My can't won't eat kibble

Marty's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - my cat had a medical emergency a couple of weeks ago (he is fine now) but I had to feed him wet food for about a week due to a tube that was down his throat. I cannot get him to eat his kibble now - I've tried softening it with water - I've not fed him for a half day - he won't touch it. I need him to have some kibble as I sometimes have to leave him for a day and I don't want to leave out wet food for a day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned / wet cat food is a cooked product so it can be left out all day without fear of it spoiling. You can freeze the food into portion sizes and put the frozen pieces into a programmble timed feeder to slowly defrost and keep fresher longer.

Is there a reason why you only want to feed dry food? Canned / wet is healthier for cats in general.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There are food timers for wet food. Usuall6-8 hrs but I forgot to put in the frozen pads underneath once and she ate it 8 hrs later! The food is cooked since it's canned and she didn't get sick

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Kabby regularly leaves his canned food for several hours before going back to eat it. I've not noticed any ill effects from leaving canned food out for a few hours. I throw it away when it starts drying out.

As others have said canned is better if you can afford it. It helps keep them hydrated since cats don't drink much. It also helps them stay more trim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marty's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all - what kind of wet food do you recommend - he has a chicken/fish allergy. I am also in Canada
I am currently giving him GO Solutions Duck - finding canned food without chicken/fish is extremely difficult

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Performatrin ultra has some good options if he will tolerate turkey or beef beef stew is just beef and turkey pate is just turkey. Petvalu has many options available for cans. I buy for Indy there and she loves the performatrin ultra. She's very picky.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use this chart to find foods that are chicken and seafood free: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients Then just go through the results and see what is available in Canada.

Also try this thread on chicken / fish free food suggestions in Canada: