My beautiful boy is gone

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I turned 40 yesterday, and lost a piece of my heart.

My beautiful, sweet, loving cat Daniel, who I was fortunate to have for 13 years (far too little time), passed away a little after 9am.

Last Friday he was diagnosed with lung cancer and he was gone in a mere week. 

I took him to the vet on Monday to have his eye looked at. He had lens luxation. The surgery would cost $3000-$3500 and was a six hour drive away. I could not possibly afford the surgery, and he was 13 and HATED the car, so as heart broken as I was, I made the decision to treat the luxation with glaucoma drops. I made an appointment for that Friday to have the pressure in his eye checked, to decide about pain medication. By the time Friday came I had noticed that he was having labored breathing, and was more lethargic than he had been. I decided to have x-rays done because I thought he might have had aspiration pneumonia. The results took a half an hour, and when the vet showed me the x-rays, he pointed out several white spots and said that while there was a chance it was pneumonia, I should prepare for the worst because he thought it was metastasised cancer, which is untreatable. It felt like someone had sucker punched me right in the heart.

He gave Daniel an antibiotic shot, just in case, and told me I would know by the following week if the antibiotic was working, at which point we'd do another x-ray to make sure.

It was clear that it was cancer - as much as I did not want to believe it.

I got pain medication for him, recovery food, nutri-cal, KMR, and proceeded to syringe feed him as he wasn't interested in eating or drinking on his own, which I read could be the result of the pain meds he was giving, killing his appetite and possibly making him nauseated. He would go to the litter box when we put him in, and he would jump out on his own before we could take him out, sometimes running down the hall but would then flop to the floor with labored breathing from the slight exercise. 

It all happened SO fast, that I still can't quite believe it.

I decided on Wednesday that I would make the decision to have a vet come to the house to put him to sleep, because the last thing I wanted was for him to die on the 40 minute ride to the vet, scared and stressed, in a cage in the car. The vet wasn't going to be coming through on Thursday morning, but it could be arranged for Thursday evening.

At 5:30am his breathing was more labored, and our neighbour who is a vet tech was coming to give him a shot of morphine to make him as comfortable as possible, since the tramadol was giving him less and less relief, and pilling him caused more stress which caused worse breathing. She gave him the shot and stayed with us for a while, telling us that we should turn the lights out, close the blind as light can affect them while on the morphine. She told me that some cats become agitated on the morphine, but the hope was that he would get several hours of relief from the shot before the vet could come.

About ten minutes after she left for work, Daniel began struggling. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced and I will FOREVER feel guilt that I had not decided to have him put to sleep the day before. I held him as he struggled, listening with horror as he gasped his last breaths. I felt like I was dying right along with him. I cried and held him and rocked him afterward, kissing his beautiful face, and head, his soft ears and his little grey body. I cleaned him, even though there was nothing to clean - I just needed to touch him, pet him, hold him. I placed him in his bed, wrapped in a towel, on my own bed. I was utterly horrified at how fast rigor mortis set in. It broke my heart to hold him so cold and stiff.

A friend of the family made a little coffin for him, and I cried more because the rigor mortis meant that he wasn't going to fit unless, I thought, his legs were broken which was almost as horrifying as watching him die. The clinic said that I could press his legs close to his belly and they wouldn't break, that it was the muscles that were stiffened in rigor and so I wrapped him in the hoodie that he and his brother slept in 13 years ago when they were kittens, pressed to my own belly, warm and full of KMR. I then wrapped him in a warm blue blanket that he used to sleep on and placed him in his coffin and I kissed him again and again, desperately trying to hold on to him. Each and every step of this process broke my heart a little more. He was buried under a tree in our yard, beside my first cat who was almost 21 when she had to be put down 13 years ago, and our 12 year old rabbit who passed away several years ago too.

