My boy is missing and I am horribly worried

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened to me the other day. My daughter called me at work. Apparently the cat had gotten out when she walked the dogs. She didn't notice and went online to do her schooling. When finished with lessons she went to look for him and couldn't find him. I came rushing home from work. He's not microchipped yet, as we'd only had him a week at that time. Also we live in apartments.

I've never had a cat before, so didn't know what to expect or do. Luckily, driving through the complex, I spotted him trying to climb to a second floor balcony where he could see cats in the window of another apartment. He came to his name and the shaking of his treat bag.

When I adopted him, i was told not to worry if he got out, that he'd come back, but I was a WRECK! All of the apartments look the same, and I know they rely on smell a lot, but I was still worried he'd get confused.

So glad you got your baby back. I'm working on training him with a lead because he wants to go out so badly. He looks so jealous when we walk the dogs. So far he hates the lead, and takes the harness off when we put. it on. Or he just lays down and stubbornly refuses to move.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We tried using a harness with our indoor cat a few years ago.  He hated it and would wiggle out of it each time.  That scared me too much.  I then bought a soft mesh like harness that goes over their head and snaps under the belly.  The leash hooks on the top.  It works so much better, is easier to put on and my cat likes it better too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only one I will use is the Kitty Holster.  It is made of cotton fabric with some velcro fastenings. And Sammi did the same thing laying down and refusing to move and now he gets really excited when it comes out because he knows it means he can go outside.  It is worth the effort to find this type of harness as if you get the right size and put it on according to directions, cats cannot get out of them or not get out without a lot of contortions and you can get to them to keep them safe before then.  Since Sammi got used to it though he has never tried to get out of it.

Last edited:

plushcookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mickey got out when I opened the door to admit a guest tonight.  He has not been gone long but I tried to follow him out to see if I could catch him.  I was not able to get near him.  He is microchipped and is fairly street wise as far as traffic goes but do cats usually return home when they get hungry?  I am hoping so.  Anyway I am getting ready to report him gone (so far the call is on hold) but doubt if he does not return soon there will be precious little sleep tonight.  Sammi is pacing and crying and while I am not pacing I certainly feel like crying.  He is a street smart little mite but still it is an awfully big world and he needs his home to stay safe in.  

Sorry if I am kind of blubbering all over you but feel that you all love cats too and you may understand.  I have never had one go missing before.

plushcookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry to hear that Mickey got out I wish you the best that he finds his way home!:)

chestersmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried using a harness with our indoor cat a few years ago.  He hated it and would wiggle out of it each time.  That scared me too much.  I then bought a soft mesh like harness that goes over their head and snaps under the belly.  The leash hooks on the top.  It works so much better, is easier to put on and my cat likes it better too.
This is the type I'm using too. He just hates it. He looks like a circus performer with the contortions he does trying to, and succeeding in, escaping it. I was thinking of returning it and trying the type that just straps around the shoulders. It looks less secure though, but I thought maybe he'd feel less restricted. I had to switch my younger dog from the mesh type to the strap type because he could slip out of the mesh.

After reading all of the info here, I think I'll try to stick with the mesh type for Chester and see if he'll get used to it. Any tips?

He wants to go out so badly, but I'm terrified I'll lose him.

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank  you Plushcookie, he is home and has had 2 more times of getting out since then.  He has gotten better at just walking a few feet and sitting and waiting to have me pick him up....the brat!  I am looking into getting a Kitty Holster for him too as he could not get out of it and I can trust it to work but will use a Puppy Tie Out cable for him instead of the nylon rope I use for Sammi.  Mickey chews it terribly and can get through the thing before I go across a room so the nylon is not appropriate for him.  

They do get used to harnesses if you stick to putting them on and giving them treats when it is done and let them wear them without a leash or any tether in the house.  Cats who will not wear a collar are the worst at this but if they get used to it being followed with a GOOD thing they do get to let you.  Sammi goes now and pulls the Kitty Holster out of his toy bag when he wants to go out and brings it to the door.  LOL  He usually goes out for about 3 minutes and then wants back in but it is a big treat so we do it.

I have another friend who has 3 cats and 2 have been harness trained.  She uses a small puppy harness and they do well.  So it is possible to get them to use any harness, just takes time and patience and the ability to put up with kitty shenanigans and contortions.  

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

if you could post a link of what you're talking about, i would GREATLY appreciate it

the weather is starting to get better around me...and i want to start taking my kitties out.

i know 1 of my cats will love it

the other one i'm not so sure...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats act like they are being tortured when you first put them on, put them on daily for a week in the house for an hour or so and they'll definitely get used to them. Especially when they learn it means they get to go outside. Mine would flop over on their side like they were paralyzed, shimmy, shake, and meow pitifully at me when I first started, but like all things it just takes time. Have you ever watched a cat when you put a collar on them? It's a lot like that. They act like you are beating them or something, but just let them get used to it in the house first, THEN put on a leash and let teh fun begin! Have you ever heard the term "it's like herding cats"? Well get ready 'cause trying to lead a cat isn't fun either, it's more like you going where the cat wants to go! Good luck, I know you will succeed!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Postscript to all this:

Mickey got out again today and was gone for most of the day.  I had made plans to go out with a friend and her husband this evening and was just called that they were almost at my home and I thought that I would try one last time before leaving to call Mickey.  I kept my voice very soft and non threatening and he came running from the bushes in the next building.  I gave him a big hug and told him that he had to stay in and quit worrying his mommy.

He is sound asleep now as is his brother.  They had a long evening at home alone and were fed and given clean water and treats and curled up with a contest to see who could get the closest to Mom.  

The end of what could have been another hard day in a good way.  

Any hints on how to discourage this type of behavior???
I had a cat that went outside on a lease. One day she wanted out and I started to put a harness on her and it wasn't long after that she knew when she got the harness on she was going outside. She was easy to train.  I learned from experience to only use a harness that goes around the body and neck.  Had some bad experiences with a neck collar. NO! rabbit harness either.  I had other cats that flopped and rolled around like a fish and I knew right then and there they weren't going to be able to go out on a lease. So I opened a window with a screen in it  and they sat there as happy as could be. I think they just liked the smell of the air. I'm not sure where you live but we had some hawks flying around so I would put my cat near our shed so she could go under it and be safe and then I would check every 10 minutes to see if she was OK. This might sound crazy but I would attach her leash to a brick and stick the brick right by the shed and the leash was long so she could go under the shed.  Hawks will take a small animal. Not to scare you but better to be safe. Actually this year we enclosed our porch so they have lots of windows to look out and get fresh air. 

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mickey is safe and sound at home.  I am thankfully not in a location where there are hawks and birds of prey but the Kitty Holster brand has a solution to that.  They put large "eyes" on the back of the vest of the harness and it makes birds think it is an animal they need to fear and so they will not attack the animal wearing it.  While I have not had to try it out, I think I see the wisdom in this.  The cats that I have both have done the flipping and throwing themselves about when they first wore the harness, but soon got to know that wearing it meant to get outside and now Sammi will pull it across the room out of the box it stays in to let me know he wants to go outside.

Thank you for the reply, it was very nice and you made some really good suggestions.