My Boy Had A Dental Cleaning Yesterday

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
:mad: He has been having annual cleanings since I got him 2 years ago (he's 8 yrs). He's now had 3 teeth pulled. Has bad gingivitis. He won't let me brush his teeth though. He's a scaredy cat, he panics easily. He didn't have much tarter on his teeth though, so it is more likely genetic than me not taking care of his teeth, I was told. poor baby! I do the best I can with him.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry and yes I think it is genetic. One of my cats has more issues with gingivitis and needing teeth pulled then my other cat. I remember when I got her as a tiny fluff ball kitten she already had bad breath. Her teeth have been stable the last few years, she is 14 now, but she doesn't have many teeth left.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a genetic component to overall dental health. And you can only do what your cat will allow you to do. I can sometimes get a look at Hek's teeth (which are pearly white and healthy, THANK GOODNESS), but if I tried to brush them, I would be lacking fingertips very quickly. Her vet and his techs are remarkably patient with my difficult pussycat! I know that they must dread cleanings and such. For a fact. LOL, last time we went in, the receptionist chirped, "Hekitty is her for her appointment and cleaning," and a wee voice from the back replied, "oh god..."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a genetic component to overall dental health. And you can only do what your cat will allow you to do. I can sometimes get a look at Hek's teeth (which are pearly white and healthy, THANK GOODNESS), but if I tried to brush them, I would be lacking fingertips very quickly. Her vet and his techs are remarkably patient with my difficult pussycat! I know that they must dread cleanings and such. For a fact. LOL, last time we went in, the receptionist chirped, "Hekitty is her for her appointment and cleaning," and a wee voice from the back replied, "oh god..."
:insertevillaugh::yess::flail:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, it gets worse. I've had to go to the ER more than once for stitches for various reasons, from "you HAVE to have a bath" to "you HAVE to have the flea drops" to "you REALLY MUST have your claws clipped!" I've quit attempting baths and claw clipping, but we still (very cautiously) do tackle the flea drop issue. She's not a tolerant gal, not one bit.

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, it gets worse. I've had to go to the ER more than once for stitches for various reasons, from "you HAVE to have a bath" to "you HAVE to have the flea drops" to "you REALLY MUST have your claws clipped!" I've quit attempting baths and claw clipping, but we still (very cautiously) do tackle the flea drop issue. She's not a tolerant gal, not one bit.
yeah, Bodie goes in to the groomer a few times a year. I don’t do baths or nails! I don’t clean ears or teeth. Occasionally, I manage a bit of eye cleaning, not too successful; and the Revolution drops, oh.my. It’s a battle!!!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Threads like this never fail to have me giggling. Both Atticus and Thirteen would sit patiently by while I did any number of unpleasant things to them and never bat a kitty eyelash. I clean their ears and brush their teeth daily. Claws are faithfully clipped once a week to every two weeks. I've had them since they were just hours old and they are totally complacent. I suppose they're that way because I never knew that they could be otherwise.

Last edited:

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably that’s the key right there! “Had them since they were hours old”... my guy was 6 and a little wild when I got him! Freaked out regularly for all kinds of things...let’s not even get started on trying to get him into a carrier to take him to the vet!!! :insertevillaugh: I’ve had to cancel appointments when I was already supposed to be there, after deciding that terrorizing him was worse than missing the appointment!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both Atticus and Thirteen would sit patiently by while I did any number of unpleasant things to them and never bat a kitty eyelash.
Pardon while I go sit in a corner and growl softly at you in sheer jealousy for a few minutes. I may even hiss once.

These types of things are much easier when started as tiny kittens.
LOL, I actually DID start Hekitty as a tiny kitten! She was dumped on me when she was 5 weeks old. Bottle-reared for a couple of weeks, then began slow weaning. Grooming was a very regular thing until the claws got long enough to require Emergency Room attention. Sometimes, the cat wins. And with her, MOST of the time, the cat wins!

walkingrock

Bodie's mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah, Bodie goes in to the groomer a few times a year. I don’t do baths or nails! I don’t clean ears or teeth. Occasionally, I manage a bit of eye cleaning, not too successful; and the Revolution drops, oh.my. It’s a battle!!!
And yesterday he got diarrhea on his tail and pantaloons...do you think I could clean that off? Well, of.course.not! I tried, unsuccessfully, and today was able to comb it out of his tail (dry), but haven’t made it to the pantaloons yet! I don’t even want to think about where it has been in the mean time

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:crackup::lol::lolup::lol2:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I usually sneak flea medicine on Rocket when she is asleep on my lap. Start rubbing right at the collar line then sneak in the flea medicine. She usually stirs slightly but as long as I wait until she is completely asleep we manage. If I try to do it other times I end up with a squealing fluff ball that somehow doubles her weight. She was feral until four months old and even though I was handling her constantly to socialize her the whole picking up and holding idea never took. She is a cuddle bug though and I rarely sit or lay down without her appearing to claim my lap or side. I wouldn’t even try to trim her nails; luckily she does that herself with logs and rocks outside.

Link on the other hand just huffs and will usually give us a good sixty seconds until he starts getting annoyed. I’ve had him since he was five weeks old and he tolerates most things. When he is sick he even will cooperate with medicine until he decides he is good enough to not need it anymore. Yes. Seriously. He takes his medicine perfectly until the symptoms get better then he starts fighting it.

To the dental, I had a cat when I was a kid that the shelter pulled all his baby teeth before we got him. His teeth were never right. By the time he was 8 he had just his fangs left. Which meant I got gooey rats and birds who were still very much alive most nights. Our other cat that was a year younger and same diet never had a cleaning in his life. Never brushed them. Nothing. The vet was always amazed at how good his teeth looked at his annual. Genetics.