My bengal is pregnant...by how many days??

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a picture of my girls belly, her nipples have come out and are really easy to feel, they are still pink though. I thought she was about 20 days but someone else has said between 30 and 40? Any one with more experiance have an opinion?

note her belly only looks like this when lay down, when she is upright it swells out at he sides but not underneath x x

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is with my male bengal everyday, we wanted them to be bonded as when the kittens have left they will still be in the house together as pets, so pressure was not on them to mate and this approach seems to have worked really quick! x x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The tits do redden at "three weeks".  The pregnancy is about 65-67 days, plus minus a couple.

The last two-three weeks you can usually feel the kittens move.

Otherwise it is not easy, if you dont know exactly when they mated.

IF you go to the vet for exam.  Dont use x-rays if it is not medically necessary.

Palpation or ultra sound is safer and in practice, as good.

So you have real purebred bengals, eh?  Paperworks pedigree and all too?

If so, you can probably also ask their breeders, if you wish.

Have you any planes on more litters, ie some sort of breeding, or it was mostly a one time litter and thereafter you plan to spay?

I see you do call them for pets, but for example here in Sweden, even most breeders do have their breeding cats as family members and pets...

Although bengal studs have some reputation for spraying, so I suspect you dont want him to be unneutered after he is 10-12 months...

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi yes they are full pedigree, TICA registered, full papers, wont say how much i payed for them but they are worth every penny, never owned a cat quite like this breed :) iv emailed their breeder but she takes a while to get back as she is always very busy!

i will be going for a vet examine this week anyways, and paying for an ultrasound, possibly 1 now and one near the end of pregnancy. We want to see how successful this pair are at breeding before we decide their fate. My male is not a sprayer, im fortunate, so as long as his behaviour stays as it is within the house then he can stay as a stud. My boy is also allowed to be shown and this is something we are planning to introduce him to this year, he is stunning but im biased! lol.

Iv raised a couple of litters before so im clear on gestation and care ect its just this early pregnancy bit is always difficult to distinguish!!

x x x

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also all kittens will be TICA pedigree registered before they leave ;) x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 My male is not a sprayer, im fortunate, so as long as his behaviour stays as it is within the house then he can stay as a stud. My boy is also allowed to be shown and this is something we are planning to introduce him to this year, he is stunning
He is of show quality. He is non sprayer, he seems to be gentle. If he also has a good genetical background - you can surely also let him met other females.  And you should, I think.

I mean, he  has at least two plusses of not everyday value: gentle male, and non spraying stud...

It is good to use him for at least several litters and females, not just one.

Using him on one female several times is genetically speaking reproducing the same combination several times, reproducing the same genetical individual...

It is stressing, but also a nice adventure to have questing ladies visiting him.

But this with non spraying is relative, and you must play it by ear.

Typical sprayers may begin to spray almost at once they are sexually mature, say 6 months.

Others began a little later, at perhaps 12 months.

Still others when they are fully grown, at perhaps 24 months, and this is way above averadge....

Very few do never spray, although 3+.

Then we have the occasional spraying, which almost everyone nonsprayer can have. For example of time of extra stress.

My two residents are russian blue boys, they were studs when younger.    :)

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yh im not interested in repoducing essentially the same litter over and over again, if they produce nice bengal patterns then i will maybe again after this time. I think maybe he doesnt spray because he is never sexually frustrated as Honey the female is always around??

I also discussed perhaps letting him mate with other females, but not ones owned by me as i dont want to own anymore cats apart from upbringing the kittens. Iv had a lot of bengal breeders beg me to take him to shows lol so im going to pluck up some courage and take him soon. Thanks for all your advice, this is Khaan the father of the litter when he was a baby so im hoping for kittens similar....

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are lucky is isn't spraying.  That might be because there are only the two of them around, or he isn't going to spray, or he's a late starter.  But without proper stud quarters you can't accept visiting queens - you can't bring a strange cat into the house without having problems, and it might also be what tips him into spraying.  Best in my view to get him neutered ASAP - you have the kittens you wanted.

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry how do you know how many litters i want or plan to have? lol. And they have their own seperate quarters and an outdoor enclosure already :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yh im not interested in repoducing essentially the same litter over and over again, if they produce nice bengal patterns then i will maybe again after this time
Sounds to me like you aren't that bothered about another litter. 

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yh i mean with THESE 2 cats and then went on to say about studding him with other females, so why would i spay him "/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's cute! Is he cross-eyed or is it an illusion? Are cross-eyes allowed in Bengals?

I don't envy anyone trying to keep an intact tom around :eek:

Last edited:

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its just the pic lol, obviously is he had a squint i wouldnt be allowed to show him. Like i have sed they have their own quarters so him being entire isnt going to be a problem. Obviously he may spray in heat when older, but he will do it in his own space which obv i clean daily anyways. Millions of breeders cope with many males at one time, im sure il survive with one! lol. Its not like he is going to be spraying around my living room "/ x

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a registered Oriental girl I'll be breeding, and I and many others would want to take our girls to a cat that is shown, so we know what the judges think of him.  If you plan on having outside females in strongly suggest you show him, and make sure you have suitable stud quarters - not just an outside house, but you need a smaller pen in it for the queen to go in initially.

You also need to know enough to help the owners of the girls both about him and about pregnancy, kittens and so on in general, and having a stud isn't for the faint-hearted.  A friend's cat went to stud and the stud owner spent 5 days washing blankets twice a day as she (the cat) kept peeing on them.

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice, my plan over the next few months whilst waiting for Honey's kittens and her nursing, is to get khaan to a few shows and learn as much as i can. Studding is the next inquisition but i find the showing more important for him. It may be that their kittens dont produce anything spectacular and it may not be worth studding him, but i would like to let him have a litter with another seal lynx point to see what that litter would look like :) I love orientals and siamese cats which is why i went for a SLP to go alongside Honey :) x

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry back to Honey though he nipples are big and pink, some have white spots on the ends, if this helps guess gestation? x

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anybody?? :( her bump has gotten bigger and firmer the last 2 days, its solid! x

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
anybody?? :( her bump has gotten bigger and firmer the last 2 days, its solid! x
What do you mean by bump? Like, the stomach? I have heard it called that in pregnant humans. Or, do you mean, the bumps on her nipples?
sorry back to Honey though he nipples are big and pink, some have white spots on the ends, if this helps guess gestation? x
Can you possibly post a picture? My only experience is with, working with breeders who produced F1-F2 Savannah, F1-F3 Chausie and had one F1 Safari. My Taro, was an F1 Bengal, that, never breed for the breeder, so, I got her as my pet.

Last edited:

natashajago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah sorry by bump i mean belly like baby bump lol, i will try and get a pic up as soon as possible for you x x