My blind cat is bored

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a beautiful, wonderful, perfect cat, Muzak. He will be 22 in January, and has recently gone almost completely blind; I think he can see a little light/dark. He hasn't played or run around in a year; he has mild arthritis but the vet says he's not in pain, just aches. He has a pressure-activated cat heating pad that he's glued to; since he went blind he never leaves it except for food and the litter box. I don't blame him, I'd do the same thing. But is there anything I can do to entertain him, or give him a reason to walk around some? He does come on my lap a little still, but when I have to get up, he's pretty upset, so his visits are getting much fewer. He also lost his sense of smell a year ago, so he doesn't respond to catnip, or even chicken. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite it all, it is wonderful he has made it to the grand age of 22! Enrichment is really hard when they get older. Maybe remembering to scoop him up a few times a day, take him for a walk on your shoulder and then on to your lap where you can try hand feeding him some treats like an Inaba churro.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think Muzak is entitled to just hang out if that is all he wants to do given his age! If he really can see a little, try to ensure all rooms have night lights, especially when it is dark out, as that might help a bit with him being more comfortable to roam about a little. If he is coming to sit with you less, then you can make the effort to go get him and plan out some time so that he can sit on your lap for a bit without being moved. You can try to set up a routine whereby you give him treats a little bit before you are going to get up, so he sees an established pattern and may be more accepting of you taking him off your lap to get up. Being with you is probably the best form of entertainment for him!!

I would also consider giving him an arthritis supplement if he is not already taking one. It should help a bit with the achiness and might make him a bit more mobile. Cosequin or Dasuquin seem to be the predominant supplements, but there are others on the market as well.

You might try some cat music to see if he would enjoy listening to it, just as a distraction from the normal daily noises he hears. David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. You could even try some of your own 'softer' music so the both of you can enjoy it together.