My Best Friend, Sam.

samstehpen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Sam

\tI remember playing with our friends Siamese cat, Jessie, when we would visit. I grew to enjoy Jessie more each time we would visit. She was an old, gentle, well-behaved cat that really appreciated attention. Jessie was an important member of Arnoldâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s family because the middle-aged couple had no children. I grew to enjoy Jessie so much that I decided to purchase our own Siamese cat. At first I was a little apprehensive about selecting a Siamese cat because our family always preferred dogs. Then I thought it over and decided it was well worth the chance after remembering how much I enjoyed Jessieâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s friendship and our time together.
\tI searched for a Siamese cat by looking at different magazines and publications. I located a breeder of Siamese cats in a small suburban town called Montvale. Montvale is approximately a 2-hour drive from our central New Jersey location. I called the cat breeder and planned the trip to select our Siamese cat. My sister and niece went along with me for the ride.
The breederâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name was Irene. Ireneâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s home was pleasant and neat. I remember Irene being very personable and friendly. She talked with us for a while and then introduced us downstairs to see the cats. I was amazed! There were dozens of beautiful cats! There were Seal Points, Chocolate Points and all white Lilac Points. The room was very clean and full of joy. There were gorgeous adults and many adorable Siamese kittens. I was in heaven! I remember the cats all being very friendly and gentle. You could tell Irene and her family spent quality time caring for the animals. It was difficult to decide what kitten to choose. All of them were so attractive and well mannered. I tried to select a female kitten, but none were available. Finally, I chose a chocolate-point male kitten. Irene assigned a temporary name to each kitten. My kittenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s temporary name was “Moose.†I decided to name my new kitten “Sam.†My grandfatherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name was “Sabatinoâ€, which is Italian for Sam. I thought this would be a good one-syllable name for our cat. Sam was almost all white as a kitten. His beautiful blue Siamese eyes were striking. I truly think Siamese cats have the most magnificent eyes of any creature including humans. Siamese cats impress me with their beauty. In my opinion the most beautiful is the classic Chocolate Point. They are mostly a light tan color with brown tail, legs and face.
I paid Irene $300 for Sam. We prepared to take Sam home and started off on our 2-hour journey. All of us got into the car and we placed Sam in a small cardboard box. I can still remember Sam crying all of the way home. It was a soft, short cry that you couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t ignore. My niece, Michele, consoled Sam while I drove the car. She picked up Sam and gave him a gentle pat of her hand. “Now, now Sam, Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be alrightâ€, said Michele. I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t wait to get my new family member home and get acquainted.
Sam was never any trouble growing up. One year after we purchased Sam our son, Stephen was born. Now I had everything I needed, a beautiful one-year-old Siamese cat and my pride and joy, Stephen. Sam grew very close to our son, Stephen. When Stephen was in his crib Sam would jump in and cuddle close by. Sam was always gentle with young Stephen and we were never concerned about the two of them snuggling together.
The years passed and Sam and Stephen grew up together. Sam was always a part of Stephenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s life. It seemed like both of them learned something new each day. Sam loved to play with a ball of paper. He would hit it with his paws and chase the ball across the room. Stephen would throw the paper ball and Sam would retrieve it to be thrown again and again. They could both play for hours when Sam was young.
One of the funniest moments was when Sam climbed atop my tall dresser and snatched a $100 bill from my organizer. Sam ran around the house and decided to release the bill behind the living room sofa. I couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t believe it! Another favorite play toy Sam enjoyed was the plastic strip that is removed from a gallon container of milk. Sam would hit the strip with his paws and return it to you so you could throw it again. The charade always ended the same way. Sam would eventually take the plastic milk top strip to the kitchen and hit it under the refrigerator. I would move the refrigerator out of its location to clean and find scores of plastic strips in the area. It was fun watching Sam as you opened a new gallon container of milk. He would sit and wait for you to throw the strip.
Anytime an open box or bag was nearby you knew Sam would be close by. He loved to leap into the box and take a look around. If a paper or plastic bag were left on the floor Sam would eagerly wonder inside and look around. If you wiggled your fingers against the outside of the bag he would jump toward them and try to nip them.
