My Cat Always Has Round Pupils When Contracted.

Leo3an

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat’s eyes are always round, both when contracted or dialated. When he is on a bright outdoor the pupils become very small round circles instead of vertical slits.

He is 10 years old, and I have never seen his pupils become vertical slits. Only big circular or small circular pupils like human eyes...

Is he ok?? I never thought of his eyes being different so far.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take the cat to the vet for a check up. 10 years old is considered senior age and many senior cats develop health issues due to age.

I know round dilated pupils can be an indicator of high blood pressure. Only a vet would be able to determine if your cat has that or some other health issue.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you owned him the entire 10 years? I so, and his eyes have always been that way, it's nothing to worry over. It is very unusual though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leo3an

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies.

My wife has had him for 10 years. I met him 5 years ago. She nor I have never seen his pupils become vertical slits.

I attched a photo of him when he is in the sun. It is not vertical slits but contracted small & round pupils.

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's very interesting. Has your vet ever commented on that being a health problem? If he's been healthy his whole life, it's probably not an issue...just interesting.

Maybe he's part "Big Cat". :) Lions and tigers have round pupils, not slits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Leo3an

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets never noticed his pupils. And he hunts small insects often. He catches flies, moths, butterflies. So i dont think his eyes have any problems.

Here are some photos of his eyes in different lighting conditions. Always round, but does get bigger and smaller like human eye dialation.

He is only 7 lbs... so i dont think he is any part lion, haha

Attachments

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very strange! Like human eyes peering out from a kitty face! But if he hunts little bugs no problem and is otherwise healthy, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a peculiar genetic variation. He's super cute!