My Black Cat Has White Eyes - Maine Coon?

blackberryelf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! I'm not sure if this is the right subject to post this on, but I am new here. We rescued Jenny Linsky from the local humane society and we think she is part Maine Coon because she is kind of medium haired and weighs 19 pounds. She is also SO adorable.
Anyways, she has white eyes that can appear a sort of lime-green in certain lights and I wanted to know if anyone knows of any other white eyed cats. And also if anyone can tell if she is Maine Coon or any other breed? Just curious. :)
IMG-0018 (1).JPG
IMG-0008.JPG
e68aa400-6d48-4bee-9011-88b12a7749a2.JPG
IMG-8731.JPG
IMG-0025.JPG
36188552_661221404224659_4305631570946949120_n.jpg
16b8e500-9c84-46ec-84e3-90bbfb9124f1.JPG
IMG-0016.JPG

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great name to choose for your cat -- I love the Jenny Linsky books :)

I would describe your girl as a black domestic shorthair. Small white spots on the chest and/or belly are normal in solid colored cats. She is very impressive!

Genetically, cats are either longhair or shorthair; you can tell that she is a shorthair by looking at her tail. I would describe her eyes as pale green. It's a normal color for cats.

Most cats are not any particular breed, and it's most likely that your cat is simply a domestic shorthair. However, it's possible that she has some Maine Coon ancestry, given her prominent muzzle, strong chin, and large size (although I think she might be less than 19 lbs if she were leaner :) ) Coat length is not very significant in determining Maine Coon ancestry, because long hair is a recessive trait; a cat that is half Maine Coon (or less than half) is just as likely to be shorthaired as it is to be longhaired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackberryelf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I love that you get the Jenny Linsky reference!!! Your information was very educational. We are thinking of getting her DNA tested to see her ancestry for sure.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetic testing probably won't give you an answer "for sure." Most cats are not mixtures of breeds, so genetic breed testing for cats doesn't work the same way as it does for dogs.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no breed expert but just wanna say, Wow!
Gorgeous cat you got there! I loooovvvee black cats! She is a beauty to behold.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't really see anything that would indicate Maine Coon to me, some cats are just big. My cat Mittens for example is 16 pounds, and solid muscle not fat and he is just a big domestic short hair.

The DNA tests available for cats right now only tell you what breeds your cat is similar to at best (not what they actually are) and what area the cat's ancestry is from (Europe, middle east, or Asia). They can be useful to know more about the health of your cat though. You can see if it's genetically predisposed to any illnesses and stuff like that.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amazing eyes but not a main coon.
Super beautiful tho. Just wanted to tell ya.