Sam always slept with me, until we purchased a small bed for him. The bed was shaped like a small teepee and had a small opening on one side. We kept Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s bed on the cedar chest at the foot of our bed. The inside of the bed was soft and Sam grew to appreciate the warmth inside the private space. If you placed your intruding fingers inside sometimes Sam would give you a gentle nip warning you that this was his territory. It was a playful kind of nip that never really hurt. Each night Sam would curl up with me for about one or two hours, then heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d visit my mother for a time. After visiting mother for about thirty minutes to an hour Sam would then retire to his own bed.
I remember the times when one of us was sick. It would always be comforting to have Sam cuddle tightly against your side or near your arm. He just made you feel better by being there. It was Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s unconditional love that just made you feel better. He asked nothing from you, but your presence. He was like a tranquilizer to me. Whenever he cuddled with me the worries and stress of the day simply vanished. My mother and I were always the closest to Sam. When Stephen was very young he was active and didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t concentrate on Sam as much. As Stephen neared ten years old he seemed to appreciate Sam and paid more attention to our pet. Stephen and Sam became especially close as Stephen become eleven years old and Sam was twelve.
Sam would greet me every day when Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d come home from work. Sam definitely new his name and would almost always come when you called him. He would leave his warm bed at about 4:00PM and say hello to my mother in the Family Room. He would cuddle on her lap and then jump to the sofa to greet me. Sam would raise his back and his body language would request you pet him. I would proceed upstairs to get changed and Sam would race me up the steps. Then, he would spring onto our bed and want to play. He would follow us around the house like a shadow. You could always feel him nearby.
Sam was like a clock. You would always know when it was mealtime. In the morning he would greet me at about 6:00AM. Sometimes he would awake you with a lick from his rough, sandpaper like tongue. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d say hello and then follow me into the bathroom. He would sit atop the toilet seat cover and watch me shower and shave. Then, once I dressed heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d follow me downstairs and sound his typical raspy ‘meowâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji], which was his way of asking for breakfast. When I would leave in the morning sometimes Sam would sit in the full view glass front door and watch me depart. He was truly special.
Anytime you were fixing or working on something Sam would appear. He would come up to you as if to say, “What are you doing?†It was a classic case of curiosity and the cat. Walking around the house I always found myself looking down at my feet periodically to see if Sam was near. If I worked on repairing frustrating miniature Christmas lights he would jump on the workbench to see what I was doing. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d always stop and take time to fuss over him and give him a scratch and petting session.
Sam never left our comfortable home, so his coat was always clean and soft like silk. I liked to sit and watch him groom himself in a warm sunny place. He would reach every area of his body. Sam would lick his paws to reach areas around his face. His movements were precise and gentle. During one warm and dry summer I saw a small speck on his tan fur coat. What was this small-black thing? It jumped and I tried to catch it. Somehow Sam had a flea in his fur. I want to the store and purchased a quality flea shampoo and gave Sam a careful bath in the solution. Once his fur was wet I observed the flea jump from his fur. I was able to grasp the flea and flushed him down the drain. Sam was always a joy to handle. Even in the tub of water he was calm and behaved.
One of Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s favorite playthings was a ready-made bow for attaching to gift-wrapped presents. Christmas time was special with Sam. He would inspect every present and take the liberty of removing the nice bow from a present carefully wrapped by my wife. Boy, this made Denise mad at first. Then she started to actually enjoy watching him play with the bows. Denise would provide bows to Sam to toss and play with. It was entertaining having Sam toss the bow around and then deliver it to you from his delicate mouth. I would throw the bow and he would scurry after it and toss it about. I will sorely miss Sam at Christmas time. Sam would investigate the presents and parade through the ripped gift-wrap discarded on the floor.
The only mischief I recall from Sam were the few times he would get into the garbage container. If we had chicken for dinner he would sit nearby and wait for a chunk of meat to come his way. After we would retire for bed he would knock over the garbage container to dislodge the lid. If you caught him with a piece of chicken bone he would make a wild dash for the corner of the kitchen under the built-in bench seat. He would hide in the corner of the seating arrangement until you relented. Access to this area was easy for Sam, but difficult for us to reach. We would find old, clean bones in this area when we inspected it periodically.
