My cat bit a frog, what should I do?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(A bit TMI)
A day ago, my cat (potato) bit a frog. It was around 2AM and we have a front yard and he kept meowing at the door. All members of my family were awake at the time so we decided it’d be okay if we all went out with him. My other cat was sleeping upstairs and Potato was lonely. And they have went out before, so it seemed okay. Anyways, we live in a desert country so a grey frog came up to him. Some of my family members thought it was a frog but most thought it was another insect he was chasing. I told them to pick him up, since I'm utterly terrified of anything that jumps and all insects. I kept insisting trying to keep my voice down not to wake my neighbours, and that cat means a lot to me, so me and one of my other family members kept insisting until my dad picked him up. But he had to force the frog out his mouth, which was really hard. Anyways, we got him inside and he started throwing up. I was crying so I couldn’t even bare to look at him, but my dad researched it, and he found out it was bad for dogs but not for most cats. I don't know if thats true or not. He threw up a bit more and then he was fine, We cleaned up his vomit and I decided to comfort him after he wasn’t throwing up. He drank some water and ate food, and some hours later he purred and meowed like normal.
I’m still worried and want to take him to the vet, but I heard cats can get the coronavirus and its nerve-wracking. My parents also aren’t letting me leave the house so I have to stay in. I’ll tell my parents to bring him to the vet if you think I should, we’re just all very unsure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's eating, drinking, acting normal now, he should be ok :). Most amphibians have mild toxins, just enough to make an animal think twice about eating them, but aren't deadly. But of course if he stops eating or is acting weird, you'll have to find a way to get him to the vet.

There are some deadly kinds of amphibians though. Do you know what species it was that your dad looked up, so you can research it yourself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's eating, drinking, acting normal now, he should be ok :). Most amphibians have mild toxins, just enough to make an animal think twice about eating them, but aren't deadly. But of course if he stops eating or is acting weird, you'll have to find a way to get him to the vet.

There are some deadly kinds of amphibians though. Do you know what species it was that your dad looked up, so you can research it yourself?
Yeah, we live in a desert country and he said it was grey, so i’ll assume its a desert frog. Can’t find anything about it thats major, lots of sources say different things. Do you know anything specific? It says it’s toxic to dogs but i'm unsure if its the same to cats.
He’s acting completely normal, he sleeps the same amount he used to, purrs, and he eats perfectly normal. I’m still stressing if I should bring him to the vet incase the frog was toxic, but this does help a lot! He seems perfectly fine so thats awesome.