I have been a mess ever since. I close my eyes and I hear him gasping, I see him struggling, his beautiful yellow eyes looking at me as if asking why aren't you helping me? I didn't want to make that choice, to ask someone to come to my house and kill my beautiful baby, the thought was a knife to my heart every time I thought it in those far too few days. I didn't know how fast the end was coming, I waited to late, he suffered at the end because of my own selfish worry about choosing to end his life - basically asking me to choose to kill a cat that was like a child to me. I will NEVER forgive myself for that. I will NEVER forget the horrible way he died, and that if I had just decided sooner, his end could have been peaceful, pain free, stress free, and that he wouldn't have been scared as the cancer suffocated him. He was beautiful baby boy and I failed him terribly at the end.

I now live with those horrible memories and see every place he used to stretch out and sleep and imagine him still sleeping there, trying desperately to cling to the good memories, and not drown in my own guilt. 

I remember the way he would gallop down the hall whenever he heard me get up - he was a BIG boy and he sounded like a little horse coming down the hall. I remember the way he would run for the door whenever he heard someone come in the house - we called him our Walmart greeter. I remember the way he would sit on the corner of my bed and meow at me while I was on the computer, tilting his head as if to say, why aren't you petting me - or more usually, why aren't you feeding me? I remember how tiny he and his brother were when my parents showed up home with them, several months after having to put my first cat down. They were desperate to bring me out of the depression I was in at losing her. And they were right - my beautiful Jack and Daniel brought SO much joy to my life, there are no words to describe it. They were two of the biggest cats I'd ever seen when they grew up, aside from a Maine Coon, and people would also comment that Daniel looked like a little dog he was so big. I remember them both climbing up my legs to sit on my chest as I got their formula ready every couple of hours for weeks after they were brought home. They were strays from a race track whose mother had disappeared (sadly she was likely eaten by a coyote), and my mother had intended to take just Daniel, but Jack was having none of it. She picked Daniel up and Jack clung to him, refusing to let go and so she took them both. I remember the way Daniel LOVED his cosmic catnip toys. How he would take the toy in his paws and rub it all over his head before he would use it as a pillow as he took a nap afterward. I remember the way he would sprawl on his back on my bed, starfished and so relaxed, his beautiful belly spots on full display. I remember how very much I loved him and still do.

I hope one day the good memories will overshadow the horror of the end, but I don't think the guilt will ever go away. One day I hope to see him again, and tell him how very sorry I am for not easing his passing when I should have.

I still cannot believe he's gone. I cannot believe how fast he deteriorated. I cannot believe I didn't notice something sooner. I cannot believe that I will never get to hold him, or kiss him, or pet him again. I am trying to be strong for my other four cats, and especially his brother. They're all a little off since he died. Normally they would be on bed sleeping, but they're in various different rooms in the house. I wonder if they can still smell him in here, as his body was in my room for a couple of hours before I could bear to wrap him up and place him in the coffin.

And now I look at my four remaining cats, and especially Jack, and wonder if any of them have cancer, or some other disease, that is hidden. I plan to take Jack to the vet and get several tests done - x-rays, blood work etc. to see if there are any tumors like those that showed on Daniel's x-rays. I cannot even bear to think of it on the one hand, but am terrified that he too will be perfectly fine until he isn't, gone before I even have the chance to truly wrap my head around the news. 

I am exhausted with worry. I am exhausted with grief. I am exhausted by the knowledge that I failed Daniel on so many levels. 

The grief I feel over his loss feels like it will consume me. I love all of my cats, but Jack and Daniel were my BABIES. They are the ones that got me through my grief over losing my first cat, and to lose one of them takes my breath away. 

This is my beautiful boy, in good times and bad.

I'll love you forever, Daniel and will never stop missing you. <3

Daniel

2004-2017

If love could have healed you, you have lived forever

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on to those wonderful happier memories you have, they will bring you comfort in the years to come. Don't feel guilty because you wanted him with you for as long as you could, you had no way of knowing what would happen. None of us can predict a death for certain, don't feel bad for something you had no control over. Believe me, if you would have taken away his pain the day before, you would have still felt guilty because you would think you did it too soon, that he might have lived a little longer. That is the way of grief. To die is never easy, whether naturally or done at the vets, even if they come to your house, the cat still feels scared and uncertain, they sense what is happening and fight against it. You did everything exactly right, you were with him at the end, you were pouring your love and concern over him as he passed to the Rainbow Bridge, he died at home held by the one he loved the most in the world.

