My Beautiful Cat Has Weird Fur....what Breed Is He???

HayleyMason666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi..... My cat has the weirdest fur!... I bought him as a Laperm X Norwegian cross but all that I've checked up on Laperms says that they have curly soft fur..... Smeagol has curly hair like a Brillo pad!... He's very healthy so it's not bad condition...he was bald when we got him at 12 weeks and now, at 6 months, he has bushy curly fur and has a big bald spot behind each ear!!
He also has a thick curly Mohican down his tail!... Any ideas? Thanks IMG_20180813_154621402.jpg
IMG_20180813_154621402.jpg
IMG_20180813_154621402.jpg
IMG_20180813_154608704.jpg

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat definitely has a coat mutation, either curly haired or wirehaired.

It is possible that your cat has the LaPerm curly coat mutation and your cat just doesn't have the typical coat type for that breed.
Breed Profile: The LaPerm
Most pictures of La Perm cats are the longhair variety, while your cat appears to be a shorthair, so that may explain some of the difference you are seeing in your cat's coat.

If it is a coarse feeling coat like a Brillo pad, another possibility may be the wirehair coat mutation.
Breed Profile: The American Wirehair

Both of these genes are dominant, so your cat would have one parent with the wirehaired or curly coat type.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HayleyMason666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah thank you.....ill look up pics and info on wire-haired!.... many thanks

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking along the same lines as Lutece. He doesn't look quite as curly as a LaPerm, so I was leaning more toward the wire-haired mutation. He's a very nice-looking cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HayleyMason666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking along the same lines as Lutece. He doesn't look quite as curly as a LaPerm, so I was leaning more toward the wire-haired mutation. He's a very nice-looking cat!
Ah thank you.....he is a very handsome boy!... I've been looking at the wire-haired info online and it sounds like his fur resembles what they are describing but the pictures of them looks much softer and straight.... I think you are right though, leaning towards the wire-haired.... the curls must be from his Laperm parentage..(and Norwegian cats have soft fur I think)....but the Brillo pad hair and bald spots have clearly come from somewhere else!... The vet we use thinks there's oriental or rex in his genes somewhere as he's very leggy with bigger than average ears??.... Who knows ...... He's completely beautiful in mind, body and soul