My Blind Cat Likes Attacking My Wife's Legs.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little blind male about 15 months old waits for my wife to walk by and then attacks her lower leg. Sinks his claws in and hangs on as she screams. He likes to bite and tried to bite my arm but he realized I am bigger than him. Here is the problem. The cat has not been neutered because the vets cannot find anything dangling to neuter.

The cat was feral for the first three months of his life living in Cuba. Some kind soul realized he would get in trouble because of his blindness and put him in a sanctuary where stayed for 9 months before coming here. They advertised him on a web site away from Cuba as they know his handicap would cause him to be euthanized.

He is the sweetest and most handsome little guy and I love him dearly. But wish he could stop that biting habit. BTW I bought a small water pistol which may work but it means carrying it around all day.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor little darling. I wonder why he is doing this? I wish I could help, but can't think of any solution. The water squirter works wonders IMO, but, as you say, you can't carry it around all day.

Last edited:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He reminds me of Rascal when he was young. Attacking and biting me was Rascal's way of showing his affection 
 Neutering helped a bit.

Are you sure he can't be neutered? Vets are able to spay females after all, who don't have bits dangling...

What you can do

1. have your wife play with him. A lot. So he would get exhausted. Use a wrestle buddy, or stuffed animal, something he can sink his teeth into. He is full of energy and doesn't know where to put it!

2. try calming him down with Feliway, calming treats, colostrum, whatever works.

3. try clicker training him. This is rewarding good behaviour (i.e., not biting) with a click followed by a treat.

4. Have you thought about adopting a playmate? One that can handle getting wrestled once in a while

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say poor little darling I guess you are referring to his blindness. Don't feel bad for him as he is more active than any cat I have owned. Runs around the house and almost never hits a wall or door. He chases  (

and catches flies) and I have to hide his toys at night so I can sleep in peace!

Seems there are a lot of orange cats in Cuba.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think he is gorgeous too! Sent you a PM regarding his story.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The little guy gets plenty of exercise but seems to tire me out first. Because he is fond of biting my wife's legs she stays away from him.

We have another cat - a 13 year old female - which we got a few days before Rey came into our lives. BTW he was given up by the people who adopted him the day after he arrived from Cuba. Another story. But the old cat hates other cats and stays away from Rey.

As to the neutering two vets have decided that unless we get an x-ray there is no way the can find anything to clip. Then its a shot in the dark. But can we afford $400 plus 12% tax for a shot in the dark.

Incidentally one of those vets suggested (insisted?) that she sew his eye lids together so he does not get infection. Her estimate was $3000. Of course we said no way and not because of the cost. But his lids open and close and I am certain he can see light and dark. We do have to clean his eyes twice daily as he seems to ignore that area.

As to owning a blind cat all I can say is go for it. People who visit us do not believe he is blind and at times nor do we. When he arrived I showed him the litter box and food tray and he has not missed them yet. Initially he walked around hugging the walls but now he runs all over the place. of course if I move furniture it would affect him.

He is a real gem.

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
t her legs. He has bitten my forearm and this whole exercise on his part is when he is mainly hungry. Even when she is preparing his food he bites.