My cat ate a little plastic

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat ate a small piece of this plastic from a toy this morning, i think its silicone- slightly flexible. I called the vet but the doctors aren’t in yet. He is acting fine and I am wondering if I could just monitor him. Do you think he might just poop it out? Also, I didnt actually see him eat it but the toy was near his food bowl and i cant find the missing piece. Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

Millie005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
make sure to track his stools and make sure hes eating like normal. Dont worry too much, it is only a piece of plastic. He will either throw it up in one of his furballs or will poop it after a few hours. Make sure that he doesnt fall sick/ lethargic and if he does take him to the vet immediately (speaking from experience as my puppy had a blockage in his intestines once),

hope this helps and please update us !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for your reply! I'm planning on inspecting his stools closely, to see if I can find it in them. Last year his brother-cat ate a piece of a rubber band and it came out alright, so I'm hoping it'll be the same.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure you will monitor his stools closely but to be safe I would call your vet when they open and ask how long you should wait if you don't see the piece of plastic in his poop. Better to be safe than sorry. ;) Good luck, please keep us posted.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you will monitor his stools closely but to be safe I would call your vet when they open and ask how long you should wait if you don't see the piece of plastic in his poop. Better to be safe than sorry. ;) Good luck, please keep us posted.
good idea! I actually just got in contact with a Vet and she's helping me track his symptoms. For now she said he doesn't need any medications but she told me to give him only wet food for now. We're going to stay in contact until this plays out

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: i found the piece in his poop this morning! It was still whole. His behavior is as normal as ever. Looks like everything is okay