My cat Bambi has cardiomyopathy and we are desperate for help right now

Bubble_grass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful cat named Bambi 💚she’s one year and two months and has 3 baby kittens that are less than 2 weeks old😍Unfortunately, my husband and I found out a week ago Bambi has a heart condition (Cardiomyopathy) and is heading towards the end of her life if she doesn’t get treatment. This does nothing but keep me on my toes Bc I lost my job due to corona virus and so did my husband. Her lungs and heart were filled with a liquid a week ago which put her into heart failure.. which the doctors have said has high chances of happening again. My husband and I constantly check in on her heart rate, temp, and breathing every couple hours because of how bad her shape is. We give her all the love she asks for ❤ our hearts are full with love for her and I can’t bare to think that one day I might check on her and she won’t be responsive.. and her kittens will die . (We have also found out this is why her beloved sister died) ☹with the Coronavirus it’s hard to make money period . Most of us can’t find a job, and most of us can’t waste money on things other than food, or necessities. Because of this, we can’t give our baby the treatment she needs 😕 and may have up to a couple weeks- months left. She’s a mother 🥺🥺 and we need to make sure she’s ok for her young, and she’s a small cat herself which makes her very weak and frail. She has a hard time defending herself now, but she throws herself in front of her young at any cost which to me is very strong and brave of her. (She tried to scare of raccoons the other night and was successful!) If anyone could help Bambi with any amount we would be so grateful that we have some money for her to at least live a couple months. If anyone is interested her is the link ( Saving Bambi organized by Kevin Budhi). 💚thank you for your support and I hope you guys understand how stressful this is. We have recently faced a pet loss which was her sister in February. Our hearts are already dealing with that damage and we can’t have that wound re opened.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Note that this reminder is posted in all threads asking for donations and is not directed at any specific person.

From the Mods:
To all members, a reminder that it is YOUR responsibility to check out these solicitors to the best of your ability. Ask for references, phone numbers, call around the area and find out if this is a legitimate cause or a scam. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reason that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized. Be very careful before you send any money: no matter how effective the plea is, check it out first before opening your wallet. For more information, see Pleas for Money.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have kmr and bottles at the ready? It might be necessary to hand rear these babies so mom can focus her energy on fighting this condition.

Please also contact a rescue organization who can help you with hand rearing the little ones.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She should be able to sustain a longer life expectancy if you get her on the right medication as soon as possible. Do they know what caused it? The medication will probably have to be continued for the rest of her life. As suggested please reach out to foster groups, vets, or members here if you should have to step in and feed those kittens.

Have you thought about taking her to a university where the costs could be cheaper?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubble_grass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have kmr and bottles at the ready? It might be necessary to hand rear these babies so mom can focus her energy on fighting this condition.

Please also contact a rescue organization who can help you with hand rearing the little ones.
Yes I do! We are prepared to take over and feed the babies. And yes we help her with stimulating the cats to use the rest room:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubble_grass

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She should be able to sustain a longer life expectancy if you get her on the right medication as soon as possible. Do they know what caused it? The medication will probably have to be continued for the rest of her life. As suggested please reach out to foster groups, vets, or members here if you should have to step in and feed those kittens.

Have you thought about taking her to a university where the costs could be cheaper?
They don’t know what caused it since she’s so young. We think she might been born with it or maybe had it early in life since her sister had it too. Yeah the medication will be needed but that’s what we have trouble affording unfortunately. We were taught how to feed the babies which I’m thankful for. University can treat them?? I didn’t know that I’m going to look into it

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
They don’t know what caused it since she’s so young. We think she might been born with it or maybe had it early in life since her sister had it too. Yeah the medication will be needed but that’s what we have trouble affording unfortunately. We were taught how to feed the babies which I’m thankful for. University can treat them?? I didn’t know that I’m going to look into it

Is there a cheaper version of the medication? I am asking this because it most likely will be an ongoing treatment- for the rest of her life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had a cat that lived with this condition for years and was on a cheap medicine called Lasix to get the fluid buildup out. For now, that may help. Call the vet that gave you that diagnosis and ask for it. It also makes the blood a little thicker so the heart can pump it better.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generic for Lasix is furosemide. There are pet prescription discount cards out there such as Good Rx Pet, SingleCare, WellPet; most chain pharmacies accept them. I shop around.
as far as getting funding, many vets will accept phoned-in credit card funding for a pet's account. You can ask if they accept PayPal as well.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is outdoors.

Keeping her and the kittens indoors so that she is not forced to defend them from predators will keep them safe, reserve her energy, and reduce her stress (which is not good for the heart).

Cats can also become pregnant again within a couple of weeks of giving birth. Having her outdoors, unspayed, is going to attract in tact males who will try and mate with her.

Mating is a very stressful and painful experience for female cats. They are often injured fighting off males they don’t wish to mate with, or during the mating itself. Mating with males of unknown vaccination history also exposes her to all sorts of infections and diseases, that she could then pass to her kittens, as well.

And obviously another pregnancy would not be good for her health!

I understand you were unable to have her fixed due to the pandemic, but please keep everyone safely inside at all times.

As others mentioned, Lasix/furosemide is cheap. What other medications or treatments are they recommending? We might be able to point you to cheaper alternatives or generics if your vet isn’t doing so.

Due to her age, I think it’s highly probable that she (and her sister) were born with this. There was nothing you could have done, and I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this. It’s so difficult watching them struggle to breathe. At least you were able to catch it with Bambi sooner so that you have a chance to help extend her life.

I’m not sure if you’re keeping the kittens, but if so, you’re going to want to ensure they have a check up at least twice annually, since this is genetic. If you find other homes for them, please make sure to pass on this information to their new families, as well, and tell them what signs to look for.

Hang in there 🖤

Here are some financial aid options you might look into -

284BFFD8-00C7-434A-84D5-E2F4B4A5822A.jpeg

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Generic furosemide is extremely cheap - and effective - in humans. Also for humans (I dont know for cats) they are otehr lomg-time releasing diuretics, extremely cheap as well.

Diuretics can help heart a lot (if prescribed by a vet! And only in such case!).