My boy Tangee

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to believe it's been over a year since I lost my Rascal baby. It's been a rather depressing year all in all, but we've not lost any more. Three must've been enough for now.  
For a long time I thought that I had changed so much from the grief, that it was going to be difficult for me to allow myself to get so close again..... Until last fall, when one scruffy but beautiful young stray changed my mind... 

And my life! Living in the mountains as I do, stray kitties are extremely rare. In fact I'd never seen one until this past spring when I looked out the window and there he was! A young un- neutered male orange tabby with the prettiest orange eyes I've ever seen. From that day I made certain he didn't have to hunt unless he wanted to. I made sure he was able to be warm and safe ( though still outside), until I could teach him that I was not a danger. It took from 4 to 6 months to "tame" him down. By then it was September, and I didn't want him out all winter if I could manage it. This turned out to be much easier than I had ever imagined such a thing could be. He had been and still was rather skittish around us, but had made friend with my cats in their outdoor pen. Suddenly, several surprising things seemed to happen all at once. Our little stray found his way ( somehow?) into the cat pen and scared himself. Realizing this, I went over and opened the gate/ door so he could leave if he wanted to. A few days later he was back inside the fence, but stayed a while to play with my cats. I worried for a while about the possibilities of him infecting my other cats... But soon realized that he had likely been out there longer than I knew, so it was rather too late, and I could not bring myself to scare him or chase him away. I thought if I could befriend him, then they could start getting checked out ( again) as he got used to us.

About a week later everything suddenly changed pretty dramatically. Hubby and I woke up one morning to find this little guy sitting in the hallway looking at us. He had found his way into the pen again, then followed the scents and made his way through a rather long tunnel, up the ramps, through the window, and into the house! From that morning, this has been his home.... Luckily, as I discovered he was injured not much after that. We went right to the Vet with no problems and a lot of trust.

We call him Tangee ( for Tangerine), and he is the world's sweetest, gentlest cat. We've had zero problems, no spraying, fighting, or other problems. His temperament is very much like my Rascal's, and I genuinely believe that he was sent to us. Such a sweetheart of a cat! I wish I knew his story, but I take him as he is.... A lovely, sweet, and loving gift, and I am so very grateful, every single day!
So--- Here he is, my Tangee!

Tangee, the Magical Merlin of cats!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Tangee is such a beautiful boy. It's interesting how cats seem to come into our lives just when we really need them. You are lucky to have found each other. I am so sorry about Rascal but so glad lovely Tangee found his way to you. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

junglecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tangee is gorgeous! He is a perfect match for your family!

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beautiful! A stray seems to show so much love because they feel saved also. Very happy for both of you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. He is a miracle, and I have some proof in the form of new photos if I can remember how to post them.... And my wrist cooperates. Soon I hope!
Blessings to everyone,
ConiKat

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Tangee is a beautiful kitty!
So glad that he found his way to you, and now has a safe loving home.
You will always miss your Rascal, but Tangee can help with that loss.
Who knows??
Maybe it was Rascal who sent Tangee to you. Rascal knew that you and Tangee needed each other, and he helped make that happen.
Nice thought, isn't it??

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful boy! I love it when they decide to move in with you that way. Most of my cats are ex-feral that I gradually coaxed indoors. Tangee really is handsome, I have a soft spot for ginger kitties.

Hope you can post some more pictures of him soon.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great story to read about him! Yes, you really can`t help but wonder what his story is. I took in a tame stray that had clearly been someones cat, I wondered did they move and leave her, did she get lost, did she get dumped? She was roaming the neighborhood and getting handouts and mostly hung out near me and my neighbors house. One winter when I came home from work she was huddled up tight on a snow mound on top

of it near the foundation of my neighbors house, I jumped out of my car and whisked her up so fast and took her inside and put her in a spar bedroom (I had 4 other cats) and she had all the comforts in her owns room all winter......and  after that she was in the main house with the others. We had this sweet sweet cat for 2 years and I had to have her pts due to tummy cancer, and her last years were warm, happy and loving. Had I not taken her in she would not of had the 2 years and suffered in the end on her own. She was Blam Blam Blam Black Betty. I think she must of been around 14 or better when she passed. Here is my sweetie I miss her!