My Blue Eyed Cat Could Be Losing His Vision

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise

Here this past couple months Bubz has been skittish when I walk up to him but only when I talk to him he comes out of hiding and embraces me. Is he going blind??? Advice before I take him to vet would be beneficial for him he can't do car rides and he gets so stressed and scared around new people. Even though I know it's inevitable :angrycat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sure sounds like a vision issue, but can't say that with any level of experience related to it.

As far as getting him to the vet, have you ever tried any calming products on him, such as Feliway or Bach Rescue Remedy (drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help calm them - used a lot for vet trips). There are a ton of other calming products on the market, so you might have to experiment with a few, as not all work on all cats. You can do an internet search on 'cat calming products' to see which ones you might be interested in.

Also, you can always ask the vet if you could pick up ahead of time a very small dose of Gabapentin to just slightly sedate him before you take him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like its definitely worth a shot but I was looking up the health issues of.blue eyes and it said there hearing is what gets impaired....and it's predominantly all white cats, maybe hopefully he's alright I just need to keep better eye on him.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if blue eyed cats are prone to vision problems? Theo at times gives me the impression that he does not see that well, He will lose a toy on the floor when it stops moving. He is young now so I hope I am wrong.

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Bubz' issue, he does have allergies and his eyes get irritated from time to time

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this is why it bothers me a bit....he is only 9 months old.
I am not aware that a kitten can see any better than an adult cat. When, I mentioned age, it might actually be the opposite, if no other reason than they haven't quite learned the limitations of what they can see and when/how. But, if it is bothering you, you should ask the vet about it.

Same for ZaMM ZaMM , about asking the vet, re:

Sounds like Bubz' issue, he does have allergies and his eyes get irritated from time to time

ZaMM

Always land on my feet!
Young Cat
Purraise

Bubber boy says tank youuu!!! :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: any & all advice is greatly appreciated!
:rock:
Actually you can see the rawness of his left eye. The left side gets red and watery sometimes but he hasn't had full on gunk yet but I do take a warm rag and clean around his eyes for him, he really is a sweet sensitive boy who loves attention!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pointed cats are not actually blue eyed in terms of their genetics and what they will pass on to off spring. The blue is from a lack of pigment caused by the heat sensitive albino like genetics that also impacts their coloring. Technically all blue eyed pointed cats are really masking a yellow or green eye with the pointed gene. Pointed cats are no more prone to blindness or deafness then any other cat (even solid white blue eyed cats are only slightly more inclined to deafness then the general population when you really get into it). They are more prone to being cross eyed because the pathways between their eyes and brain don't align properly. With the cross eye being a self to fix the alignment to see correctly.

That doesn't mean he can't have a vision problem and shouldn't be looked at. All cats have bad vision close up and his might be worse then average from a distance. His hearing could also be off making it so he isn't hearing you coming and thereby startled. Seeing the vet is a good idea to make sure everything is good.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually you can see the rawness of his left eye. The left side gets red and watery sometimes but he hasn't had full on gunk yet but I do take a warm rag and clean around his eyes for him, he really is a sweet sensitive boy who loves attention!
Such a cutie (sorry, that applies to guys as well as gals, in my book)! It looks like either an allergy or even a possible infection issue in Bubz. When there is gunk build up, what color is it? How old is Bubz? Maybe conjunctivitis?

Good that you clean it - one of the best things to do - warm water and a cloth. But, if you haven't discussed it with a vet, you probably ought to. Eye infections can cause their own set of problems.

Here is an article this is likely more appropriate than the previous ones.

Cat Eye Discharge and Eye Problems

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Such a cutie (sorry, that applies to guys as well as gals, in my book)! It looks like either an allergy or even a possible infection issue in Bubz. When there is gunk build up, what color is it? How old is Bubz? Maybe conjunctivitis?

Good that you clean it - one of the best things to do - warm water and a cloth. But, if you haven't discussed it with a vet, you probably ought to. Eye infections can cause their own set of problems.

Here is an article this is likely more appropriate than the previous ones.

Cat Eye Discharge and Eye Problems
good information! I use cotton rounds dampened with water to clean his eyes. I am glad to see I am doing things right. :)
As it states, I use a clean cotton round, one for each eye. I also am using "Angel's Eyes" wipes. I use them after the water dampened rounds and then take a dry tissue and dry the area. I have read that it important to keep the area dry.