I was responsible for my own little ones death, so I know how soul crushing the guilt and pain can be. But I do know for certain our babies would NEVER want us to live the rest of our lives so sad because of them, if you were the first to go, you would want him to be happy and to live again, he would want no less for you. Try to concentrate on the good he brought into your life, and what he gave you, it is priceless. The bond you have formed with him is as strong as your love, it is spiritual, it is eternal. Use it to talk to him, to cry out your pain, to have him comfort you as you comforted him, he will, that I know for certain. Your paths will cross again, he will follow you on your life's journey for now,  always there, always loving you.  He would never hold you responsible for something you did out of love. Please get your pain out, it becomes too heavy if held inside. We will share your burden and make it lighter, it helps to talk to those who understand. I wish I could make your pain go away, but the past can never be changed and we go on living in a world that is a little darker without them in it. Take care of yourself, I'll pray for you both, may God bless you for loving one of His own so much..............RIP precious Daniel, you will never be forgotten, and will always be securely held in a loving heart.May your journey to the Rainbow Bridge be swift, may your spot in the sun be a favorite, sleep tight sweet Prince!

Last edited:

tamu708

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm am so very sorry.  He was such a beautiful boy with the sweetest face.  You were a blessing in his life and gave him 13 wonderful years filled with love and he knew how much you loved him.  

RIP little angel.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in tears reading what you and your beautiful boy went through. I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Daniel know that you are and always be loved by your family 

Last edited:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with in your time of heartbreak. :(

winksmom

Darling in his basket
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart is with you. I had to put my little boy down recently. It hurts so bad I know. I'm so sorry for your loss.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Condolences on losing your sweet prince Daniel. He strongly favored my beloved Joey, who died in 2009. Di&Bob is exactly right that with grief, you either regret having them put down too soon or not doing it soon enough.  I, too, am mourning the loss of my ferals plus 2 blind kitties who were killed by a mountain lion - I,too,feel guilt at not being able to keep them safe. I just pray that they are all over Rainbow Bridge, enjoying their good rewards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words.

I've been sick with grief since Daniel died in my arms, and terrifying myself with the thought that his brother, or my other three, are also sick but just hiding it as well as Daniel apparently did. :( 

Last night I burst into tears because I found a brush I'd been using on Daniel in his last week, the little pile of fur a stark reminder that he is really gone. I put it in a little ziplock bag, unable to part with it, as it is the last tangible piece of him that I have. 

I purchased several memorial items to remember him - one to keep in the house, lights to go in the tree he is buried under, a garden stone with the line that feels so true "if love could have saved you, you would have lived forever" and a sleeping cat with wings statue that has a base on which I plan to place an engraved plate for both Daniel and my first cat that I lost 13 years ago. I feel guilty that I didn't do something for her the year she died, and feel guilty that I feel like my bond with Daniel was stronger. I loved her to pieces, but god...honestly, everything seems to be making me feel guilty about something.

I worry that the antibiotic that the vet gave Daniel (Convenia) contributed to his fast decline after reading the horrible list of side effects is can have (so much so that I won't risk allowing the vets to ever give that shot to any of my remaining furbabies). I worry the morphine he got only 20 or 30 minutes before he died was the cause of his death that day. I worry that I'm not noticing signs of illness in my remaining four furbabies that I should be, and in the converse, worry that I'm imagining signs that aren't actually there. I worry that his death is affect my remaining cats in ways I don't know, or am not seeing.

Basically, I've been a basket case since Daniel's diagnosis on the 31st of last month but ever more so since he died on Thursday. Even knowing that the pain will slowly lessen over time, it feels like it never will, like the pain in heart right now is going to consume me.

