My cat all of the sudden became sick...

nikmirbre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 2.5 years old fixed and has his shots. 2 days ago he started kinda "coughing" roughly every 2-3 minutes all day. My wife and I thought he was getting a cold. So come yesterday we wake up and he is just sitting there mouth wide open eyes half closed and drooling. He will not eat or drink anything. So I took him to the Vet and they done every test possible and including bloodwork and passed all tests. Vet noted that 3 different doctors looked at him and she had never seen anything like this. I went to pick him up and they referred me to a neurologist. But can't see them until Monday. And if he hasn't eaten by then ill have a feeding tube installed. They initially thought it was respiratory, but that would've been too easy and I wish it was so at least we could get him the treatment he needs. He's not "panting" or labored breathing at all.
Heres a rundown of the symptoms....

1. Mouth wide open
2. eyes shut and drooling
3 He will not eat at all
4. Wont put his neck or head down to sleep.

Ill try to upload a picture this evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikmirbre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is all he does all day..... I wish I could post video. Wednesday night he had a little cough. Wednesday morning/afternoon he was playing. Now this since Thursday morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have to believe the vet(s) looked in his mouth and down his throat? I was thinking it sounds like something stuck in his throat/airway, or possibly a growth of some sort that is partially blocking the area? Of, maybe it is further down than they can see without an x-ray or endoscope?

nikmirbre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they did. They put him to sleep to do so and found nothing. I believe it’s something to do with his throat. I have a video of him whenever he swallows he lunges his head forward like a hard swallow. This morning was the 1st day he licked a lil bit of water. He kinda licked a piece of food but that was it. His mouth is still open but not as far open as before. He now has green discharge coming out of his nose.... we’re at the emergency room now...

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
could it be a throat inflammation allergic reaction to something a chemical or plant ? When he is at the vet, does his symptom look a bit better like did your cat close his mouth at any point at the vet ? Did your cat ingest a small sharp object ?

Did your cat chew on electric wires and got an electric shock ? I believe someone on the catsite posted a similar situation , did your vet check for black teeth which may be burns from a wire. Cats sometimes nibble on wires and get shocked which leaves a black marking on the teeth and can cause drooling . The person didnt find any burn marks in the mouth flesh but found burnt teeth.

The cable your cat is sitting near in the photo looks frayed ?

nikmirbre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. He seemed to take a turn for the worse Saturday afternoon which is why we took him to the Emergency Vet. It turns out when we took him to the Vet Thursday, its almost like we took him a day too early. They could find nothing wrong after running a myriad of tests. The green discharge coming out of his nose was an indication of a bacterial infection. And the swallowing hard and lunging head forward while doing so was because of the drainage in his throat. But the 1st vet couldn't see that because the drainage was clear at the time. He came home Saturday afternoon and actually ate a little something!! Which was awesome news! He's eating very little here and there the past 2 days but he is at least walking around and being lovable. They gave him some fluids and a shot of some kinda pain meds which the side effect is his is a lot more lovable!!! We have the following meds...

Doxycycline..its an oral medicine
Sucraflate... another oral medicine I believe this one helps coat his throat.
Cerenia...nasal drops

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
could it be a throat inflammation allergic reaction to something a chemical or plant ? When he is at the vet, does his symptom look a bit better like did your cat close his mouth at any point at the vet ? Did your cat ingest a small sharp object ?

Did your cat chew on electric wires and got an electric shock ? I believe someone on the catsite posted a similar situation , did your vet check for black teeth which may be burns from a wire. Cats sometimes nibble on wires and get shocked which leaves a black marking on the teeth and can cause drooling . The person didnt find any burn marks in the mouth flesh but found burnt teeth.

The cable does look frayed

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. He seemed to take a turn for the worse Saturday afternoon which is why we took him to the Emergency Vet. It turns out when we took him to the Vet Thursday, its almost like we took him a day too early. They could find nothing wrong after running a myriad of tests. The green discharge coming out of his nose was an indication of a bacterial infection. And the swallowing hard and lunging head forward while doing so was because of the drainage in his throat. But the 1st vet couldn't see that because the drainage was clear at the time. He came home Saturday afternoon and actually ate a little something!! Which was awesome news! He's eating very little here and there the past 2 days but he is at least walking around and being lovable. They gave him some fluids and a shot of some kinda pain meds which the side effect is his is a lot more lovable!!! We have the following meds...

Doxycycline..its an oral medicine
Sucraflate... another oral medicine I believe this one helps coat his throat.
Cerenia...nasal drops
HOPE the kitty soon feels better

nikmirbre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Oh the cable has like a bread tie thing next to it...... not frayed :cool: