My cat ate dryer sheets

Horizon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet boy Frankie passed away this morning from ingesting dryer sheets. I never used dryer sheets before and now I wish I never started using them. He was in a lot of pain before he passed on. I advise everyone to keep dryer sheets away from your pets. If I would of known this would of never happened. I love you Frank.. and I'm so sorry for the pain I caused you

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so, so sorry to hear this. Thank you for the warning, we can all be more careful and I never knew these could be an issue.

Try not to beat yourself up, it’s obvious you gave him love and a home. :hugs:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your cat :grouphug:

Anything you wouldn't let a child get their hands on you also don't want your pets to get into for the same reason. Such items should be kept well out of reach and inaccessible. Hopefully members will read your warning and take the time to pet-proof their home as much as they can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Horizon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m so, so sorry to hear this. Thank you for the warning, we can all be more careful and I never knew these could be an issue.

Try not to beat yourself up, it’s obvious you gave him love and a home. :hugs:
Yes I would of never thought of him eating a Dyer sheet..thank you for your kind words. For now on I will be extra careful..

Horizon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your cat :grouphug:

Anything you wouldn't let a child get their hands on you also don't want your pets to get into for the same reason. Such items should be kept well out of reach and inaccessible. Hopefully members will read your warning and take the time to pet-proof their home as much as they can.
Yes I wish I would of been more careful. But I am hoping that this post will help pet owners know that there are so many toxic things in your house that can make your pets sick and worse die. I am going to be extra cautious now.. unfortunately I had to learn the hard way..

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I thank you for posting - it never would have dawned on me that a cat might eat a dryer sheet, any more than I'd be tempted to eat one myself. I'll have to be more careful - the cats aren't allowed in the laundry room anyway, but occasionally a dryer sheet will stow away in the clean clothes when I remove them from the laundry room.

Please remember that we're all here for you in your time of loss. :grouphug2: Also, you may find this thread helpful: Grieving

Margret

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know for sure, but it seems that at least some brands of dryer sheets have a significant amount of Tyvek in them. That stuff's pretty strong (we had hazmat suits at work that were made of it) and wouldn't break up in the cat's digestive tract. It's just a recipe for disaster if kitty ate some.

Horizon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this, and I thank you for posting - it never would have dawned on me that a cat might eat a dryer sheet, any more than I'd be tempted to eat one myself. I'll have to be more careful - the cats aren't allowed in the laundry room anyway, but occasionally a dryer sheet will stow away in the clean clothes when I remove them from the laundry room.

Please remember that we're all here for you in your time of loss. :grouphug2: Also, you may find this thread helpful: Grieving

Margret
Thank you for your support..he was my sweet boy. I will miss him very much

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know for sure, but it seems that at least some brands of dryer sheets have a significant amount of Tyvek in them. That stuff's pretty strong (we had hazmat suits at work that were made of it) and wouldn't break up in the cat's digestive tract. It's just a recipe for disaster if kitty ate some.
You astonish me; I never would have thought that they'd put Tyvek in dryer sheets. I get the really big Tyvek envelopes to use as backing for glittery paper with stickum on the back that I use for some of my crafts; it's strong enough to prevent the edges of the paper from tearing into other edges where the two come against each other at an angle, under a certain amount of pressure..

Even if dryer sheets don't have Tyvek in them they certainly have toxic chemicals; I can't imagine any variety of dryer sheet being safe to eat.

Margret

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so, sorry for your loss, absolutely heart breaking. :alright:
Thankfully, my cats have never shown any interest in the dryer sheets that get strewn about as I fold my laundry. It's not unheard of that I find one under the bed when I'm sweeping...and who knows how long it was there!? But you can be sure that I will be very cautious from now on about disposing of them promptly. They also don't have access to my laundry room so at least they safe from that end.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss and for what you’re going through Horizon :(

If anyone is looking for a safer and environmentally friendly alternative, I’m using wool drier balls and they do the job (although I have no comparison to drier sheets as I’ve never used them).
That’s the product I have:

Friendsheep Wool Dryer Balls, Organic Fair Trade Reusable Fabric Softener, Extra Large, 6 Pack, Black Penguin - Cool Friends

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so so sorry!!

RIP sweetheart baby :rbheart: Hopefully your person can gain a little peace after a while as well.

I’m using wool drier balls and they do the job (although I have no comparison to drier sheets as I’ve never used them).
That’s the product I have:
Me too, same brand. They're terrific, although they can leave the clothes a little staticy compared to dryer sheets but I work with it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're terrific, although they can leave the clothes a little staticy compared to dryer sheets but I work with it.
Won't work for me, then. I have a pair of Polar Fleece sweat pants that I wear all the time in winter, and I have to dry them inside out with dryer sheets or they cling to my legs terribly.

I wonder if liquid fabric softener in the washer would take care of the problem. :headscratch: I also wonder whether I could find unscented fabric softener, since I have people in the house with allergies.

Margret

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Won't work for me, then. I have a pair of Polar Fleece sweat pants that I wear all the time in winter, and I have to dry them inside out with dryer sheets or they cling to my legs terribly.

I wonder if liquid fabric softener in the washer would take care of the problem. :headscratch: I also wonder whether I could find unscented fabric softener, since I have people in the house with allergies.

Margret
I add a little of white vinegar instead of a fabric softener; that and/or the wool balls prevent statics and clinginess imo. I was looking for unscented softener and they are available, but I chose to try the vinegar first and it's working for us. There is some scent residue if I add too much but it goes away when the clothes are dry.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You astonish me; I never would have thought that they'd put Tyvek in dryer sheets. I get the really big Tyvek envelopes to use as backing for glittery paper with stickum on the back that I use for some of my crafts; it's strong enough to prevent the edges of the paper from tearing into other edges where the two come against each other at an angle, under a certain amount of pressure..

Even if dryer sheets don't have Tyvek in them they certainly have toxic chemicals; I can't imagine any variety of dryer sheet being safe to eat.

Margret
I based my comment on the long fibers that some dryer sheet brands have in them. They're exceptionally strong, and act and feel like Tyvek in the hands. I think a small quantity is added to keep the sheets from falling apart during the drying cycle (it should be noted that not all brands of dryer sheets act that way). The chemicals in them definitely would be problematical for a cat, no matter what the base material is. Fortunately, my cats have never shown much interest in freshly-laundered wash. They always preferred lying in the dirty clothes.

The vinegar in the wash water works well and has the advantage of eliminating bacteria and odors in front-loader washers, which sometimes is a problem with them. I always did that in addition to using liquid fabric softener in the rinse cycle.

I stopped using dryer sheets because they cause problems with the automatic sensing in my dryer.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
H Horizon we are so sorry that this sad news brought you to our website. Thank you for sharing your story to try to help other pet owners.

Our deepest condolences for your loss. If you'd like to post a tribute to your sweet kitty, we invite you to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Horizon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
T
H Horizon we are so sorry that this sad news brought you to our website. Thank you for sharing your story to try to help other pet owners.

Our deepest condolences for your loss. If you'd like to post a tribute to your sweet kitty, we invite you to do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.
Thank you I posted on the forum and posted a picture of my beautiful boy. 💓