When Sam was about ten years old we really experienced some excitement one night. “Daddy, Daddy come up here!†yelled Stephen. “Help, help, Sam is behind the wall in the bathroom!†When the builder constructed our home he cut out a large opening in the back of each vanity sink cabinet in all of the bathrooms. This provided access to the plumbing and resulted in a long narrow, deep path between the walls. Sam had opened the cabinet door and wandered into the open area behind the bathroom wall. Stephen was crying and very upset. I also started to get excited and thoughts of the firemen knocking down my walls to rescue Sam entered my mind. “Sam, here kitty-kitty. Come here Sam,†I said as I begged him to exit the dark and narrow pathway. Boy, I really thought this was trouble. Finally, I thought of shaking Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s dry food container and he slowly appeared from behind the vanity cabinet. I cut boards and sealed this area behind each vanity the very next day!
Sam liked to follow you around the house, especially in the kitchen. One of his favorite stunts was to open the corner cabinet door and climb inside. Once inside he would go to the back of the large cabinet and tease you to reach him. If you ignored him he would eventually come out.
Every time we would go away on vacation Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d dread leaving my best friend, Sam. We would have our friends feed and watch over Sam while we were away. When we would return home Sam would come downstairs and give us his famous howling greeting. One thing I never tired of was the beautiful sounds Sam could make. From his raspy meow greeting to his louder howls, he was always a joy to hear.
We recently went on vacation to Cape Cod, Massachusetts during the summer of 2001. We returned just before July 4th and everyone was happy to see Sam again. Little was I to know; Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d never forget this vacation. A few weeks before we left on vacation Sam started to be finicky and was only eating certain food. I switched foods because he seemed to prefer dry crunchy cat food. Then he stopped eating altogether. I made an appointment to take him to our favorite cattery so the veterinarian could check him out. I have to stop writing this story now. The emotion overcomes me when I reach this point of the tale.
I had an appointment to see our veterinarian on July 20, 2001. Mom, Stephen and I brought Sam to the vet. I had been delaying this moment because I was worried what I might hear. We placed Sam in his carrier with a small, soft blanket and got in the car. Sam was fairly quiet and gave an occasional meow. Stephen and Mom comforted Sam by reaching in the carrier to pet him. “Now, now Sam. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be aright,†Stephen said. I could tell Stephen was doing all he could to hold back the tears. It was very had for all of us. We arrived at the cattery and went inside.
The vet was very polite and kind. She asked about Sam and told us she would like to take a sample of Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s blood for testing. She also mentioned Sam appeared to be dehydrated. She demonstrated this by gentling squeezing Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s fur on his back and showed us how it tended to stay folded even after releasing it. Sam was drinking water, but when I checked the litter box he showed almost no signs of eating or drinking.
The vet explained that it is common for Siamese cats to experience problems at Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s mature age of 13 and a half. She mentioned the results of the blood test would be available from the laboratory tomorrow at 9:30 AM. She was blunt and expected the test results to confirm her suspicion of kidney disease. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how I held myself together at that point. I just felt I had to be strong in front of my twelve-year-old son, Stephen. Stephen and Sam had literally grown up together with Sam being one year older. Sam was always there for Stephen and they had really gotten to be close over the last three years or so. None of us had expected this day to arrive for another few years at least. I made plans to put Sam down and also arranged for the cremation. I wanted to make these arrangements now because I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to discuss the technicalities when I brought my best friend in the next day. I figured, if the lab results were good Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d merely cancel the arrangements.
We drove back home with Sam and all of us fussed over him all day and night. I took as many photographs of Sam as possible. Then, I took a video of him playing with Stephen. Sam didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t act as if he were ill. I filmed him crawling into a plastic shopping bag. He rustled the bag when I wiggled my fingers against the plastic. Even while he was sick Sam seemed like he just wanted to please us. The only time Sam showed he was ill was when he tried to jump atop our cedar chest. I spent every waking hour with my friend. I had this sickening feeling about the news Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d receive on Saturday. My stomach hurt beyond belief. I have to stop typing this part of the story every so often to gather myself. This is the worst feeling Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had since the death of my father.
