My cat, Atlas, does not eat food after Intestinal Blockage surgery.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am writing about my cat Atlas, who is a 2.5-year-old medium/long-haired cat that I adopted from a shelter along with his brother Aram. On Friday, I noticed that Atlas wasn't eating and had vomited several times. I thought he may have been poisoned by a new flower bouquet that I had at home, so I took him to the emergency room. They kept him overnight and performed an X-ray, but since they did not have an ultrasound or surgeon available on the weekend, they referred us to another hospital. After an ultrasound, they confirmed a blockage in his intestines and Atlas had surgery on Saturday. He is currently recovering in the hospital, but he still isn't eating.

I am concerned about Atlas's lack of appetite and wonder if it's normal for cats to go without eating for two days. There are many dogs in the hospital, and Atlas is scared of dogs in general. I am thinking this may be the reason why he isn't eating. Currently, his blood work and urine tests look normal. Should I bring him home, which is a less stressful environment, or should I let him stay there and receive IV fluids?

Additionally, I am worried about whether I made the right decision to take him to the hospital or if the hairball would have passed on its own. Is it possible that the ultrasound could distinguish between a normal hairball passing on its own and a hairball causing a blockage?

Thank you.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You were right to do surgery. He was vomiting so it was already obstructing. When it gets to that point, it isn’t going to pass on its own.
What does the vet think about his not eating? There are appetite stimulants he can be given. Also make sure he is getting good pain medication. It’s a painful surgery.
The only one that can give you valid advice on taking him home or keeping in the hospital, is the veterinarian that did the surgery, or is responsible for his care.
I hope he feels better soon.

will the hospital let you visit and hand feed him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response.
The vet is also concern about his appetite. she changed his pain medication to see if it helps. She called me that he seems less anxious but still no food. I went to hospital in the morning with his favorite food and treat but he did not eat it. He was super agitated and nervous. It is the first time he use care colar so he was ver uncomfortable and moving his head nervously side to side to just get rid of it. It was a very sad scene.
The plan for now is to go there tomorrow morning around 10 with the hope that he can come home. I was thinking if the doctor let him home, he may feel better in his own environment. It am so stressed and sad so I am questioning all my decision.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand what you are thinking.You might want to ask your vet about a tiny amount of Midazolam as an appetite stimulant and to help him relax. Most cats will not eat in a cage with an e-collar on and dogs and stress. I think you should look into getting him a onesie instead of the collar. They have ones for medical purposes just for cats.
You will need to set him up in a confined area where he can’t jump up. This can be done with a large playpen if it has a lid or a very large dog cage. It has to be large enough to fit a small low sided litter pan. It is best to secure the litter pan to the floor of the cage with double stick Velcro.
You should also use white shredded paper or something that isn’t clumping litter so he doesn’t have it clump on his feet.

You need to either cover half the cage with a towel or make a place he can hide inside the cage. He needs to be able to feel safe.
At the vet do they have anything for him to hide in?

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I just ordered an Onesie for him and will receive it tomorrow. I will request Midazolam from his vet tomorrow.

I have an empty room with no furniture but carpet so I will keep him there to have space.

"You should also use white shredded paper or something that isn’t clumping litter so he doesn’t have it clump on his feet." Do you mean it is better not to use clomping litter? Do you think Purina Yesterday's News Non Clumping Paper Cat is a good substitute?

I know in the hospital he is in a cage and they sometimes put a blanket on the shelf to make him better privacy. Unfortunately, they did not let me in the main triage area.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, yesterdays news is fine. I wouldn’t use clumping just yet. In my experience with post op cats, is that they have often been on fluids and have to urinate allot.Often they aren’t agile enough to get out of the way of the urine and will get it on their feet. Then the litter lumps to their feet like clay and it’s hard to get off. Or worse yet, they will become exhausted and lay down in the litter box. Then you have an entire clay cat to deal with that you cant get wet due to the incision.

I am glad you got him the onesie.He will most likely be happier with that. They hate e collars.Just make sure to check the incision daily.

The Midazolam is a controlled substance that is given as an injection in a hospital setting.I doubt they would send it home.

There is an appetite stimulant called Mirtazipine that comes in pill form or as a transdermal gel you put on the inside of the earflap. You might want to ask for that.

Please let us know how it goes when you get him home.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Atlas is back home:redheartpump: The onesie is the best idea. Thanks a lot S silent meowlook for suggesting. For today, I make him to use the e colar since he should not lick his hand and foot ( site of the catheters removal) but I open e colar from tomorrow.
I am waiting for him to start eating, drinking and using litter box. He seems more comfortable compared to the time we arrived home.

Attachments