My Callie Has Become Very Needy After My Vincie Girl Crossed the Bridge

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vincie girl Crossed over on the 26h of August. Cal would look for her on the deck but I don't think realized that she was gone.
I thought she was finally getting over it till I came back from a doc appt last week. When I walked in the house she was crying so
much, she sounded forlorn. Since then she wants to be by my side, and follows me. I'm not usually gone for 5 hours but I don't want
my baby to be stressed. I'm thinking of getting a sitter, someone who will stay with her while I'm gone. Has anyone else experienced
this?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is normal behavior for a Cat who has lost a close companion, regardless of whether it was another Cat, a Dog, a Human or anything else. It sounds like it's finally hit her that Vincie isn't coming back and now she's afraid that you won't come back when you leave.

I'm not sure a sitter would really help unless it's someone she knows and trusts, but it's still possible it could help her so you could try it at least.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat become much more affectionate after his brother died myself; not uncommon is my understanding.

How old is Cal? If Cal is young enough to adapt, a kitten might help. If Cal is older, he may not thank you for a kitten, so just floating it, not saying its a good idea.

Sounds like you are home a lot, so I don't think a cat sitter is necessary. Cats, especially very bonded ones, adjust their schedules to their owners to a fair degree, so if you are gone for a few hours, they will often sleep, at least if your schedule is regularish. Indeed, your cat might have woken up to cry at you when she heard the garage door or something like that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat become much more affectionate after his brother died myself; not uncommon is my understanding.

How old is Cal? If Cal is young enough to adapt, a kitten might help. If Cal is older, he may not thank you for a kitten, so just floating it, not saying its a good idea.

Sounds like you are home a lot, so I don't think a cat sitter is necessary. Cats, especially very bonded ones, adjust their schedules to their owners to a fair degree, so if you are gone for a few hours, they will often sleep, at least if your schedule is regularish. Indeed, your cat might have woken up to cry at you when she heard the garage door or something like that.
Cal is 10, the Vincie girl was 19. I would like to have another cat but I cannot afford their health care. I was thinking of fostering but wouldn't want her to get attached and then suddenly gone.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. Callie is very friendly, loves people. A ArtNJ . I think I'll see how it goes before I get a sitter.
Yes, Talien Talien , it's finally hit her, poor baby. Thanks you the links, rubysmama rubysmama

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost Tik in August and now patches is clingy especially when I've been out longer than usual. Just today the minute he heard us walk in the door he cried like his little heart was breaking your cat like my boy probably heard you come in and had missed you loads. I think it's because their pal isn't keeping them company they want us more.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cal is 10, the Vincie girl was 19. I would like to have another cat but I cannot afford their health care. I was thinking of fostering but wouldn't want her to get attached and then suddenly gone.
Check around. SOME shelters offer a "permanent foster" situation for some cats, especially hard-to-place (elderly, etc) cats. They are responsible for medical care, and you, the fosterer, do daily expenses. The cat stays with you for life.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Check around. SOME shelters offer a "permanent foster" situation for some cats, especially hard-to-place (elderly, etc) cats. They are responsible for medical care, and you, the fosterer, do daily expenses. The cat stays with you for life.
Oh, thank you for this info!! That would be perfect. The feeding, etc is no problem, it's when they have an expensive illness that is hard to treat is when it gets difficult. The Vincie girl had an ongoing colitis prob that went on for almost 2 years. One visit was about $350..00 and I didn't have it. His bitch receptionist was so rude to me in front of other people,but he let me make monthly payments. Also, he was treating her with B12 injections once a week and only charged me for the injection, not the office visit. He is an amazing doc...head of the Akron Zoo. You should see some of the exoctic babies that come in. Iguana with a cold, large snakes with ailments, etc. The first time I took the Vincie girl there she was looking at all the others and thinking wth? ha!! I think she developed a crush on the iguana.

I will check it out.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I lost Tik in August and now patches is clingy especially when I've been out longer than usual. Just today the minute he heard us walk in the door he cried like his little heart was breaking your cat like my boy probably heard you come in and had missed you loads. I think it's because their pal isn't keeping them company they want us more.
Yes, I think you're right. I am sorry about Tiki.:rbheart::hugs:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our girl, Cocoabean, also went through a clingy phase after Casper passed last February. She suddenly always wanted to be sitting in between my husband and I on the couch, started sleeping with us (that used to be Casper's role) etc. It took her a few months to settle herself and get back more to her more normal routine although she certainly became more attached to us than she'd been before that.

However, we didn't treat her any different. Life goes on, you know? If we had places to be well, we went. No problem leaving her to run errands for a few hours She was fine and I think it was good for her to be able to learn to self soothe herself and for us to realize she'd be ok on her own too. For longer times away we did have someone stay with her of course but would have anyway.

We did feel she might need company and wanted another cat regardless so we did get another one in September, a kitten Luna. Perhaps not the best companion for her due to the age difference but as time is going on, they are now becoming friends and I do see a nice difference in Bean. She did need another cat here, someone to have those little chases with and such, a friend to keep her company those hours we are out for a few hours.

But I know getting another cat is not for everyone for whatever personal reasons they may have and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd just be sure not to put your own sorrow on the surviving cat because they can sense these things. Allow them the freedom to recover, keep them occupied, play with them, keep them mentally stimulated and I think you'll find that the clinginess may start to dissipate over time.