I'm trying so hard not to let it affect the way I interact with my remaining babies. I love them all dearly, and especially Jack as he's Daniel's brother and being that they were my two senior boys, who got me through losing my first cat, they were undoubtedly my favorites. It's so hard though. I think I've started distancing because I'm terrified I'm going to lose them too. It makes little sense - because you'd think the thought of losing them would make me want to love them all the more, but it's like I'm unconsciously trying to protect myself - even though the pain would be horrid regardless, and if anything I'd feel even more guilt if something happened to them.

It's like I know all of these logical things - grief is normal, no one can tell you how to grieve, everyone grieves differently, of course I love my cats, etc. etc. - but emotionally I am so messed up that logic goes out the window.

Every morning I wake up, expecting to hear Daniel come running down the hall to greet me, and I'm left gutted when I remember that he's gone.

I will try and distract myself with tv or a movie or something, and then feel guilty because I found something funny and it's like, I shouldn't be finding anything funny right now, I shouldn't be trying to distract myself from the fact that Daniel is gone. I SHOULD feel gutted and desperate with grief because he was my BABY. :(

I know, again, logically, that I can't possibly live inside of my grief forever, that I do have to live and all of that, but emotions not logic rule right now and I feel like I'm on a roller coaster.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't fight it, but don't let it consume you either. I still feel that tightening in my chest, the pain in my heart  and tears still come 5 years later, Not as often, not nearly as consuming, but still there, that is what love does when the one you loved so much leaves us behind. I, too, quit enjoying things I used to love, there didn't seem to be any joy left in my heart at all. But we can't live the rest of our life this way, that is not at all what they would want for us. We have to try to live again. For them. 

I always said grief is like an ocean. Sometimes the waves are gentle and we are almost comforted by the gentle swell and begin to enjoy life again. Then WHAM, there it comes , a tsunami, sweeping everything we worked for away and leaving us once again desperate and drowning. The tears we cry fill that ocean, but like the end of every disaster, there comes a feeling of relief and happiness that we survived, of hope that the future will bring us back into the world of living once again. Always look forward, it is all we have, we can never go back to the past, but we can visit and remember the good times, and use those memories to build upon, to bring us comfort and to know that we shared a love that will be with us for an eternity. . 

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're right. It does feel like the swelling and ebbing of the ocean.

I still cry when I think of having to put my first cat down 13 years ago. She was old and barely hanging on, but I felt like my parents were killing my cat, not easing her suffering. Now with Daniel, I feel like I should have eased his suffering instead of him dying naturally, because it was such a horrifying and scarring event that will haunt me forever. I'm sure that 13 years from now I'll still be crying for Daniel, and still be crying for my first cat. They were my babies. I don't have kids - my cats are like my children, and it literally felt like I was losing a child when Daniel died. 

I know that it will take time for me to feel normal again. I also know that it has only been four days - which feel like the blink of an eye - since he died, so I'm certainly not going to start feeling normal yet.

I think it just helps getting this out there, knowing that there are other people who understand the loss of a beloved pet that you loved with your whole heart. The people in my real life all seem to think I should be over this now. Even the ones that had pets. I just don't think they were quite as attached to their pets as I was to Daniel. My cousin does though her grief has taken the path of contacting "animal psychics" to talk to her deceased pets. That's not a route that I personally would take. That said, we're not really close enough for me to be able to talk to her the way I can here, so I am immensely grateful for this site.

I'll never get over losing Daniel, but reading other people's stories, and sharing memories and pictures, does help me remember the good times with my baby boy.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about Daniel. He was soooo beautiful!!!
It hurts so much to lose one of our babies.

I am sure the girls are fighting over him at the Bridge!!!

Hugs,

Mia

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :( I'm having good days and bad days. Yesterday I got a sympathy card in the mail from my vet clinic, that all the staff signed. I also was given a little polished river rock with two paw prints and "In Loving Memory" etched into it from them. On the same day the card came, the little memorial statue I bought of a curled up sleeping cat with wings arrived, so I was a bit of a mess for a little while.