That Friday night I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sleep well at all. Sam curled inside my underarm as a lie down in bed. It felt so good to have him near. I had the sinking feeling it would be the last time his beautiful soft body would be nestled near me. It was painful to think Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d never see him again. Sam awoke and wanted to go downstairs. I carried him and thought he had to use his litter box. I placed him near the box opening and he gently climbed inside. When he exited I placed him in my arms and brought him back upstairs to go to bed.
It was Saturday. The day I dreaded more than anything. All of us spent as much time with Sam as possible. I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t leave my friend for a moment. I did not look forward to the call from the veterinarian, which I expected at 9:30 in the morning. The phone rang and my stomach dropped. Much to my dismay, the call went like I expected. The veterinarian explained a healthy kidney usually is associated with a lab test number of two or so on the scale. Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s kidneys showed a reading of fifteen on the test, which meant his kidneys stopped working altogether. I told the vet I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t surprised and that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d see her at 2:30 PM with Sam. God I hated the thought of bringing Sam to the vet. Somehow it felt as if I were killing him, even though I knew this was the right thing to do.
I spent almost every minute with Sam that terrible Saturday. I kept hoping time would stand still. I dreaded seeing the clock strike 2:30. How could I bring my dear friend to the vet to be put to sleep? Finally the time had come. I decided to hold my friend while Denise drove the car. Mom and Stephen sat in the back seat. I was only a fifteen-minute ride to the veterinarian. Sam was unsettled in the car. We always placed Sam inside the carrier when taking him in the car. I just wanted to hold him this very last time.
We arrived at the office and waited for five or ten minutes. This was about the worst experience Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve lived through. The staff greeted Mom, Stephen and me and lead us to a room. A stainless steel table was inside the room and a bench was positioned nearby. I continued to hold and caress my Sam all of the while. I kissed and hugged him and said goodbye. Even now when it has been more than four weeks later I am upset thinking about this moment. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll have to stop writing and continue the story again later. The staff explained they would give Sam an injection to send him into a deep sleep. Then, they would inject a drug to stop Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s heart. I held Sam during the first injection. He was relaxed and entered into a deep sleep. Stephen and Mom wept and we all hugged Sam. I held my dearest fried in my right arm and felt his tongue against my forearm. Then the staff injected Sam with the remaining drug. It took about a minute or two and Samâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s heart stopped beating. He was gone. I felt terrible leaving my friend at the veterinarianâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s office. We all left the office and drove home.
My home feels like it will never be the same. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m in the habit of leaving the doors open in the house. I expect Sam to jump against one and enter the room. Even when I finish mixing a serving of tuna I feel compelled to put the dish on the floor and let Sam carefully lick the bowel clean. Whenever I see a bright ray of sunlight hitting a spot on the carpet floor or on one of our beds I think of Sam. He loved to curl up and bask in the warm sunlight. Picturing him peacefully soaking in the sunâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s warmth makes me feel good inside. When I come home from work I miss him waiting for me at the door. When we return home from shopping or a long drive I expect to hear Sam inside the Family Room. He would always hear the car pull up and greet us with a vocal hello. It will never be the same. Sometimes I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t believe that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m feeling this intense, especially when itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s been more than a month since his passing. Right now I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine having another pet. Sam was so special the family and I feel he canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be replaced or equaled. Sometimes Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m embarrassed to be a big strong guy with such feelings, but I just canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t help it. I know this feeling will dull with time, but I miss that little talkative fur-ball very much. I loaded an image of Sam basking in the sunlight on my computer desktop. God, the image is so real I can almost touch him. I still canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t decide if the image makes me happy or sad. When I take a long look it brings a tear to my eye.

