him with toys and I tell him NO and he listens for a minute, then goes right back to chewing again.

Is he bored, frustrated or just OCD?

We have bought him dog chew toys and he likes them, but he still prefers to chew the baseboards and he also likes to chew the coffee table in the TV room. Is he just trying to get our attention?

BoBo is a very gentle kitty and is a good boy most of the time. We don't punish BoBo, we just say NO. We don't like spray bottles either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Teresa, BoBo and Samson

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Bitter Apple on the corners or place some 2 sided sticky tape in specific areas
Susan

This is an old problem so maybe you have found a soln.

Another Canadian

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sambomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Susan! I'm going to try the two way tape in the most chewed corners. I tried dabbing a little vinegar on all the spots where he chews, but that didn't work.

Have a good day!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe something in this article will help?
[article="33224"][/article]

We've got a problem chewer, too, though his specialties were tablecloths and shoes. Now we make sure he has a new cardboard box at all times, plus cardboard scratchers, to tear apart. It's made a huge difference.

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I have a cat who chewed on a windowsill and magazines/books. She is mostly a scratcher and has mostly torn up carpet. I just posted about her. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sambomama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for sending the article. It was interesting.

We had a cardboard scratcher, but he was eating it. I had to take it away.
I hope he grows out of this stage soon.

Thanks for your suggestions!