My black cat (with her black fur boyfriend) had tabbys!!

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat maggy had her first litter of 5
4 are mixed colour grey tabby
and just 1 full black

how is this even possible?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The solid gene is recessive so technically it shouldn't be possible for 2 recessives to make dominants. Is there any possibility she was exposed to another male?

And we need pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, our 9 month old Maggy had an accidental litter of 5
soon as she recovers she will be getting spayed end of

She gave birth to a beautiful bunch of kittens on saturday
so we are now thursday 5 days later

She isnt panting, or trying to push out more kittens anymore
apart from the odd trill or meow, she isnt any more or less vocal than she normally was

She eats - only at specific times
But-------- in general, if i want to wave around a stick for her to play with, she doesnt seem interested

And she`s constantly purring 24/7 when shes feeding

Is this normal? is she just shattered?

Theres nothing that screams out that she isnt well, but i just miss my Maggy that runs around to play with the stick every time i throw it on the floor

Thanks for reading this

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank Gd they are doing very well
the mother is just very tired which im guessing is normal having only given birth 5 days ago? :)

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure! theyre still very young so i dont want to pick them up more than neccesary but here is one who looks like a tiger :)
the next pic shows them all being fed by mum who is exhausted
as you can see they are multi coloured
btw - question she feels a bit cool temperature wise, not cold, but not as usual very warm as youd excpect
is this correct
light(1).jpg

feed(1).jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a nine-month-old she's been through a lot. She's most likely not playing because she is too exhausted from the kittens and doesn't want to leave them. If she stops eating or using the litter box definitely bring her in, or if she stops nursing the kittens and hides. Did you mean she is feeding herself or the kittens? Purring while feeding the kittens is normal, she's comforting them and letting them know she is near, (vibrations) newborns are blind and deaf. If it's while she is eating, it could be because she is so happy and content. But watch her, and make sure she is getting all the food and water she wants, offer kitten food, it is higher in nutrition and calories. Nursing mothers are using a LOT of energy and need extra nutrition. please send photos if you can! We all LOVE kittens!

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She just had 5 babies, she's exhausted. It's not unusual for a mother cat to stay with her kittens most of the time. Newborn kittens require a lot of care. She has to keep them clean, warm and fed. She'll play more again when they're older. Make sure she has plenty to eat and drink and a quiet place for her nest.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an adorable family! :cloud9:

Please consider getting your adult cats spayed/neutered. Mama can get pregnant again rather quickly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mother cats tend to stay very close to their kittens. Nursing is hard work, so make sure she has plenty of her favorite wet food, with dry food and water always available too.

She needs extra calcium now, so buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula (Walmart carries it) and give her a dish a day to drink. This will help her out. :)

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
fortunately growing up we had kittens and i know
momma cat will be starving so i make sure she has lots of food and drink!
im furloughed from work at the moment so ive got extra time to watch and make sure they are safe
if i notice a kitten repeatedly not getting `the nipple` or that needs extra assistance, i step in and make sure she is okay
thank you for all your kind words

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an adorable family! :cloud9:

Please consider getting your adult cats spayed/neutered. Mama can get pregnant again rather quickly.
i know
she was out earlier meowing for every tom cat in the area to hear her
i brought her back in

shes getting fixed soon as the kittens are weaned, and then given to family members - i know the earliest is about 7/8 weeks, but im waiting untill 9 or 10 weeks so i know they are completly weaned and independant
decided to go down the route of giving them to people i know and trust, as appose to making a quick buck and selling them and having no idea if they will be safe

cihanthepanda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your kind remarks
today shes been a lot more active, even climbed out into the garden at one point
her belly is warm its just her back feels cooler
shes eating
also heres a pic of her with one of the kittens :)
light(1).jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thank Gd they are doing very well
the mother is just very tired which im guessing is normal having only given birth 5 days ago? :)
Its normal, but if she is visibly very tired this may be potentially alarming. So keep a close watch, and make sure she has it as well you can make it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure! theyre still very young so i dont want to pick them up more than neccesary but here is one who looks like a tiger :)
the next pic shows them all being fed by mum who is exhausted
as you can see they are multi coloured
btw - question she feels a bit cool temperature wise, not cold, but not as usual very warm as youd excpect
is this correct
View attachment 344153

View attachment 344154
Kittens very visibly tabbies, but yet, the coloration is somewhat unusual. I dont know what is going on, but something is it.

So its probable the black daddy got help from somewhere. Possibly even a purebred on a short visit to the neighborhood.

I cant resist retelling a joke.

It was this arrogant and not very popular leutenant, son to the senator, exercising soldiers in his company where he was one of the officers. He notices one of them is very alike him just somewhat younger, yes, everyone seems to look at them, so he shouts: 37 Smith. tell me, was your mother working as a maid or household help at the senators house a 18 years ago?
Whereafter private 37 Smiths shouts back. No sir, my mother has never been at the senators house. But my father worked there as mechanic, driver and assisting bodyguard about 25 years ago! Sir!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its normal she isnt wanting to play now. She hasnt no time for this, having the babies and being full of motherhood hormones.

Dont let her out, they can get in heat anew literally days after delivery. Cats are NOT protected at all by nursing.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the above post as fact, don't let her outside. I had a cat that had kittens only about 70 some days apart, which meant she got pregnant in that first week after giving birth. She was nursing newborns and had 2 and a half-month-old babies. She nursed them all! I had to keep the older ones busy so the little ones could eat! She was an outside stray and trap smart, she ended up having three litters in one year and 17 kittens before I captured her. She finally trusted me. I still have her to this day and two of her kittens.