My cat changed his personality since we got a new kitten

michelleclohesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I raised my cat from a very young age, he was a stray cats kitten and I bottle fed him he has alot of health issues as he is likely inbred, and has always been a happy house cat who would just sit in the garden and rarely left it.
To give him some company we got a kitten and he reacted very badly at first but within a few days he calmed down and seemed to except the new kitten but recently he stopped being affectionate, and started disappearing all day only coming home late at night to eat, but after 30 minutes of being home he crys to go out again. How can I fix my relationship with him as he means the world to me. We was once so close I could use him as a pillow and he was content. Please can anyone advice me on what to do.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I raised my cat from a very young age, he was a stray cats kitten and I bottle fed him he has alot of health issues as he is likely inbred, and has always been a happy house cat who would just sit in the garden and rarely left it.
To give him some company we got a kitten and he reacted very badly at first but within a few days he calmed down and seemed to except the new kitten but recently he stopped being affectionate, and started disappearing all day only coming home late at night to eat, but after 30 minutes of being home he crys to go out again. How can I fix my relationship with him as he means the world to me. We was once so close I could use him as a pillow and he was content. Please can anyone advice me on what to do.
How long has it been since you brought home the little one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michelleclohesy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little ones been here about two months now.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Has he been neutered?

If he seemed to accept the new kitten but then experienced a personality change, it could mean that he hasn’t fully accept the new guy…but it could also mean he’s ill and needs a trip to the vet. Cats sometimes will go off by themselves when they’re not feeling well. It’s also possible that someone else is feeding him and he’s hanging out there.

I’d suggest taking him to the vet for a check up and also keeping him in for several days to observe his behavior more closely.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been neutered?

If he seemed to accept the new kitten but then experienced a personality change, it could mean that he hasn’t fully accept the new guy…but it could also mean he’s ill and needs a trip to the vet. Cats sometimes will go off by themselves when they’re not feeling well. It’s also possible that someone else is feeding him and he’s hanging out there.

I’d suggest taking him to the vet for a check up and also keeping him in for several days to observe his behavior more closely.
Absolutely agreed. Some blood work and a urine sample to rule out anything that can’t be found on physical exam. And love him up love him up love him up. He may need a lot of reassurance right now. Let him know he’s still top cat in your heart. (But do the vet visit anyway.