My cat after getting neutered, what should I do?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so my cat just came back from the vet a couple minutes ago. I fed him a little, and after a while I noticed he was crying. Not meowing, but actual tears from his eyes. This has happened and it excretes a sort of sticky discharge, I clean it but it happens almost daily. I used to think that nothing was really wrong, but now that he’s doing it a lot and constantly, I can’t help but worry. He can’t open his eyes properly, I’ve tried to clean it once or twice and it hasn’t worked so I got worried and stopped, what should I do? Also, is it okay for him to keep licking his private parts or should I stop him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t happen in excess, and he can always open his eyes. I can’t tell why he can’t right now, should I wait til tomorrow??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do NOT allow him to lick the surgical area, as he can actually groom the stitches out. As for his eyes, I suppose it might be some reaction to the anesthetic. I'd suggest calling the vet and asking him if this needs to be seen immediately, or if tomorrow is ok. It probably will be fine until then, but always best to ask.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet send you home with an ECollar to help prevent him from licking the area? If not, I suggest getting one today or, you can do a makeshift one with a paper plate, though I'm no expert in exactly how that's done. Try to keep him in a smaller space for today until he gets his bearings post-anesthesia. This will help avoid him running around and jumping right away. Sometimes right after this procedure cats get either lethargic or very active from the drugs used to put them under and also, the pain reliever they normally are given before leaving the vet.

As far as I'm aware cats don't cry or at least not in the sense we think of as human. More likely, his eyes are a bit dry from the procedure. Or they may look kind of glassy. If it continues ask your vet to have a look. You can periodically wipe his eyes with a warm, damp cloth. Use a separate one for each eye (paper towels are fine if soft type) to avoid any potential cross contamination if there's something else going on.

FYI, don't feed him too much until much later today. He's still under effects of the anesthesia and will be for several hours. Eating too much can make them have a sick stomach. Our vet usually recommends giving about 1/4 of what they normally eat - waiting a couple of hours and then give some more. If they tolerate that it's then fine to feed normally. If he throws up - hold off feeding anything else until much later in the day or the next morning. Offer a small dish of water too.