My Cat Breathes Weird When He Purrs?

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that my Opie sneezes occasionally but He may have a few allergies like me. It is only once or twice a day so I am NOT worried. If I did NOT take my Zyrtec every morning I would not even be able to have a cat period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! Im just obsessing over the possibility he might cough again. :/ so far it was only the one time. It's been a day and a half and he's completely normal. Sigh. Can I just relax for 5 mins? Lol!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...you are really having it rough.  May I recommend meditation and New Age soundtracks?  They've worked wonders for me!  

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! I'm just so annoyed with myself. My old cats ENTIRE life he coughed and I thought nothing of it! Wasn't even worried! And now after everything I am on such a red alert. I thought I would be so normal after the vet visit. Lol! Guess I was wrong.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also I will add - I checked Calvin's breathing while he was relaxed! He was right about 20 Breaths per min.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! I'm just so annoyed with myself. My old cats ENTIRE life he coughed and I thought nothing of it! Wasn't even worried! And now after everything I am on such a red alert. I thought I would be so normal after the vet visit. Lol! Guess I was wrong.
No, not really. You were surprised by how quickly your old cat sickened and died. You wonder if you should have "known" somehow that he was sick. You wonder if there was anything you "could'a, should'a" done that would have changed the outcome.

Now, you're watching like a hawk for anything that looks like it could be a symptom of a serious disease. I think that's a relatively normal grief response.

You are overreacting a bit. You need to step back just a little from being "hyper-mom" and look at the issues over a day or two before reacting.

Sure, there are certain sets of symptoms you should never ignore or wait to see the vet about. You already know what those are.

Running to the vet all the time WILL exhaust your resources and your credit. You could schedule well-cat exams every 6 months, but that's usually unnecessary for young, healthy cats.

I believe several people have suggested keeping a journal. You can take pictures and weigh Calvin. You can make notes of what and how much he is eating and drinking and even take notes (or pictures) of the litterbox "deposits".

The journal will help you look at what his typical behaviors are, and gives you data you will be able to compare with whatever new behavior or difference you see (or feel). Slight differences in behavior could be trends that need to be checked, or just his day-to-day variation.

I'm sure you do know how to evaluate those things that are real problems, but your grieving process just isn't over for your older kitty.

Doing something that gives you a solid reference to use as Calvin gets older will be a huge help if he gets sick.

(Pro-)Actively creating a journal about Calvin's habits and quirks will also help you deal with the day-to-day things that scare you so much right now.

Sorry this turned out to be so long. I didn't mean to write an essay.....

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
No, not really. You were surprised by how quickly your old cat sickened and died. You wonder if you should have "known" somehow that he was sick. You wonder if there was anything you "could'a, should'a" done that would have changed the outcome.

Now, you're watching like a hawk for anything that looks like it could be a symptom of a serious disease. I think that's a relatively normal grief response.

You are overreacting a bit. You need to step back just a little from being "hyper-mom" and look at the issues over a day or two before reacting.

Sure, there are certain sets of symptoms you should never ignore or wait to see the vet about. You already know what those are.

Running to the vet all the time WILL exhaust your resources and your credit. You could schedule well-cat exams every 6 months, but that's usually unnecessary for young, healthy cats.

I believe several people have suggested keeping a journal. You can take pictures and weigh Calvin. You can make notes of what and how much he is eating and drinking and even take notes (or pictures) of the litterbox "deposits".

The journal will help you look at what his typical behaviors are, and gives you data you will be able to compare with whatever new behavior or difference you see (or feel). Slight differences in behavior could be trends that need to be checked, or just his day-to-day variation.

I'm sure you do know how to evaluate those things that are real problems, but your grieving process just isn't over for your older kitty.

Doing something that gives you a solid reference to use as Calvin gets older will be a huge help if he gets sick.

(Pro-)Actively creating a journal about Calvin's habits and quirks will also help you deal with the day-to-day things that scare you so much right now.

Actually thanks for this. I am a bit like the OP after losing Hector I tend to overreact whenever my cats eat less than normal.

Sometimes we just need to stop and think things through logically.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you SO much for this! It's so true. Everything asides from what I've listed is fine. He uses his litter often, he LOVES food, he is actively playing and has been checked by a vet not once but twice - once before I got him!

And I've only owned him for 2 months... There is a lot to still "know" about my new little guy. Maybe he coughs every once and a while - Or he has allergies I didn't notice yet! Going to try and relax :) You guys are all amazing.

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also one more symptom to note: he seems to be shaking his head as well???! I read that it could be related to allergies.... he also coughed again. Not a fit. Just a small sneeze cough. Sigh. Ok. Going to try and relax now. Lol.

Last edited:

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And he let out a big cough sneeze! :/ I don't even know what to call it. I'm hoping it's maybe a cold working thru his system :(

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking, if he is still clear-eyed, that allergies may be the issue, and they are almost ALL easily treatable.  This is good stuff.  

@foxden  's idea about a journal is wonderful on several fronts,  It will allow you to become familiar with what is normal for your cat, and see patterns in his habits and behaviors.  You will know immediately (and, of course, record) any deviations from the norm, and the journal will be invaluable to your vet if he actually does ever get sick.  I don't keep an actual journal on Hekitty, but I do have her medical notebook, and I write down any questions I have for her vet, as well as leaving a space to make notes on the answer, and if the problem was resolved and how.  It goes with her every trip to the vet she makes.  LOL...I have one just like it for me, come to think of it!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to take my journal to the vet! I called my vet today and asked her about it. I told her everything and she isn't concerned at all! She said that it could be a URI and she wouldn't want to put him on antibiotics unless it gets WORSE because the antibiotics are hard on the stomach! She told me not to be concerned but just watch him. She also said to use lysine!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like good advice to me!  And I'm betting she is glad that you have that journal so you can give her the information she needs!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! He has been on 250 mg of lysine and he is ALREADY improving! The coughs have settled down and his little wheezy purr is even getting better! Still a couple coughs and sneezing but he seems to even have MORE energy!!!

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been going crazy!! Running around, jumping, stealing magnets off the fridge....Lol!! I'm so glad he's doing better. Hope he keeps improving.

Does anyone know how much you should give a cat Lysine wise? 250-500 mg?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  This is excellent news!  Are you getting to relax a little more and just enjoy him now?

weezercat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know me ;) I'll TRY! But who knows... Some other issue will pop up and I'll go crazy again! LOL