My breeder doesn’t give me the registration paper. What can I do?

Anhvo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got a British Short Hair for myself as a pet a year ago. That was my first pedigree pet ever, so I did not know what kind of paper should I ask for. I paid $1200 for her. The only paper that comes with the cat is a copy of her pedigree, which is black and white printed out, with a big letter “copy” in the middle of the paper, without the name or any information of the cat that I have. Breeder let me sign in a contract saying that I will spay the cat cause I just get it as a pet. And that is it! Nothing else.
Recently, I lost that copy of her pedigree. That’s the chance for me to read more about cat’s registration and stuff. I ask the breeder to provide paper so I can registered the cat, and she avoid to do so. All she explain is that I just got my cat as a pet so she could not give me any thing else, that she gave me “all appropriate paperwork for the kitten as a pet”. I’m just curious is that true? If that is true then is that mean you CANNOT registered a purebreed cat if she/he is a pet?
Btw, my baby was a very cute and warm cat. I love her so much no matter if she has any paper or no. I was just curious if that’s true or my breeder was tryna trick me (and my money).
Thank you for your help! Wish you all a blessed day!
EDCA2B78-1D4C-40EA-BBAE-FB7541C81778.jpeg
F00D5CD3-DFA1-4FD3-9F18-DC1E1790493F.jpeg
50DB2FE3-A844-407F-BBEF-1FADCE607A21.jpeg
24DA0EDD-CD3C-442A-A243-C5F87E48F798.jpeg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, she is a knockout and definitely the real deal but I do think it is strange that the breeder will not provide you with any papers on her.
Now this is with dogs: but when I got my purebred collie puppy ( as only a pet) we were given papers of her mother and father and so we could register her. Maybe cats are different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anhvo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, she is a knockout and definitely the real deal but I do think it is strange that the breeder will not provide you with any papers on her.
Now this is with dogs: but when I got my purebred collie puppy ( as only a pet) we were given papers of her mother and father and so we could register her. Maybe cats are different.
If what I’ve learned online after some research was true, then the same thing on purebred cat should be done. Even if I got her as a pet, I should have a “registration form” to register my cat, that form could only comes from a breeder.
Thank you for your reply!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that even if you got her as a pet, you are entitled to get registration papers from the breeder. Some breeders withhold registration papers until after a cat is spayed or neutered, but you should be able to get the papers after that.

I don't think the breeder was trying to trick you or scam you, because it looks like you have a beautiful, healthy, genuine British Shorthair... but the normal practice is to include registration papers.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she is holding the papers until the cat is neutered. While the registration (at least in CFA) has to have a pin number from the breeder if the cat is to be used for breeding, it just could be for extra insurance. Some people have no qualms about using a cat registered as not for breeding to breed. If the papers are withheld until the cat is altered, it should state that in your contract. Your cat is beautiful!

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was the pedigree you got a copy of for your cat or for one of the parents? Do you remember if it was through a registry agency or not? I'm wondering if this wasn't a litter that was registered at all, or perhaps one of the parents was under a no breeding contract and bred anyways? That's commonly how people sell unpapered purebreds around here.

az ragdolls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty 😍 breeders who send kittens home without being altered hold papers until proof of spay/nueter is provided by the new owner it's a safety measure to protect the breeders lines and help prevent backyard breeding, but you should have been told written or verbal of the hold. Send her proof it's easy enough to do, see what happens

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, Yes, the breeders always withhold final pedigree until they receive your proof of neuter.
Many pro breeders include linage history of kitten including 5/6 generations of titles and awards. Standard Health certificate and animal species’ genetic tests results of parents upon request.
Vet exam and current vaccines are a must for any animal sold in USA .
The question is can you register your kittie. I would start with. TICA the are currently backed up due to staff shortages, and are giving tickets # . There is CFA which you might try asking about how to register your kittie.
Maybe microchip # can trace information about your cute Bunny faced kittie.
It is another form of registration for animal, lot of info can be found there ,that is if breeder entered it into microchip system,