The little statue is really sweet though, and my mother said it immediately reminded her of Daniel because the rump section is big and rounded like my big boy had. It's also a grey resin and he was grey. I'm going to get a little flexible plaque plate that can be attached to the base too. It's still much too cold to put it out, and I need to get sand to fill it to make sure the wind doesn't take it, before I do put it out, but I'm happy with it. It was expensive, and isn't huge, but I feel like it was worth it for Daniel.

I am also getting another memorial that is a garden stone to place under the tree as well, as my first cat is buried there, along with two of my rabbits (I've been dealing with guilt over not having done anything like this when they died since I ordered the memorials). I've also bought a set of solar lights that I am going to string in the tree.

I'll likely be a mess when it comes time to put it all outside under the tree, and still tear up when I look at images of him and remember I'm never going to hold him again, but slowly I am finding more good memories than sad ones.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Your memorial sounds beautiful, just like Daniel and the rest of your babies.

Thinking of you,

Hugs

Mia

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

This is the statue, and I plan to get a little plate like this person has put on theirs.

This is the garden stone

And this is the memorial I got to keep inside the house, with a picture of Daniel

The statue is the only thing that has come so far, but by the time it starts to warm up sometime in May everything will be here to put my little memorial for Daniel, Cuddles (my first cat), Iggy and Moo Cow (my rabbits) outside.

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That statue of the kitty is so precious. I wish I could find something like that here. I hope your pain is easing away a little each day. The guilt is horrendous and so is the pain.

My guilt lies in Me putting Meela in the animal clinic for fluids and the panicking that she wasn't going to get better this putting her down. It was the techs who put me in a panic and I couldn't think clearly. I made a decision without truly weighing out the options, if there any more. After making her stay there that day, I OWED her the chance to go home for one more day and I took that away.

I have so many what ifs that will never be answered. I am fighting to survive each day without her and the guilt I feel. It seems impossible some days but I also realize that nothing I wish or think will bring her back.

I miss her so much like you miss yours. We WILL get through this somehow. I wish there was a rewind button for doing tho vs differently. God bless you.

forcryinoutloud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought the statue through amazon. I was really pleased with it when it came. I was worried I would end up disappointed, especially considering the price I paid through the Canadian site, but it really is lovely.

Aw, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Honestly, I think that regardless of how a beloved pet dies, there will always be guilt as to whether we let them go too soon, or that we didn't let them go soon enough. Di and Bob above was right about that. I will forever regret not having Daniel put to sleep the day before he died, to have eased his passing instead of the truly awful end that he had. I will be haunted by that until my dying day. Today was a bad day, because I got hit with another visceral memory of his end. I loved him SO much, and the guilt I feel that his passing was not peaceful absolutely guts me to my core. :(

I think what ifs are definitely a part of the grieving process. I keep wondering, what if I'd noticed something sooner, what if I had taken him in and they had found the initial cancer before it had moved to his lungs. Would I have gotten years more with him? The thought tears at my heart because I would give anything to have had more years with him. I know though that by the time he started showing something wrong it was already too late. It hurts to think that, it hurts even more to try and accept that. I'm not quite there yet - I still wonder if there were something I could have done differently that would mean he would be sprawled happily on the bed behind me, or running down the hall to greet me every morning.

I have good moments and bad moments. Guilt filled moments, and moments of acceptance. Frankly, I'm kind of all over the place with my emotions and I suspect I will be for quite a while to come. Everyone mourns differently, and everyone mourns for different lengths of time. I think it makes it easier, giving myself permission to take as long as I need - even if it's months or years - because he was my baby, and I loved him with every fibre of my being, and he deserves to be mourned.

I can't say whether your Meela would have survived longer, if you'd done anything differently - I don't think anyone could say that for sure, but I do think that she, like my Daniel, deserves to be mourned because they were beloved pets that forever touched our lives, and our hearts - guilt is a part of that mourning process, but I know that you, like me, did everything you could for her given the information that you had. Would we do things differently a second time around? I'm sure we probably would, but hindsight is always 20/20. We will, like you said, get through this, but there is no rush. No one can say how long someone should mourn the loss of a loved one - human or animal - only that it will take the time it takes for our hearts to mend, knowing that a part of our hearts will forever be with our furbabies.