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for the loss of your little Sam. But you have to realize it was for the best, and he's doing better now. I know that it's one thing to say something like this and another to live through it, but everything heals with time. It's so great that you were able to take so many pictures and even a photo of when he was feeing better so you can remember all the wonderful times together! I know it will be hard to watch them in the beginning, but soon you will watch them and laugh and be happy like you were before.
Even though we've never really talked, you are in my thoughts *hug*

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to tell you that your writing was the most wonderful tribute to your friend. I could picture all the scenerios as I read and have felt your pain nad your loss. May God bless you as you heal from this loss and comfort you. Sam would be proud of your writing.
He sounds like a wonderful friend and companion - not to be replaced.
Sam had the best gift of all on this earth - someone who loved him with all their heart - and that is you!

bodlover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am truly sorry for your loss......Sam has gone to a better place and he still loves you as much as you love him.... love and prayers are with you...

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story made me cry. Sam was a wonderful cat, I can guarantee you! Especially if you bought him from Irene. If she is from New Jersey then I know her. All of her cats are gorgeous! And I can just imagine what Sam looked like. I have always wanted a Siamese or an oriental from Irene (Jorene Cattery??). I see her all the time at cat shows and am very impressed by her breeds.

Sam was very lucky to have you in his life. It sound like he was very loved.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Donna

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am crying too... What a beautiful story of love... It's so awful to loose a friend... Your story of Sam reminded me so much of my own Cleo...

Try to be strong for your son... and think that you had the courage to make the right decision for Sam. All my thoughs go to you and your family.

Anne-Claire

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SamStephen,

I just spoke with Irene's daughter Frannie about you and Sam. When I told her Sam's temporary name was Moose, she remembered him immediately as Moose Man and said she also remembers him being born! She called her Mom to tell her of Sam and said she sends her condolences.

Donna

frannie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually don't visit this site because I cry all the time. I got a phone call today from my friend Donna who informed me of this story. I am Irene's daughter. I remember all of the cats and have lots of fun socializing them so they will be happy in their new homes. I always remember each one in their own way and when one of my mom's cat's cross the Bridge, I always cry. Sam was very special to you and to all of us. He had a wonderful life being with you and your family. I still have my first oriental shorthair that my mom gave me and he's 10 years old now. I have some of my mom's cats living with me and some of my own (I have abys). I no longer live on the eastcoast but my husband and I are moving back to be with friends and family. I treasure the times I get to spend with my mom's cats and have a ball playing with them. My husband met them for the first time five years ago and was amazed (he came from a family that never had pets) and also enjoys watching them play (along with ours). I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving Sam the best life he could have. It's wonderful to hear when one of our babies has had such a wonderful life. Please accept my condolances and thank you for giving him such a special place in your heart. I'm sorry that I couldn't read the whole story, but the tears were too much. I did speak to my mom to inform her of Sam's passing and she felt a little twinge in her heart to hear that he has now crossed the Bridge but is very happy that he lived such a great life. Now it's time to go light a candle in Sam's honor.

Frannie

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your story of Sam
with us. Sam
had a long and wonderful life, and your many happy memories of him will be with you forever. I know how you feel, my own cat, Midnight, was put to sleep on August 29th, and she was also cremated.

Take your time grieving for Sam

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us all! I've just added Sam's picture to your post.