My Boo Isn't Eating....gave Her Mirtazapine

Evelyn Lipps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. New to this site. Freaking out about my baby. About 3 weeks ago I noticed she wasn't eating..anything. She has always been finicky. I put down a can of wet food and also dry...everyday.... I work 3 to 11. When I come home I replace the wet food with something fresh..no matter how much shes eaten. She has always maintained a stable weight (doesnt like human food...not even tuna ). When I realized she wasn't eating ANYTHING..I took her to the vet....which I hate doing...because it stresses her out to the max....aggressive,etc.. He did tests and did an xray...GAv e me oral antibiotics for a higher white blood cell count (still within normal limits but on the higher end.) Had to take her back,because I couldn't get the full dose in...very stressful for her. They gave her fluids and am appetite stimulant (which I asked for and helped administer ). I took her home and was excited to see that she ate all of her wet food when I got home from work. Long story short...when I give her the Mirtazapine...she will eat well for a day or 2..but then she stops again. Now I have noticed that her breathing is very fast..She is an indoor cat
Used to be indoor /out door ...8 years ago..please give any advice..

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to the vet, now. The breathing fast has me very concerned something else is going on. I like cerenia better than mirt for appetite. How old is she? and what tests were done? Kidney and thyroid checked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evelyn Lipps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back to the vet, now. The breathing fast has me very concerned something else is going on. I like cerenia better than mirt for appetite. How old is she? and what tests were done? Kidney and
Back to the vet, now. The breathing fast has me very concerned something else is going on. I like cerenia better than mirt for appetite. How old is she? and what tests were done? Kidney and thyroid checked?
Hi. Her kidney/liver function were fine
She is almost 12 years old. I videotaped her breathing on my phone and took it to the vet today(don't want to cause her anymore stress than I have to). Unfortunately he wasn't there so I had to email it to them. I haven't heard back (they may have already been closed by the time it got sent...I had trouble) I'm calling tomorrow. I'm just keeping an eye on her...she's not panting...no open mouth breathing...I would rush her to the emergency vet! I'm just concerned and not trying to be overly paranoid. I know she's a senior now...but I just expected her to slow down gradually..and this has been pretty sudden. Since this started...she just isn't herself..she's not completely lethargic,but she doesn't play...get in her window perch...no interest in the laser pointer...she doesn't even swat at my feet...I never really paid attention to her breathing before..so now I'm like...did she always do that...and I never noticed? Like I said I'm calling first thing tomorrow. Her respiratory rate is around 50 (if I'm doing it right). I was hoping the antibiotic injection would kick in and she would return to normal....why do you like the cerenia? I don't like having to give her a pill at all..I was afraid of the side effects..which is why I didn't really think about her breathing...I know it really stresses her out when I have to give it to her. She just seems so tired..haggard looking almost. I feel like her coat looks so gray since all of this started.
thyroid checked?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are masters at hiding pain and sickness. Often the only signs you'll see that something is wrong is little things that are off. Not eating, or nausea, is a major sign something is off. I think she should go back to the vet for further workup. I get that you don't want to stress her out, but sometimes that's our only choice when they're ill. Make sure they run or ran a T4 to check her thyroid. Cerenia doesn't have the side effects that mirt has.

sarahsmith455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. New to this site. Freaking out about my baby. About 3 weeks ago I noticed she wasn't eating..anything. She has always been finicky. I put down a can of wet food and also dry...everyday.... I work 3 to 11. When I come home I replace the wet food with something fresh..no matter how much shes eaten. She has always maintained a stable weight (doesnt like human food...not even tuna ). When I realized she wasn't eating ANYTHING..I took her to the vet....which I hate doing...because it stresses her out to the max....aggressive,etc.. He did tests and did an xray...GAv e me oral antibiotics for a higher white blood cell count (still within normal limits but on the higher end.) Had to take her back,because I couldn't get the full dose in...very stressful for her. They gave her fluids and am appetite stimulant (which I asked for and helped administer ). I took her home and was excited to see that she ate all of her wet food when I got home from work. Long story short...when I give her the Mirtazapine...she will eat well for a day or 2..but then she stops again. Now I have noticed that her breathing is very fast..She is an indoor cat
Our cat was diagnosed with Lymphoma and was initially prescribed Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine along with Prednisolone. He was very lethargic after being given the medication, but had also been very sick before we started him on the meds, so we didn't know if it was the cancer or the medication. After being given the medication he stopped eating all together, was drooling a ton and was seemingly on his last leg and we were getting ready to put him down. We weren't giving up all together though and even though our vet said most cats do well on Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine, he listened to us and switched our cat to a new appetite stimulant Entyce that is very new and has an off label use for cats. We also started giving him 1/2 a dose of Pepcid AC instead of the anti-nausea Cerenia. Within a day he started acting normal and eating again. We also played around with the times we gave him his medication and we are currently giving him the Entcye in the morning and the Prednisolone along with the Pepcid in the evening after his last meal. He mostly was throwing up at night, so the Pepcid is helping the with that and we haven't seen him throw up since starting him on it. We are also giving him chemotherapy as well and we don't know the end result of all this, but he is so much happier and acting like his old self and hanging with us, cuddling and begging for treats. I just wanted to share with anyone out there going through Lymphoma with their cat another option that your vet may or may not be offering to you.

coolbum82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find out what was wrong? My cat has been through the same thing as yours and I'm not sure what to do next.
Although the M

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C coolbum82 the original poster hasn't been active since 2017 I doubt it is likely that you will be able to get a response from them.
If you would like to post a thread of your own explaining everything and asking for others experiences and/or any advice