My cat attacks my hair and face at night!

megmmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a cat that is almost 8 mo. old. He is very sweet and affectionate usually. At night he will lay on the pillow behind my head. He will be purring, or be asleep. Then he wakes up and starts clawing my hair and grabs my face, sometimes draws blood. His ears aren't back, it seems like he is playing, but it hurts! Anyone know why he could be doing this and how to stop it?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal behavior.  With kittens, everything is a toy!  In bed, it's either the feet or hair or face or all of them that they find to be the most fascinating toys on the human body.  They just find it fun... It's different than theirs and they notice that.  Plus it smells like you and they don't feel there is a problem.  They don't know their claws hurt us or pulling our hair hurts us.  They usually grow out of it on their own eventually.  But if it is a big problem for you, just don't let them sleep with you. 

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you could try Soft-paws. they are silicone claw covers designed to stop destructive scratching . I used them with my boy while I was teaching him not to scratch and bite me so that he couldn't cut me with his claws. Here's a link:http://www.softpaws.com/

I bought mine at the pet store for about 23dollars canadian