My cat ate the whole feather that he played with...

linguist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up this morning and found that the whole feather in the feather toy he plays with has completely gone! I know he ate it because he did it before but only ate a very little bit. I put the toy on the counter and for the past 8 months he never jumped up to the counter so I thought it was safe enough. He shows no sign of discomfort and still plays like he usually does. But I wonder if this can cause health problems? Will he release the feather in his poo? Anyone had similar experience? Thanks.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear! Kitties sure keep life interesting, don't they!?!

It probably could cause some kind of problem if it doesn't pass, so time to stand on poop watch! Look for discomfort, no interest in eating, no bowel movement, lack of interest in playing if you don't see it come out in his stool.

You might have to do what I do...put fun toys in a drawer or in a cabinet your cat can't get to.

Stephanie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear
silly kitties, we can't turn our backs on them for a moment before they get into some sort of trouble!

Was it just a feather? no strings, bells, or anything else that could bind and not pass?
Cats do catch birds and most will eat them, probably eating a few feathers in the process. So hopefully, he'll be fine. Watch him for problems, as was suggested.
Good luck that err... everything comes out all right?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big was the feather? If it wasn't very big, it will probably pass normally. If it was larger, or more string-like, definitely watch closely for any signs of change and then call a vet right away if you notice any (eating, drinking, excreting differently than normal).

shortstuff2309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Cats do love to eat all kinds of odd things, don't they? I hope he's ok after that! I have no idea if he would be or not... though I would think he'd be ok since outdoor cats do eat birds sometimes...? Just a thought!

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That goofy cat! Well, I'd just keep an eye on him.

My cat, Loki, ate a ribbon a few months ago while I looked away for two seconds! He actually didn't pass it, but threw it up a WEEK later. Whole thing just freaked me out, and I'm a lot more careful now.

Stupid kitties.

Tricia